Settlers of Catan flash indev for Kong

12 posts

Flag Post

I’ll keep it short and simple – Settlers of Catan, a cult classic board game, would be an excellent Kongregate game library addition if someone would be willing to develop it.

For the long version, I will explain what the game is about.

You play on a board with distinct hexagonal tiles that make up an area of 19 tiles total. (Which itself forms a hexagonal shape) Each tile can be one of five types, each type a resource or special space; red tiles represent hardpan where clay is harvested, yellow represents plains with wheat, green or light green represents grassland with sheep for wool, dark green or brown represents forest with wood, and grey represents mountains and cliffs with rock and ore.

The tiles have numbers as well, from 2 to 12 but not including 7. At the start of the game, each player gets to place a settlement and a road (These are placed along the borders of the tiles) and then the starting player rolls two dice to determine what numbers are picked. For example, if 5 is rolled, all players with settlements touching a tile with 5 on it get a resource card for each adjacent settlement near the tile. (i.e. Blue settler gets 2 clay cards for their two settlements near the hardpan tile with the 5 on it.)

With these resources, players can build new settlements and roads as well as get cards which perform special actions for them, with every settlement, road, and city adding victory points to a player’s total – the objective to win is to be the first to reach a set number of victory points by the end of one’s turn.

Understanding the game takes either a player experienced in it or at the least someone who has played the game before or watch a live demonstration.

tl;dr – Settlers of Catan needs to be a flash game on Kong.

Flag Post

Well it is an excellent board game.

Flag Post

Well, the main difficulty will be developing the AI. I was thinking about making a Stone Age in Flash, but failed to determine how to make the AIs to compete with the skilled player (and ran out of time to develop anything).

Flag Post

Two seconds on Google later: Yeah so it may or may not be a Flash client (I did not register or try) but it has a huge advantage over your idea, in that apparently the site is owned by the copyright owner. Another huge advantage over your idea is that you can actually play Catan with others there, while your game is vaporware right now.

So why exactly do you want to reinvent a wheel that is not only owned by someone else, but that they’re also willing to lend to you for free?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

Two seconds on Google later

Most popular board games have already been turned into web versions. And most of those reside on www.brettspielwelt.de (a lot of the site is in German, but there is a large English playerbase).

Flag Post

So why exactly do you want to reinvent a wheel that is not only owned by someone else, but that they’re also willing to lend to you for free?

Licensing for brand names is always a big issue, and certainly not an easily answered one when it comes to legal representation. Since the game’s creator is very fond of his fanbase for the game as well as free exchange of ideas, contacting the official game’s webmaster and asking for a seal of approval for a flash game development is a sound plan and likely very doable.

Otherwise, indicating explicitly that it is a work of the fans and not to be used for profit as well as giving it a title not copywritten by the game creator could also work.

Flag Post

(edit to last post)

Having a Kong exclusive is always a big winner for this site, and it generates tons of hits and new additions to the registered user numbers if the game in question is particularly popular. It’s big points for Kong and the developer.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

Two seconds on Google later

Most popular board games have already been turned into web versions. And most of those reside on www.brettspielwelt.de (a lot of the site is in German, but there is a large English playerbase).

“Most” and “most of” equals five? Weird.

Flag Post

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Spiele/

Flag Post

Ah, then I’ve just messed up in the site’s navigation. Okay, nice. I wonder though, is there an AI available for any of those games, or are they just player vs player? It seems no AI right now.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 12_Hundred:

asking for a seal of approval for a flash game development is a sound plan and likely very doable.

Fantastic, I look forward to your coming back here with said seal of approval in hand. Oh but wait:

Originally posted by 12_Hundred:

Settlers of Catan […] would be an excellent Kongregate game library addition if someone [else] would be willing to develop it.

So yeah, your ‘idea’ is really just one guy asking for others to make a game for him. Such musings are more at home in the ‘general gaming’ part of the forums, I guess. If you want to take ownership of such a project and can significantly contribute to it, this is not the proper subforum for it either, you want collabs.

Edit: Thanks for the link Draco, I’m not a big fan of board games online, but it’s a nice resource to know about regardless.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vesperbot:

Ah, then I’ve just messed up in the site’s navigation. Okay, nice. I wonder though, is there an AI available for any of those games, or are they just player vs player? It seems no AI right now.

No, there are no AI systems. It’s pure player-player multiplayer.

Edit: Thanks for the link Draco, I’m not a big fan of board games online, but it’s a nice resource to know about regardless.

Ditto. I have done a handful of other games on other sites (Dominion has its own site, and while they aren’t allowed to use the official card art, they are using the card art the game designers used as placeholder art during testing) to varying degrees of enjoyment (Civilization: Through the Ages is impenetrable in an online format unless you’ve played with people around a table (and even then it’s impenetrable until you’ve played—according to the people who understand it—forty sessions which is absurd. I played three games and reached the conclusion that cost/benefit calculations based on “what is best for me now” will never pan out and “if I don’t do X this turn I’m boned. Likewise if I don’t do Y I am also boned. X and Y cannot both be done this turn”)).