Proposing Rule Changes in the GitD? page 3

64 posts

Flag Post

Does GitD have a dedicated website?
Because some of these issues could be made a lot easier to deal with if it did… for example…

Issue 6
Encourage developers to upload their game early… allow them to update with bug fixes and new features up to the deadline… then while voting is in progress, remove the upload button until the winner has been named… after that, allow the developers to update the game as much as they want… It won’t make any difference to the competition at that point.

Also, using cookies and session data, you could tell if people are actually playing the game that they’re voting on… an alt is more likely to sign in for long enough to vote, then switch account, rather than spend time playing the game…
So you could add weight to voters that are spending the time playing and disqualify voters that aren’t… I don’t think restricting votes to players of a certain level is the way or having an account for a certain amount of time is the best option, but again, you could add weight to those people… say, give them the weight of 2 votes… or even a developer who’s entered can vote and their vote counts as 5 votes… and nominated judges votes count as 10… or something like that?
This way, new accounts and people who are just trying to cheat the system aren’t going to get as far as someone who’s got the vote of 7/10 judges and 100+ experienced players and other developers…

Another idea would be to enforce the use of the Kong API and use a scoreboard to add weight to votes… someone who’s score is less than 100 (for example) hasn’t spent enough time playing the game to really give it any serious consideration, so their vote doesn’t count…

Anyway, sorry if these ideas don’t sound suitable, I haven’t been on here long myself and don’t really know much about GitD… I just found this topic quite interesting and thought I’d throw some ideas in there.

Flag Post

Lol at all these rules. Enjoy your three votes per a GiTD

Flag Post

I actually agree with Darkscanner. It’s not like we get loads of votes every GiTD and It seems like it will be a lot less popular than it has been before with these new rules. We didn’t even get THAT many submissions previously.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkscanner:

These aren’t rules, they’re proposals. The ponit of the thread is for everyone to be able to discuss (or suggest) changes to GiTD in order to make it run better. That doen’t mean that every proposal will be implemented, especaiily as some of them contradict each other. Still, just in case:

Proposal 7: Every contest should feature Justin Bieber

and

Proposal 8: A new voting system for the end of the contest.

The last two GiTD’s have ended with recounts and different people claiming different tallies for the entrants. This is a problem because it makes the result uncertain, and that doesn’t feel fair.

I suggest other ways to handle voting are looked into, such as logging votes via some new GDD functionality. An automated system would have the advantage of not missing votes or counting incorrectly, whereas the current voting system gets confusing when there are a lot of entrants or a lot of entries. When

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:
Originally posted by Darkscanner:

These aren’t rules, they’re proposals. The ponit of the thread is for everyone to be able to discuss (or suggest) changes to GiTD in order to make it run better. That doen’t mean that every proposal will be implemented, especaiily as some of them contradict each other. Still, just in case:

Proposal 7: Every contest should feature Justin Bieber

and

Proposal 8: A new voting system for the end of the contest.

The last two GiTD’s have ended with recounts and different people claiming different tallies for the entrants. This is a problem because it makes the result uncertain, and that doesn’t feel fair.

I suggest other ways to handle voting are looked into, such as logging votes via some new GDD functionality. An automated system would have the advantage of not missing votes or counting incorrectly, whereas the current voting system gets confusing when there are a lot of entrants or a lot of entries. When

I think you accidentally an an extra word.

Flag Post

I was just making sure you read to the end of my post >____> :D

Flag Post

Now that this has died down, voting will commence soon.

Flag Post

Um, I know I’ve been banned from GDR and all, but I came back today, and saw the results for the 33rd GiTD and saw this discussion, then my laptop shut down for some reason… Too many tabs open? Don’t know, don’t care. Coz my screen went all black and the text went green and I recalled a Simpsons episode where Homer works from home using a computer and presses “y” or “n” to control the power plant, and, please don’t ask me how I thought of it, my mind works weird… Anyways, I thought maybe you could have, instead of feedback, a form, a sort of criteria. I’m no game dev, so I dunno what the criteria could consist of, but every section could be out of ten and each person that votes rates the game in each section. Each result could then by averaged, leaving an average rating out of ten. The game with the highest average for a section gets awarded a special (cool and excitingly) named award, as goes for each section. All the averages for each section for an individual game are totalled, with each game. The game with the highest total would win the Grand Title, if that all makes sense. This would help to see everything is valid without every person that votes having to write, as someone else said a while back in this post, forget who, a mini review on the game. :) Hope this helps.

Flag Post

I think that’s a good idea, voting every game out of 10 could fix a few problems.

Flag Post

I could try to model some 3D trophies for the winners, that would actually be printable with a 3D printer. Don’t expect them for the next GiTD, but I’ll have them ready for #35 if people think that’s a good idea. I could also engrave the contest title, theme and the name of the winning game into each trophy.

Flag Post

What do you do if someone only rates one game? Or every game except one? What if they only rate some categories?

I also want to mention that some GiTD entries are not very good. Happens every cycle. I would like to preserve a system in which I am not forced to rate a bad game and give it low marks just for the sake of completing a rating survey. Even though I would like the ability to recognize more than two games, I do not want to have to rank every single entry, including those that have objectively no chance of winning.

Flag Post

The value of a game is more than the sum of its parts.
Also, I’d prefer my votes to reflect my own set of criteria.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zoib:

I could try to model some 3D trophies for the winners, that would actually be printable with a 3D printer. Don’t expect them for the next GiTD, but I’ll have them ready for #35 if people think that’s a good idea. I could also engrave the contest title, theme and the name of the winning game into each trophy.

Totally took my idea :D

Flag Post

@Mossy

Let’s both make trophies! I’m still really a noob when it comes to 3D modelling, but I did make a rough one last night. I think it needs to be hollowed out more efficiently or something, because a 5cm L x 4cm W x 6cm H trophy would cost $60.00 to print on Shapeways.com. Let’s work together and make some awesome GiTD trophies that we can engrave and print! The one I made just has “GiTD 34” engraved on it right now and isn’t smoothed out properly.