New to programming - any suggestions?

14 posts

Flag Post

Hello, I would like to ask for the communities opinion on my development of flash games. I am somewhat new to coding and programming and I have decided on using action script 3.0 for a starting base for my flash game development. I have recently bought the book "action script 3.0 computer programming university " and have started to learn how to use action script. From what I here, it is a good starting base for beginners and can create simple games, but is not the ideal choice for any advanced games. I was just wondering is this true, and should I later on upgrade to a better software? I don’t plan on going beyond flash games or iOS/android games, so will this program be right for me? Also, I plan to keep this a simple solo business that I’ll do in my free time for fun and maybe for a little $$$ here and there, so I don’t need anything too fancy. Is action script right for me, or do I need higher performance software? Anything else you think I should know? Please comment and help me out. Thanks!

Also, it is not my number one concern but I’m just wondering at my level how long it will be until I learn action script and be able to make any games? Also, what is the normal pay if I make any exceptional games? I know my first ones will probably earn me 0$.

Flag Post

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqobo7wrlhs0af3/drakhim.odt

you will need openoffice or something similar to read it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Motivating:
should I later on upgrade to a better software?
do I need higher performance software?

The main thing you mentioned is AS3 “is not the ideal choice for any advanced games”. Well, the same thing can be said about any language. Java isn’t ideal because it’s a semi-interpretted language, but look at mine craft. Lua isn’t ideal because it’s interpreted as well, but look at TOME 4. C++ isn’t ideal because it takes more work, but look at everything made by Blizzard. AS3 isn’t ideal, but look at all the popular games on this site.

Basically, your chances of hitting the limits are slim. If you reach a point where you need something AS3 can’t do initially, you should have the knowledge by then to find a work around, or switch to a different language.

Now, as for the “how long”, it really depends on your background, how good you are at learning, how good you are at problem solving etc. If you keep it simple (I cannot stress that point enough. Your first games have to be simple), you should be able to make games in a month. 

As far as pay goes…. I won’t really say. It varies based on game, and public reaction. I’ll let you do your research, but no game is worth $0. Even my worst games on Kongregate net some money through ad revenue. But, the satisfaction of making something is worth more than any payout.

Anyways, long story short:
1) Don’t give up
2) Keep it simple
3) Pick something, and stick with it

Flag Post

Your best way of learning is probably C# + MonoGame. Make a 2d horizontal shooter.

Flag Post

I’d recommend going with something like AS2 to begin, then possibly move onto AS3 afterwards. Flash is quite simple. Or, if you feel a little exilarated about making a game, go with Java. I’d recommend Adobe Flash Pro CS6 for flash, and Eclipse for Java.

Flag Post

I would never take GamerGamer555’s advice. Learning AS2 is not recommended because of the thousands of disadvantages over AS3 which you can read about if you’re interested. I would not ever use Java for making a game. I just finished making one for school, and it was a bitch to work with.

Flag Post

Definitely choose AS3 over AS2. It performs better, doesn’t teach you bad habits and allows you to more easily change to languages such as C# which are similar.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SWATLLAMA:

I would never take GamerGamer555’s advice. Learning AS2 is not recommended because of the thousands of disadvantages over AS3 which you can read about if you’re interested. I would not ever use Java for making a game. I just finished making one for school, and it was a bitch to work with.

Quoted for truth. Java is not a gaming language. It is too slow in the areas that really matter for games.

When it comes to learning how to program syntax clarity is really important (which narrows it down to the C family) and C#’s .NET library leaves the ugly stuff out of view that beginner programmers should never see. There are a lot of game engines that use C#, some of which being Unity3D, MonoGame, and HaXe. If you learn C# you can easily transition to ActionScript 3, Java, and C/C++.

Bottom line, C# has more practical uses than ActionScript 3 does while also being easier to learn. I am willing to argue to the death that learning ActionScript 3 first as a serious game programmer is the wrong way to go (not really, but I seriously believe that).

EDIT: HaXe is not an engine. My bad.

