What's a good modern as3 IDE on Linux?

12 posts

Flag Post

I’ve recently moved to Ubuntu (because I hate windows) and I’m having trouble finding a good updated IDE with a decent amount of features. I love FlashDevelop, but I tried everything to get it to work and it just wouldn’t. I ran it under winxp but it was too slow and troublesome.
I don’t really want to run any program with Wine, so if there’s a nice native Linux running IDE, I’d love to hear about it. Thanks

Flag Post

Good luck finding a standalone Flash player that works consistently with its Windows counterpart.

Flag Post

I think FP on chrome is up to date except to HW acceleration. I would go with sublime and OpenFL since with OpenFL you know you can port to flash after you develop it for html/native.

Flag Post

Can you compile AS3 through terminal?
If possible, just use an editor like emacs. I like using Kate. I’ve even asked her out, but she rejected me.
http://kate-editor.org
Oh, those editors don’t have a lot of features.

If it’s not possible to compile AS3 through terminal, try running FlashDevelop through Wine. Or buy Crossover and run it through that. Crossover’s really good.

Flag Post

Thanks for all the editors, guys. I’m just going to use Sublime Text 2 because it seems to have a lot of features and is probably the best I can get. I managed to compile through the terminal with flex and display the swf in firefox so all’s good I think. (:

Edit: If someone comes across this post and wants to compile, I found this .txt file somewhere on how to easily do it.

Edit2: Just wanted to say that I used that flash player debugger standalone for Windows using Wine and could run my swf through that. I also used Ubuntu Tweak to let Nautilus know to open the standalone player whenever I open a swf file.

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerberberber:

I think FP on chrome is up to date except to HW acceleration. I would go with sublime and OpenFL since with OpenFL you know you can port to flash after you develop it for html/native.

That’s a browser plugin :P

Flag Post

You have to pay for Sublime Text 2, but I’ve read it’s worth it.
Thanks for the link to the .txt file. It will surely be useful as more people switch to Linux.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SWATLLAMA:

You have to pay for Sublime Text 2, but I’ve read it’s worth it.
Thanks for the link to the .txt file. It will surely be useful as more people switch to Linux.

You do not have to pay to use sublime text 2, there is an infinite trial period (like rar). Have you tried it yet?

Flag Post

Having done this, I can safely say there is no preset IDE for as3 development in linux.

Your best bet is to take an editor/ide you like, and use it. Most of the time, this will require you to set up flex, and add it to your path so you can just do mxmlc where you need to. However, if I remember, there is a plugin for eclipse for this.

With that being said, the second best choice to an ide is an editor. With that, you have multiple options from gedit (notepad), to geany (multi-language ide), to sublime text 2 (never used it, but I hear it’s good). Depending on how much time you’re willing to invest, you can ditch the gui entirely and go with vi/vim/emacs. They’re powerful if you learn to use them and configure them the way you want.

The last choice, would be to run wine and FlashDevelop.

If you need any help on setup, let me know. I chose the flex/vim route, due to the fact I’m using an older machine.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Feffers:

Thanks for all the editors, guys. I’m just going to use Sublime Text 2 because it seems to have a lot of features and is probably the best I can get. I managed to compile through the terminal with flex and display the swf in firefox so all’s good I think. (:

Edit: If someone comes across this post and wants to compile, I found this .txt file somewhere on how to easily do it.

Edit2: Just wanted to say that I used that flash player debugger standalone for Windows using Wine and could run my swf through that. I also used Ubuntu Tweak to let Nautilus know to open the standalone player whenever I open a swf file.

Edit ~/.bashrc
Add this line: PATH=$PATH:whereverflexis/bin
In my case: PATH=$PATH:/home/shalmezad/.flex/bin
This will add flex’s bin to your path.
That way, instead of going to ~/.flex/bin, and running ./mxmlc /your/path/to/your/main/file.as, you can just go to your path and run mxmlc on the file. It’s easier, and what you should do if you plan on running a command over and over again.

For example, in my case:
~/programming/4colorRPG/$ mxmlc src/Main.as

Another alternative would be to set up a make file, so you can have it preset with options (such as size, background color, main file, etc). Then, you can just run ‘make’ without anything else.

Flag Post

Thanks a ton for that information. The problem with sublime text 2 is that there’s no auto complete for as3 and I can’t figure how to make a build command when you press F5 or something, otherwise it’d be good. I’d love to know how you actually setup your FlashDevelop though, because I tried for a long time to get it working with no success. I’d definitely use it over ST2 because I love the program to death.

Those commands are really good ideas. Right now I made a short bash script that compiles, shows any errors and then runs the swf, but these will be very helpful to add-on. thanks.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Feffers:

Thanks a ton for that information. The problem with sublime text 2 is that there’s no auto complete for as3 and I can’t figure how to make a build command when you press F5 or something, otherwise it’d be good. I’d love to know how you actually setup your FlashDevelop though, because I tried for a long time to get it working with no success. I’d definitely use it over ST2 because I love the program to death.

Those commands are really good ideas. Right now I made a short bash script that compiles, shows any errors and then runs the swf, but these will be very helpful to add-on. thanks.

I think with haxe there is a one-key build addon though.