GiTD #37 - *Pressure*

51 posts

Flag Post

It’s that time of the month again!
After going all of December without a GiTD, I pestere… err…. asked MossyStump if it’d be alright to run GiTD this month. He gave me the go ahead, so without further delay:

So, for those of you who are new:
GiTD is “Game in Ten Days”, where developers from all over the world and different skill sets compete to make the best game they can in ten days while still sticking to the theme.

There’s 3 phases (write down these dates):
Theme selection: Now – 1/19/2014 9PM EST
Theme announced on 1/19/2014 at 9PM EST
Game development: 1/19/2014 9PM EST – 1/29/2014 9PM EST
Voting: 1/29/2014 9PM EST – 2/1/2014 9PM EST
Winners announced on 2/1/2014 at 9PM EST

Theme selection
This thread is dedicated to the theme selection. As a community based contest, the theme selection is highly driven by your suggestions. So post away, and let the games begin!

Flag Post

1) “One Winter Night…”

2) “When All Else Fails…”

3) Parody (a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious game)

Flag Post

Yay! Another GiTD.

Since I suggested the theme last time and ended up not coming up with anything to fit it, I think I’ll keep quiet this time.

Flag Post

I vote genetic algorithms.

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

Yay! Another GiTD.

Since I suggested the theme last time and ended up not coming up with anything to fit it, I think I’ll keep quiet this time.

Go ahead and post anyways. I’ll take as many suggestions as I can get. Unless you want me to go with my old ‘hotseat’ idea.

Flag Post

Retro Revision (GameName) – Remake a game from the early days of gaming, add your own twists
Escape
Deactivate

Flag Post

Rotation
Overheat
Limited Actions

Flag Post

Since Moocowgomoo posted right before me, I suggest we make the theme be cow-themed!

Flag Post

^Or llama-themed, of course!
I’ve always wanted to make a game called “Alpacalypse” :P

Flag Post

Might as well throw around a couple I’ve had in the back of my head:

Originally posted by truefire:

How about “Continue a previous GitD entry” for the theme?

I really liked this idea when truefire mentioned it, but as some people pointed out, it’d only be useable by previous participants.

So instead of calling it “Continue a previous entry”, let’s call it:
Recycle
So you don’t have to build upon a previous entry

Additionally:
Reduce
Reuse (perhaps have it so you have to reuse a graphic, but with different colors)
Unusual pets (my pet zombie/raptor/robot anyone?)

From various LD theme voting:
Break the Rules
End of the world
Fortress
Connections
You only get one

Note I’ll probably consult Mossy if I can reach him for a recommendation on which theme to pick, however I will be going for one that:
a) Is broad enough that no two games will be alike
b) Is easy enough that new competitors will have no problem creating a game
c) Is unique enough that you can distinctly tell whether a game matches the theme or not

Flag Post

I don’t recommend people be allowed to build off existing entries like…ever. If we use “recycling” as a theme, and I have a mostly finished game from a previous contest, I already have a huge headstart over someone who is starting from scratch. Game in 10 days, not game in 20 days. :)

Anyway, i suck at coming up with generic theme ideas, so that’s all I have to contribute.

Flag Post

Did you skim the previous theme suggestion threads for ideas? We must have posted hundreds of suggestions over the years.

Here are some more, though:
Bully
Under pressure
Balance
Procedural generation
Shine

Flag Post

I have to agree with Aesica that building from previous entries is the worst idea ever for a time-sensitive game development contest.

I like “under pressure” and also “retro revision” although the latter is very similar to my suggestion for “parody” but without the comedic twist. I think parody or some other theme that is somewhat funny would result in some good entertainment for everybody.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zoib:

worst idea ever for a time-sensitive game development contest.

Ok, I can take a hint. No remakes (I’ll do that on my own time).
However, I’m definitely loving some of the suggestions so far (won’t say which ones), and the decent amount of people so far.
I was a little worried I’d have to do a mass message broadcast to get some participation. :)

Flag Post

I have consulted the great stump o’ moss. And he has spoken!
This months GiTD theme is:

Pressure

Flag Post

Oooh interesting theme… there are quite a few different ways you could go with that.
For once, I actually have a decent idea right off the bat – it’s either gonna be really good, or really REALLY terrible.
Can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Flag Post

Hmmm. Interesting…

Flag Post

Maybe a SWAT theme for next time? Combine Pressure and SWAT with llamas! :D

Flag Post

So here is the intro/title screen that I have so far. It takes place aboard a large spaceship split between the living quarters and command stations, with engineering in the bottom middle of the ship separating the other two main areas. The ship sustains heavy damage to engineering which threatens to destroy the entire ship if parts aren’t quarantined and others detached entirely. You play as an engineer with a wife and kids in the living quarters and a brother in the command stations, and it’s up to you to decide which sections of the ship will be detached and allowed to lose air pressure so that other parts of the ship may survive. You have a limited amount of oxygen and must make multiple decisions which will decide your own fate and the fate of the ship, as air pressure is already rapidly decreasing. First, repair what you can in engineering and put out the fire, and then make it to the control consoles to override emergency shutdown and decide which parts of the ship will be saved.

