Blink alpha

15 posts

Flag Post

The game is here (as it’s alpha, it’s not officially at Kongregate): http://www.fastswf.com/WY3cUSs
The aim is to remove all the “shields” from the game field, by clicking on groups of adjacent gems of the same color. They will get removed along with any shields underneath. After you defeat one level, the next one is loaded.

I welcome any kind of supported criticism, ideas of altering, enhancing or extending the game, level ideas (8×12, but can be as big as 10×15), ideas for background and storyline.

Several features are planned, but not yet implemented: Bigger blasts to generate energy needed for special moves: additinal lightnings, fireball(s), piercing, inversions, color bombs etc.

Flag Post

You appear to have mistyped ‘Medium’ as ‘HARD

Flag Post

In fact, “medium” is just 5 colors. I’ve tested 4 colors for teh lulz, and came out with a win button. While yes, an unfair random screws many attempts. :)

Flag Post

What’s my goal? How do I win? How do I lose? What’s the lightning about? What is the relevance of the different shapes? What’s that bubbly liquid bar for? Why should I care how many times it’s been filled + 1 (the number at the top)? what are the white and yellow circles supposed to represent? Do they appear and disappear at random, or is there a pattern? What’s the rainbow (?) bar at the bottom? Is the number next to it my score? Is there a target score nobody told me about? When does this game end?

Flag Post

The game ends if you run out of time. The bottom bar is time. The top left bar is multiplier. The circles are the “shields” you are to remove. Lightnings remove shields if you remove many shapes at once. Different shapes are for scoring only, there’s no relevance yet. Circles go from white to gray to yellow to none (originally gold, then stone then wood, hence shields). So far you can’t win, it’s endurance. Perhaps if you defeat last level on “very hard” it’ll be counted as a win.

Also, why is this post?

Flag Post

HMmmmm. Any other opinions? “Plain uninteresting” will do, if argumented.

Flag Post

Oh, ok, I think I managed to get the hang of it. I got ~36K on medium.

Perhaps make the green and yellow more different, because they look quite similar next to each other, especially if they’re triangle gems.
The same for the blue-green-aqua and the grey-silver-white ones (in very hard).
Also, maybe remove the yellow markers that indicate a match more quickly, because if you get a chain of matches in succession, they just kind of float there not doing much.

What you need to do is have some background thing going on, of which the matching things bit is only the game mechanic. Like Scurvy Scallywags, at the start of this article or Puzzle Quest or something. That’s what makes the game compelling and exciting, otherwise it’ll just be another match-a-number-of-things game.

Flag Post

Initially this wasn’t meant to be anything but “another match-things game”, I thought that I can try to make a lot of eye candy that I can stuff into a simple game concept. I think I shouldn’t make another Elements of Arkandia, or, if I should, I should do it my own style. :)

Making colors different? Okay, will do. White was changed to orange already, as I think I will add a “rainbow” thing there.

Thanks for your reply.

Flag Post

Okay, here’s the update: http://www.fastswf.com/n6yN7m0
The game now features “powers” which you can perform at the cost of orb charges. A short description is included in fastSWF. The colors have been balanced a little to be more distinguishable to the eye. Changed level design somewhat, so probably this will make the game behave differently at different difficulty levels, maybe making medium easier at first.

Comments welcome here, as fastSWF does not feature that function, and here are mods around already.

Flag Post

Original version:
Combo bar drains waaay too quickly. Making rapid 3-object matches is still not fast enough to keep the bar moving “up” and finding/planning larger matches takes longer than the bonus takes to drain, excepting exceptional luck. I think I got it up to 3 at best.

Flag Post

Well, I was able to get original past 19 while there were no lightnings past 1000pts (I don’t remember if there are 1000pts bonus lightnings in first version), because those lightnings fill up lightning bar way before 10 and trigger a discharge, dropping bar to 1 (0) backwards. (Oops, the published version does not have lightning charge at all – so, past 19 it is. But, not instantly. Just tried it again, got 9 with relative ease.) Second version adds lightnings for score only if the removal triggers lightning by itself (6 gems or more for normal, 5 or more for hard/VH), so it’s possible to keep charge low while racking up points. But, having those lightnings go off helps clearing the level. I have found that I am able to enter a state of mind necessary to grow multiplier up faster than it goes down. (A bit of technical details: each gem removed adds +6+difficulty to combo bar, which tops at 250 giving a charge. Lightnings add 40 apiece. Difficulty is 0 for normal, 1 for hard, 2 for VH. Removing enough gems for two lightnings prior to points gives extra time. Points give lightnings for 1k, 3k, 5k and onward)

Flag Post

Yeah, I totally can’t maintain the blue bar on the left at all.
http://youtu.be/hA0Nh92VimE

Flag Post

Hmm, you are spreading your search efforts too wide. Most of the time triggering a match creates another on the same spot, or right above the selected spot, and you were wandering away several times in a row even if the match weas right under the mouse cursor. But I have seen you getting 2 charges at 01:00, so you still have potential to improve :)

Flag Post

Ironically every time I tried the narrow search I would find nothing.

Also, two things:

1) the yellow shapes disappear into the yellow shields.
1.5) The yellow glowy “hey over here” does too.
2) the triangles are a bitch to click on because you have to click ON the shape, not the space it sits in. e.g. if I click the upper left corner of a square and it gets replaced with a triangle, I should be able to click again in the same spot and make another match.
2.5) The different shapes are distracting, especially if they’re meaningless. If they do end up getting meaning, then it’s going to be one more piece of information to track and get lost.

Flag Post

1) OK, I am planning to redesign shields figures anyway.
2) Not exactly, the actual space to click is a hidden bitmap with regions 34×34 painted white. So, regardless of shape, the hitbox is the same.