Detention Simulator - Feedback please

9 posts

Flag Post

Well, for the past couple of weeks in my free time I’ve been working on a hardcore, realistic, real time detention simulator. It was really hard for me because as many of you know I’m not the best programmer around

The game is ~99% complete and I wanted some feedback on the game, please keep in mind that this a detention simulator so no zombies, blood or guns. Thankyou.

http://www.fastswf.com/hlOPX6s

Edit: Also arrow keys to move

Flag Post

Way too hard, stuck at the first screen. I tryed bashing every single pixel of walls with head, no result. How am i even supposed to get to the boss like this? And that dog is also OP.

Flag Post

Some instructions might be nice. I have no idea what I’m doing. I can walk around, but that’s all.

Also, the guy moves really slowly.

Flag Post

Hey Danny,

Might I suggest some more gameplay? I realize it’s a detention sim game but there could still be things to do, such as pass notes, throw airplanes, and get caught by the teacher. Your collision detection is also way off, you might want to look into checking the position more often, or ahead of time.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

Hey Danny,

Might I suggest some more gameplay? I realize it’s a detention sim game but there could still be things to do, such as pass notes, throw airplanes, and get caught by the teacher. Your collision detection is also way off, you might want to look into checking the position more often, or ahead of time.

I’m not sure I have the patience to learn how to get the guy to pass notes and throw paper airplanes, that could take many more weeks.
But yeah I’ll try to fix the collision and add a countdown clock.

Flag Post

Sorry for the bump but the game is now out!: http://www.kongregate.com/games/DannyDaNinja/detention-simulator

Flag Post

Aside from the already-mentioned “what do I do besides moving around?” factor, the collisions feel…weird. Instead of bouncing the player back a certain number of pixels, why not use the player’s movement speed to move him back instead? So if your movement speed is 2 and you collide with a wall, you’d move him back 2 pixels instead of like…5 or so. That would give the illusion of sliding across an object rather than bouncing off it.

Also, why can’t I shoot spitwads at my fellow detentionees? It’s just not detention without someone shooting spitwads at other people when the teacher isn’t looking.

Flag Post

My opinion is: You’ve been making games like this for 3 years now, it’s time to move on, make a shooter or something enjoyable. There’s a lot of tutorials out there.

Flag Post

I think it is a good start but needs some more gameplay.