Composing Game Audio?

17 posts

Flag Post

(Sorry if not in the right category)
So i have finished coding my game however when I read the FAQ, I read that everything must be original including music.. (which of course in my game, not). Is there any software for composing game audio?

Flag Post

I think you misread that part. Everything must be original or you must have permission from the creator.

Audio that has a Creative Commons (Commercial usage) license is perfectly acceptable, as is anything else where the author/site explicitly allows commercial use for free.

Flag Post

If you don’t know anything about music theory, it would be a good idea to get a little bit of the basics of that first.

You’ll want what’s known as a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). There are many different types of them at different price points and features.

(but, really, I’m pretty sure you’re allowed to use anyone’s music as long as it is royalty free.)

Flag Post
Originally posted by wolfinthesheep:

I think you misread that part. Everything must be original or you must have permission from the creator.

Audio that has a Creative Commons (Commercial usage) license is perfectly acceptable, as is anything else where the author/site explicitly allows commercial use for free.

All my game audio use game show theme, (The Cube and Catchphrase) which is of course not royalty free

Flag Post

This should help you out a little. You can use his music for free as long as you give him credit.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

This should help you out a little. You can use his music for free as long as you give him credit.

Handy.
He also does commission work, though his price point is “too rich for my blood” level ($400+).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

Handy.
He also does commission work, though his price point is “too rich for my blood” level ($400+).

In my opinion, his music isn’t worth that kind of money. To me, it just sounds dull. There’s no emotion at all.

This is real music.

Flag Post

In my opinion, his music isn’t worth that kind of money. To me, it just sounds dull. There’s no emotion at all.

This is real music.

You get what you pay for. That track you linked is probably a $10,000 track. There’s at least two different vocalists involved, a half dozen or more instruments, that even if they’re synthesized, aren’t just copy-pasted waveforms; someone had to play them in one fashion or another. In all likelyhood there were two or three people manning synth boards with three vocalists performing the various human elements.

Flag Post

That track you linked is probably a $10,000 track.

Possibly an understatement. TSFH is like the goto band for super-high-budget action movies. (They’ve done trailers for Pirates of the Carribean, The Dark Knight, and Harry Potter, to name a few.) They’ve also done music for games such as SW:TOR (aka the most expensive game ever created), Mass Effect 2&3, Resident Evil 6.

That particular song that was linked was used in Avatar: The Last Airbender (yeah, crap movie, still expensive), and Mass Effect 3.

See here for more.

Flag Post

Right, TSFH’s music is way too expensive for Flash games. I just wanted to post that song. :3

There’s plenty of decent songs out there that you can use for free (that are better than Kevin MacLeod’s). Try asking around on Newgrounds and Soundcloud.

If you want to pay someone to do custom music, I would hire someone like David Orr, not Kevin. David’s music has more character and emotion, in my opinion. For example, the Sonny soundtrack. Really good for a Flash game. Very memorable, and it’s not like I played the game that much or recently.

Flag Post

If you want to pay someone to do custom music, I would hire someone like David Orr, not Kevin. David’s music has more character and emotion, in my opinion.

Link? I’m finding a poet.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

If you want to pay someone to do custom music, I would hire someone like David Orr, not Kevin. David’s music has more character and emotion, in my opinion.

Link? I’m finding a poet.

Here.

Flag Post

Yeah, Kevin’s famous because of his royalty-free library, but other than that I’m not much of a fan.

David Orr does some excellent work, though – remember the orchestral pieces in Castle Crashers? Those were his.

There are, in fact, a lot of people willing to make music in exchange for money.

Jesse Valentine went around advertising his services earlier this year. Then there’s HyperDuck Soundworks, flashygoodness, and Danny Baranowsky.

zircon is probably too expensive to hire, but you can pay to license some of his preexisting music. Note, however, that the $79 price tag does not cover use in games; especially games that may make money. You’ll have to pay extra for that.

There’s obviously a lot more than that, but those are the ones that came to mind.

Flag Post

Yeah, the Castle Crashers music is good. I am actually working on a piano cover of the theme song.

And wow, I had no idea Jesse Valentine and F-777 were one and the same.

Symphony of Spectres is also good. They did the menu music for Raze 2 and Strike Force Heroes 1 and 2.

Flag Post

Welp, on topic…:

Like programming, and art, music is something you get better at through the time you put in it. Listening to a lot of different music and developing a mind for rhythm and (I think more importantly), melody, will definitely help you. Its video game music you are after, why not listen to a lot of it? Go on youtube and look up top video game music’s of all time and you will find a few quality channels. My casual listening library is at around 2000 and counting, and there is a TON of good music from games you’ve never even heard of. After some time you will find yourself hearing the music in your head (if you dont already) and good practice is to think of how you could improve upon it, or add another instrument with your own melody, all this in your head. You create a good one in your head then find yourself a keyboard (online or a physical one, easy to come by a cheap electric one these days) and find the keys to the melody on it and write them down. Then also randomly mess around on the keyboard (on your comp or a physical one, again) This will make you better at making music. But only if you put in time and effort, again like programming and art it doesn’t come easy, to anyone.

WITH that said, look into Reason (PC) or GarageBand (iOS) both programs in their free forms should be sufficient for your needs.

Reason:
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/

Or, if you want to go oldschool straight legit, find yourself a free chiptune maker or check out this site
http://www.pulseboy.com/

You can even try to get into music tracking, oldschool music making process much explained here
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/making-8bit-music-introduction-free-chiptune-music-trackers/

Personally, I prefer the capabilities of Reason or FLStudio, but thats just me. Good music does NOT depend on the medium!

Here are some free alternatives as well, contemporary composition process:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-music-software.htm

Have fun and good luck! :D

Flag Post

Can also use Famitracker, if you you want to make 8-bit music with that.

Flag Post

Does anyone know any good DAWs that are free (forever)? Audacity is alright, but a bit utilitarian. I’ve tried Reaper, which apparently used to be free but now only comes with a 60 day trial.

Any advice?