Flag Post

Not sure if going for a game is a good first move if you are new to programming. If I were you I’d spend a month or two with learning and understanding the basics of programming. Even the most simple game will have already some sort of graphics. In the end the step from no-graphics to graphics is not that hard but your focus will be all over the place.

And I don’t think it matters that much which language you choose. It is much more important to actually code. And it helps also a lot to programm in different languages (not at the same time of course ;). You will end up with new ways to think and learning a new language will be easier every time.

So start easy with a hello world programm and then solve some mathematical problems. Try to cover topics like control structures, data types and functions. Once you are done with this you can go for classes/ objects and events.

You will also need to train some skills. Get used to things not working (as intended) on the first attempt. So you have to learn how to track data within your programm. And you will have to learn how to solve a problem with only a semi-cryptic error message from your compiler and your good old friend google.

If you understand all of the above you can start thinking about games.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Tulrog:

Not sure if going for a game is a good first move if you are new to programming. If I were you I’d spend a month or two with learning and understanding the basics of programming. Even the most simple game will have already some sort of graphics. In the end the step from no-graphics to graphics is not that hard but your focus will be all over the place.

I disagree – if making games is your motivation for learning programming, you’ll need to make games to stay motivated. Even if it’s really simple stuff like guess the number or tic tac toe.

If you want to develop flash games, learn AS3.

Flag Post

Java is not a gaming language. It is too slow in the areas that really matter for games.

I think this requires citation, java is pretty powerful and many popular games were built with it.

Flag Post

AS3 is for sure the way to go for you considering everything you said.
Within 2 weeks you will have your feet with your first game completed or in progress.

If your just starting off programming tho and your having a hard time with AS3, move over to visual basic, do this is strictly so that you understand the concepts of programming as it it’s a simpler learning tool, it’s not for game making but it will be a faster tool so that you learn the concepts of variables and programming to objects seeing as you said your new to programming.

Flag Post

I was just wondering is this true, and should I later on upgrade to a better software?
It is you’re choice,you don’t need to upgrade to a better software if you don’t want to do that,but basicly you need to learn basic scripts,basic programing and other.Even a simple game has graphics and some scripts.
Also, I plan to keep this a simple solo business that I’ll do in my free time for fun and maybe for a little $$$ here and there, so I don’t need anything too fancy.
Well,if the game on the very beginning(Let’s say,something like even earlier than pre beta,pre alpha etc) gets high rating(2.9 or more) and gets positive comments you start to earn some money,but monthly,I think.On the popular sites like Kongregate,Armor Games,Newgrounds you can even earn 80 $(dollars),but on infamous sites you should not get more than 20-30 $(Dollars).Then,after you finish mayor things that you planned to add in game if you earn very high rating on you’re game(4.3 or more) and positive comments(Very comonly) on famous sites you can easily earn 1 000 – 2 500 dollars after 2 weeks,on infamous sites you will then get 200-420 dollars when one month passes.But then,when popularity of you’re game your game is raiing it is uploading on more and more sites and if it get’s even there positive comments and very high ratings you can easily earn more than 12 000 – 14 500 dollars when a month passes,but every month,this happens when you’re game is on 23 sites or more.But make sure to not stop updating you’re game,beacuse maybe similar game to your comes and it is more sucesfull then you’re game will not earn many plays,positive comments and high ratings.Then sites will start to delete you’re game(80 % Of them) from their’s sites and on sites where you’re game is not deleted you will not earn money anymore.

Flag Post

I’m afraid that’s not how that works. If the game is rated 2.9 at first, you aren’t going to get it above 3.5, no matter how many features you add. You’ll have blown your chance to make a good first impression.

Though you certainly could release a sequel with the new features, and the sequel could get that higher rating.

Just don’t count on any of your games getting a 4.3 rating. It’s much harder than it looks to make a game of that quality. (Not that games are rated solely on quality. Look at Flappy Bird.)

Originally posted by Razor1233:

you can easily earn more than 12 000 – 14 500 dollars when a month passes

You cannot easily earn more than $12,000 per month.

You can earn that much per month, but not easily. And unless you’re developing for mobile, it will require turning to the dark side.