AS 3.0!

14 posts

Flag Post

Finally, I have Flash CS 3… and can begin to learn AS 3.0! :D

Flag Post

Congrats :D

Flag Post

Actually, you could’ve done that way back in Flash 9 Public Alpha, but not as good of course, since it didn’t natively support AS 3.0. And yeah, there aren’t too much tutorials out there yet, except the ones at CartoonSmart and some minor ones online. But yeah, I’m learning AS3 too. Seems a LOT more powerful than good ol’ AS2.
So this topic’s about AS 3.0 at all, not the fact your learning it, right? :D

Flag Post

I’m well into making my first AS3 game lol. It’s defiantly better than AS2.

Flag Post

Any help feel free to ask. I’ve been using it since the public alpha.

Flag Post

Well I haven’t had time to start yet but from reading the help file the syntax seems the same right? Anyway I think I’ll restart my bitmap blitting engine for AS 3.0 for maximum performance.

Flag Post

Is it very different or slightly different?

Flag Post

Very different – but don’t let that scare you. IMO it’s easier to learn than AS2 due to it being consistent in all it’s functions and what not.

Flag Post

I don’t really like AS 3.0, but that’s just me.

Flag Post
I don’t really like AS 3.0, but that’s just me.

OMG how can you say that!!:P

please give some reasons…

since AS 3 is faster,clear,totally Object Oriented and has a lot of new functions

Flag Post

too inaccessible to the artist.

some people just want to draw and make animations.

Flag Post

I think AS 3 has a less steep learing curve then AS 2 because everything is named properly also the standard stuff like gotoAndPlay is just the same

also in CS 3 you can easily convert a motion tween to AS which can be pretty handy.

Maybe button events are less easy but its just so handy for a developer to trigger multiple functions with 1 button
and that you can link multiple buttons to 1 function and that function can get info on the button….(i know its possible with AS 2 too but its all crappy)

button.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_UP,somefunc);

function somefunc(evt:MouseEvent){

trace(evt);

}

or

button.onRelease = function() {

trace("clicky");

}

i think the first has a more logical syntax but thats just me as a developer

PS:i also think the mouse event names are easier to remember..

PSS: sombody here wants to know why tastylamp named himself tastylamp

Flag Post

You’ve never tasted a lamp…?

And yes. Agreed 112%. The syntax and layout of classes is both intuitive and logical.

Flag Post

Not everyone is programmers of course.

Its a slow slow process, but we’re not talking about which to START learning Hence we’re not talking about a learning curve. If you’re a seasoned animator who is proficient enough in AS2, you’re not going to be that willing to lay down the money for AS3. Especially when you have to relearn everything, and there aren’t really much extra in terms of for the artists. (tools are all the same, and you don’t need to convert motion tweens to AS)