GiTD #35 Ten Seconds

82 posts

Flag Post

Flag Post

Theme: Ten Seconds
Contest Start:
Contest End: 9.2.13 5PM EDT/2PM PST

Contest voting procedure: As voted on in the previous thread, voting will work as followed:

Past and present participants to the GitD may vote without being questioned, but all others may have their votes rejected by the GitD organizer and/or past and present GitD participants if those votes are deemed unfit.

What that means for you, the ones entering the contest:
You will have free reign to enter and vote if you’ve previously entered a contest. However, all newcomers may be scrutinized and have their vote thrown out if it is deemed unfit by other contest participants, and those who have competed prior. Besides that, voting works normally. YOu choose a first place to receive two votes, and a second to receive one vote. You must vote for two entries, and you may not vote for yourself or use alts to vote.

The second place voting rule, was that every person who submits a vote must submit feedback on those votes for them to count. Now, that option didn’t win, but I would personally like to see more people giving detailed feedback on entries. Now, I know it’s not that easy, life happens, you may not have time. I just wanted to throw that out there.

The rest of the contest will proceed normally, if anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me or post in this thread.

Flag Post

How about “Continue a previous GitD entry” for the theme?

Flag Post

That would only be open to previous entrants, really. I don’t think that’s a good idea.

Flag Post

‘Boss Battle’

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobJanova:

That would only be open to previous entrants, really. I don’t think that’s a good idea.

Iprobably wouldn’t ever use that as an idea just due to this. If anything I would either just completely reuse a theme, or a “wildcard” event where people could do whatever they want.t

Flag Post

I don’t really have a specific suggestion, but maybe instead of a word or basic theme you could go with a phrase. Or maybe a famous or interesting song title or something like that and see how people interpret it.

Flag Post

a phrase

“And then the rabbit exploded.”
“It’s aardvark or bust!”
“Two for the frog, one in the sky.”
“He jumped, but the panda wasn’t there.”
“What would you do with a greased monkey?”
“All the money, none of the mayonnaise.”
“Batteries make for great sandwiches.”
“My muffin will never die.”
“The king said unto his shovel…”

a famous or interesting song title or something like that

What is Love?
He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands.
The Will of One.
Back on Planet Earth.
Can’t Run Forever.
I Kill the Fight.
Release My Soul.
Metal Gear Solid 2 Main Theme. <- Best suggestion, obviously
These Are the Things that Bilbo Baggins Hates.

Flag Post

Search

Flag Post

isometric.
racing.
low res.

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerberberber:
low res.

This.

As for phrase/song, also a good idea if Mossy can find a good one to use. Of course, any song suggestion I would make would be off personal preference.

Other possible themes:
Illusion
Dreaming
Biome
Mossy 3000 (An older game system that only had 8 colors and was limited to 32×32 tiles)
Redirection
3 rules (In your instructions, you can only say 3 rules. No other hints/clues).
Simulation
Party (game must be able to handle 3+ people on the same computer)

Flag Post

I object “Party” as hotseat multiplayer – this thing is TOO HARD to debug in time, just because you might not get enough people to play it with you here, and stop every so often so you can fix an issue and recompile. But “Party” can mean more things than this.

Flag Post

This will clash will Ludum Dare on the 23rd-26th so you may get less people entering.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Feffers:

This will clash will Ludum Dare on the 23rd-26th so you may get less people entering.

Thanks for the heads up!

What do you guys recommend for a date?

Flag Post

^ I’d like to be off work on upload day, so a Sunday or a Wednesday would be good for me.

As for the theme, I think DUEL or BOSSBATTLE would be nice. Too many games depend on a great multitude of enemies to challenge the player. Having one really bad-ass enemy would be interesting…

DUEL has many potential interpretations, so that just may be my vote.

Flag Post

Start at the same time as LD, with the same theme. If you miss the deadline for LD, you’ve still got a week to enter GiTD. If you make the deadline, you’ve got a week to take feedback and improve.

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

Start at the same time as LD, with the same theme. If you miss the deadline for LD, you’ve still got a week to enter GiTD. If you make the deadline, you’ve got a week to take feedback and improve.

That’s actually a great idea. Kill two birds with one stone.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MossyStump:
Originally posted by truefire:

That’s actually a great idea. Kill two birds with one stone.

My thoughts exactly. LD sometimes has good themes too. It might be good practice for us to try our hand at building a game based on LD’s theme, even if we don’t actually join LD this time around.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Count me in if you go with the LD idea. We get a nosy at each other’s code too.

Also, 3 stones!

Flag Post

Well, there’s the timeless classic “dinner and a movie”, but it can seem stilted and boring, and does not show much originality. Plus movie theaters aren’t really the best place for talking so for a first date, where the goal is more to get to know each other, I’d rather recommend something more active.

Try to cater to your date’s tastes, as much as you know them. Go for something you know you both enjoy. Physical activities are great, couples dancing in particular. Try to stay away from things that are too competitive unless you are both into it and neither is a sore loser.

You don’t have to go all fancy either, just take your date to a cafe that has a patio or a terrace and enjoy getting to know each other while sipping coffee or whatever.

Oh, a GiTD date. Er, yea, truefire’s idea is awesome!

Flag Post

Contest End: 8.32.13 5PM EDT/2PM PST

YESSS! AUGUST HAS BEEN EXTENDED!

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

Contest End: 8.32.13 5PM EDT/2PM PST

YESSS! AUGUST HAS BEEN EXTENDED!

Hey! August has been extended, but the contest has been shortened. I count only 9 days there. If this is to be a ten-day contest, it should end on August 33. :P

Flag Post

Sometimes I wonder how I dress myself in the morning.

Flag Post

Alright so, the start date is going to be the 23’rd of this month, to coincide with the start of Ludum Dare. Another reason for this, is because I’m totally going to hijack the Ludum Dare theme, so the contests won’t interfere with each other, and to give people extra incentive to continue working on their Ludum Dare games, if you participate!

The “official” contest start, will be when the LD theme is announced, the end date/time will be the same as posted.