I am looking to make a game... (locked)

11 posts

Flag Post

I am looking to make a game. I need some people to help however, I do not know how to program, nor can I do the artwork, what I can do is the story. I will require a person who is good with doing pixel art as this will be either 16 bit or if possible 32 bit. It shall be an RPG game, one that is a mix of games I have played over the years, such as Final Fantasy and Star Ocean and Phantasy Star, and I will include Zelda for the fact that it has been a favorite of mine for many many years. Whoever would like to help it would be most appreciative, you will not go unrewarded unless you volunteer so please, pm me on here with any information or email me at alaricmercier@gmail.com

Flag Post

Try this thread in the ‘Collaborations’ subforum (or would a kind mod please move this one?) but you might have a hard time finding partners even if you are an exceptional storyteller, which you should demonstrate with some writing samples. Writing is not a critical part of most Flash games, programming and graphics are (and to a lesser extent music/sounds). Good luck.

Flag Post

I very much recommend you to become a programmer or artist. Otherwise you have next to nothing to offer.

Flag Post

This I understand Drakim, but I am not in any kind of course for programming, I am still in high school and my school does not offer that course, I can do much of the storyline and description and other things relating to the subject of storyline description etc.

Flag Post
Originally posted by The_Valkyr:

This I understand Drakim, but I am not in any kind of course for programming, I am still in high school and my school does not offer that course, I can do much of the storyline and description and other things relating to the subject of storyline description etc.

You can try to learn programming by yourself. There are some tutorials on the internet, you can buy a book…

Flag Post

Do not ahve the time to learn anything at the moment, I am in a private school and get tons of homework to do so when I have free time I like to game.

Flag Post

Do not ahve the time to learn anything at the moment, I am in a private school and get tons of homework to do so when I have free time I like to game.

Use the time on creating games instead of playing them if you are actually serious about wanting to make one.

Flag Post

Yes I know, and I am serious, but if I work about 12 hours each day for school and whatnot, I need to have some fun time, I dont wanna cram in even more learning, the summer will be better for me to learn programming.

Flag Post

Then I don’t really see how you have the time to be making games in the first place. I would recommend you taking up another hobby if programming is not your fancy. It’s not like I actively want to stop you from gathering a team of a programmer and an artist to make the game for you based on your story script, I’m just saying that realistically, it ain’t gonna happen.

Why would the programmer and artist spend their free time making your game? They probably have tons of their own ideas they would rather spend their time on. The only way you can collaborate with people is by bringing a clear useful skill to the table. If you truly are such an amazing storywriter, you could write a script and present it to people, but I seriously doubt that it will amaze them that much. Stories are usually about implementation, how well it is told, rather than abstract planning.

Flag Post

Why do you want to make a game if not as a hobby? Why would you take up a hobby that you do not think is fun? Making a game from scratch takes a ton of effort, think of it as taking a piece of wood and carving a model ship out of it. If you do not find the creative process appealing in all its minutia and constant attention to detail, then forget about making games and keep playing them.

Flag Post

Valkr, you should try to learn a little everyday. Just force yourself to do it, even if it’s only a half hour a day. I have confirmed this approach works. There will be times you don’t want to stick to the schedule, but you just have to do the best you possibly can.

I don’t have much time either (I work full time), but if I do a little everyday, I make a lot of progress in the long run. I’ve been doing this with a variety of subjects, including programming, guitar, and exercise.