Apparently "Saga" is Trademarked

19 posts

Flag Post

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/01/23/candy-crush-saga-tries-to-crush-the-banner-saga-in-bizarre-trademark-saga/

We shouldn’t stand for this.

Flag Post

Candy was trademarked yesterday by the same guys, not all countries have approved of it yet, but they are already filling lawsuits against games with Candy on their name, such BS

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kewry:

Candy was trademarked yesterday by the same guys, not all countries have approved of it yet, but they are already filling lawsuits against games with Candy on their name, such BS

Yup.

Flag Post

It’s amazingly ironic that this is coming from king.com

Flag Post

They even acknowledge that Banner Saga is in no way trying to encroach on Candy Crush Saga’s trademark.

As in, they’re literally admitting that they’re being a patent troll.

Flag Post

I was always under the impression that you can’t trademark standard words, which is (among other things) why some businesses like to use names with “altered” spellings. Now I want to make a match-3 game called “Sandy Rush” just to shoot them the bird. It doesn’t violate any trademark laws! :D

No but seriously, if “Saga” becomes a patented word, just…how? No seriously, there’s plenty of games out there already with “Saga” in their name. One of them is mine, although it’s too shitty to be on any patent radars.

Flag Post
Do you ever find yourself playing a game of Candy Crush and thinking “Man, this reminds me of that hand-drawn, Viking-themed strategy RPG from Stoic Studios?”

http://games.on.net/2014/01/candy-crush-developers-take-legal-action-against-the-banner-saga-over-the-word-saga/
Yeah, I saw that and once again wondered why things like this happen. I also wondered how noone already had the domain “king.com”.

Anyway, I’m not a fan of these people, and their ads on TV for “play this old game with prettier graphics and pictures of cute animals” are starting to annoy me.

Flag Post

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131637-Candy-Crush-Studio-Denies-Cloning-Games-Pulls-Cloned-Game

hmmm… I’m getting this strange sense of déjà vu.

I was always under the impression that you can’t trademark standard words

I don’t know, Apple was a pretty standard word to me. But from what I can recall, you can trademark anything as long as it isn’t a basic descriptor related to the the service or product you’re providing (so for example Coca-Cola can’t grab Cola on it’s own, no PC manufacturer could get Computer…). In this case, Saga is a particularly silly trademark considering it’s a descriptor for a style of narrative and video games happen to be a medium for narrative.

Flag Post

Cola at the time wasn’t trademarked because some countries (like Portugal) use that word on a near daily basis, trademarking words, even if in specific contexts should first be studied in that context, “candy” and “saga” are both commonly used words in naming games therefore they should both have been considered non-trademarkable now, if they were to trademark exactly “Candy Crush Saga” that’d be fine, because it is their game.

The way it is right now just makes them be trademark trolls who will end up being sued for abuse and die before zynga even thinks about copying them

Flag Post

What we need now is some enterprising soul to trademark “zombie” and finally put an end to one of the most overused tropes in video games.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

What we need now is some enterprising soul to trademark “zombie” and finally put an end to one of the most overused tropes in video games.

I’m sure that wouldn’t work. Com2uS has a trademark for ‘Tower Defense’ and that wasn’t enough to kill that genre.

Flag Post

If this behaviour is tolerated things will get out of hand pretty soon. Imagine a games world where the words ‘legend’, ‘quest’ or similar are trademarked. We should spread the word and boycott king.com until they give up this ridiculous behaviour.

Flag Post

So I guess they’re going to sue Nintendo next because of Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. :3

Flag Post
Originally posted by uzzbuzz:

So I guess they’re going to sue Nintendo next because of Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. :3

Feel free to send them an email. They’ve got a contact form right on their website. :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:
Originally posted by uzzbuzz:

Feel free to send them an email. They’ve got a contact form right on their website. :D

I’m sure that isn’t necessary. In a battle between Nintendo and King, nobody is going to side with King. Their reputation is already in the toilet and suing Nintendo will effectively put them out of business in the most merciless way possible. The solution to all of this is really simple. Don’t support King’s behavior. Encourage everyone you know to not buy their products. The reason this shit keeps happening is because nobody is putting their foot down and we keep giving them the EA treatment.

In case you haven’t noticed I am really against the mobile market. It is a cesspool of unoriginality and stupid trademark battles.

Flag Post

candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga candy saga.

too bad

Flag Post

Yeah they’re going a bit far, even more now

Flag Post

When are people going to get that this is the programming forum? Not the “I just heard” section.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Glutenfree4u:

When are people going to get that this is the programming forum? Not the “I just heard” section.

Primarily because the people I’m trying to connect with are developers not the players.