Keys config survey

12 posts

Flag Post

Hi guys,

In a very dynamic action game, with 4 keys for moves, and two actions keys, I think the most common config would be :

- UP, DOWN, RIGHT, LEFT : move
- Z : action1
- X : action2

But lot of people asked for WASD controls, so what actions keys would you prefer for a WASD config ? J & K ? O & P ? others ?

Thanks for reading

Flag Post

Make it customizable.

Flag Post

They are already, you can change every keys in the option menu. But players who complained didn’t check the options. That’s why I want to give them a fast choice at the beginning of the game between two nice control schemes.

Flag Post

I believe JKL are popular choices for action keys in a WASD scheme. E and Q are also quite popular when the right hand needs to be on the mouse at all times. If the game is a shooter, then you can bet R will be used to reload, but frankly SPACE is a lot more accessible, if you’re not a pianist.

Also, whiners will whine, and if you give them fully customizable controls and two default schemes, you’ll soon hear from the AZERTY and DVORAK crowds regardless.

Flag Post

Hey, nice to hear from you Ace_Blue,

Glad you confirm that JKL and Space are fine with WASD.
For sure you’re right but I’ll just do my best so most players will not have to whine. (what’s wrong about AZERTY crowds ? ;p)

Thanks for your answer

Flag Post

How about you offer three options:

Arrows
WASD
Configure

Flag Post

I got my controls set for 4way punch kick jump.

JKL and SPACE are very good with WSAD, and
ZXC seems most common with the arrow keys

of course if you have joyToKey installed or xpadder
thats not going to matter because you can use
your gamepad then.

Flag Post

Okay, thanks for the answers. I will try to add the configure option in the choice as well.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SumGato:

Make it customizable.

This. Presets for arrows and wasd are nice to include for convenience, however it’s important to understand that not all keyboards have the same key arrangements. Although Z and X have become popular conventions for action buttons, on a qwertz keyboard, Z is located in the the middle of the top row, while x is on the left side of the bottom row. Not even remotely convenient. Regardless of letter key placement, one aspect that remains constant across nearly all keyboard layouts is the arrangement of the number keys (1, 2, 3, …9, 0). consider 1 and 2 for your arrow key action buttons, and 9 and 0 for your wasd action buttons.

But most importantly, let the player customize, because one person’s ideal keybind configuration is going to make the next person rage.

Edit: Instead of two nice control schemes, why not four? That way, you please qwerty, qwertz, azerty, and dvorak. Everybody wins!

Flag Post

I first thought you were mentionning Dvorak the composer, I really didn’t see the point. So I checked on google and I discovered a new kind of keyboard :) Didn’t think about QWERTZ either. Thanks.

Nice idea with 1, 2, 3 keys. That would be a logical solution. However, in the previous episode when I defined “D, F, G” for the default controls because it was common to QWERTY & AZERTY, everyone started to ask “why such weird controls” ! Players don’t like to be disturb in their habits…

Anyway, I’ll make sure everyone is aware that he can customize controls as he wish :)

Flag Post

What I’d do is, after the player clicks the start game button and gameplay begins for the first time, to have a screen popup asking which control scheme the player would prefer (and offer complete customisation as well). This way, no one can possibly miss it.

Flag Post

Yep that sounds like the best thing to do. Thanks.