The game is interactive fiction with alot of text/multiple choices to get through, but with some puzzle/platformer elements. I plan to give players 10 minutes to complete the game, but this will be more than enough to read through all of the dialogue and complete all of the tasks. I just wanted to add a timer in there for some extra pressure. There are 5 endings and also 5 extra things to do as the plot plays out, for a total of 10 achievements.

That’s the character as he appears in the main game (that distortion is just in the .gif), but he will also have a more detailed avatar for dialogue. Any questions or suggestions would be awesome!

I had multiple ideas for this (awesome) theme, but I had to decide on one and I went with this one because after coming up with the initial idea my mind just seemed to fill up with how the plot would play out, so I just couldn’t ignore it.

Flag Post

I was going to go with something similar to what Zoib described, a kind of FTL sim or finding clues that lead to a password to stop some star trek style spaceship or experimental lab from self destructing, with mini-games/gestures you have to do to navigate some sci-fi/minority report style interface.

Started with this: PressureShips

Might make it so you’re a submarine going around a coast line and you have to blow up various obstacles/enemy structures in a timely manner, estimating the power needed to launch missiles to target and having the resulting shock waves blow things up too, with limited ammo. Might not fit the theme as well but appeals to me a little more :) Will see how much time I have and how much I get stuck to determine whether I enter or not!

Flag Post

YOU GUYS HOW DO I PHYSICS. PLZ HALP.
Basically, you play as a bubble whose internal pressure is constantly increasing. There are zones you can enter that make your pressure increase much faster, putting you at risk of exploding.
There are also zones that push your internal pressure back down, putting you at risk of imploding.
The question is, which of these do I call “high-pressure zones” vs. “low-pressure zones”? I can see it working both ways, which is…weird.

Also, those two games above are WAY too polished for like 2 days in (in a good way!), and it sounds like you both have some pretty cool ideas. I’m intrigued :D

Flag Post

^ Think of it like this:

1.0 – Your internal pressure (default)
0.2 – Low-pressure zone.
5.0 – High-pressure zone.

In the low-pressure zone, your internal pressure would be greater than that of your surroundings, therefore you’d explode. In the high-pressure zone, the external pressure would crush you, causing you to implode.

Flag Post

Yeah…. I went for psychological pressure instead of physical pressure…
One of my favorite levels from Yoshi’s Island was this:
http://www.mariowiki.com/KEEP_MOVING
I remembered there was a huge chain chomp chasing after you and you had to keep moving in order to not get eaten.

But instead of going with something big chasing you:
http://www.fastswf.com/gIDSl5s

Still quite a bit to implement, but the bulk of the gameplay is there.
Went a different route than usual, using pre-made “chunks” instead of my usual procedural-generated levels. It’s still random enough to make each run different, but without changing the difficulty too much.

Addition Instead of making another post, I’ll just post the update here:
http://www.fastswf.com/pvViWA4
I never have spent this much time on a GiTD entry, and it’s turning out to be better than most of the games I’ve published so far. Go figure.
I was hoping to make the flying fish ‘latch on’ to the player, but for time’s sake, I just have them deal damage to slow you down.
Coming soon: music, instructions, more sections, mochi api, mochibot api, kong api, and (if I have time) powerups and achievements.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

In the low-pressure zone, your internal pressure would be greater than that of your surroundings, therefore you’d explode. In the high-pressure zone, the external pressure would crush you, causing you to implode.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Originally posted by Shalmezad:

http://www.fastswf.com/gIDSl5s

Still quite a bit to implement, but the bulk of the gameplay is there.

That’s a solid game right there! The controls feel perfect as well – the only thing right now is the lack of unique chunks, but I’m sure you’re already planning to add a bunch more.
Are the jumping ones going to kill you/deal damage as well? Because that would be terrifying 0_o

Flag Post

Welp, I suppose I should post something too: http://www.fastswf.com/HxkMqgs
It’s really not much right now, but I have the concepts all planned out and will hopefully be able to do a bunch over the weekend.