Feedback to my new game (critics are very welcome)

10 posts

Flag Post

Hi, here is my first game, a good platformer. It´s name is Super Barrio Bros and isn´t finished yet.
Here is the game http://yeray-games.jimdo.com/

Flag Post

it’s okay, but honestly Mario ripoffs are the worst types of games, because there isn’t really any surprises, we pretty much know what the game is like already, because we’ve seen so many.
I’d really suggest trying to come up with a different type of game to do as your first, I know my first was a rip-off too but it was a more complex game that I was trying to duplicate, so it was a way better learning project than Mario.

Also, generally people won’t try out your game because it is on a website they have never heard of or been to before. Maybe next time you could post us a Kong link too?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Glutenfree4u:

it’s okay, but honestly Mario ripoffs are the worst types of games, because there isn’t really any surprises, we pretty much know what the game is like already, because we’ve seen so many.
I’d really suggest trying to come up with a different type of game to do as your first, I know my first was a rip-off too but it was a more complex game that I was trying to duplicate, so it was a way better learning project than Mario.

Also, generally people won’t try out your game because it is on a website they have never heard of or been to before. Maybe next time you could post us a Kong link too?

Hi, I`m glad for your fast reply, but I don´t think that a platformer don´t have any surprises…All depends how show your game to the player…and a platformer game it´s a very complex game, with physics, mechanics, and those stuffs…

Thank you too for the last tip, I`ll upload my game to Kong very soon ;)

Flag Post

Just tried it out and…holy crap, the lag is indescribably bad and makes it pretty much unplayable. Plus, all I can make the guy do is jump. Have you implemented other movement controls yet? Well no matter, it’s okay to do a ripoff game for your first, even if it isn’t as advanced as what you’re ripping off, because the primary goal is to learn how to make a game rather than to make an award-winner.

Anyway, before doing anything else with it, you need to do some serious optimizations. Like, critically so.

PS: If you plan on uploading it for feedback from a small group of people rather than an entire website such as kong where the average player will say “it’s bad” unless it’s perfectly polished and publish-ready, consider uploading to fastswf.com instead of…whatever that other site was.

Flag Post

I think the movement controls are a little, weird. You should have done A and D or Left Arrow and Right Arrow to move left and right.

Flag Post

Thank you, Aesica and pugzy for reply me, i´m very noob and all your tips are very important for me ;)

—Aesica: I know about the lag. My first and worst error was to put 35 fps instead 24 fps , and the second was to started learning to make games with AS2… (Also the scenario is 7000 × 4000 )
I´m optimized every line of code i wrote, and also I add ´for loops´, ´arrays`etc. The not animated mc´s was marked with ´cache as bitmap´ but isn´t enough for eliminate the lag…

…any suggestion about the lag??? Maybe the better option will be remake the game with 24 fps in AS3… P.D.: How I could know if my game got lag, if in my pc don´t show that lag? (in the friend of mine´s laptop I see the lag, but is annoying have to go to his house each time I want to check the lag)

Flag Post

Here’s some things that will help:

1) Upgrade to AS3. I can’t remember the exact number, but AS3 is anywhere from 10x to 100x faster than AS2. At this point in Flash’s lifespan, learning AS2 instead of AS3 is a complete and total mistake.

2) Only have a single enter frame function in a single class. That enter frame function should be cycling through an array of any other objects that need to do something every frame. Just remember to remove those objects from the array when you remove them from the game field.

3) Use bitmaps instead of vector art. Vector art is horribly slow compared to bitmaps. I know vector art is a feature thing with flash, but it’s really not very efficient…at least I’ve never found it to be.

4) 7000×4000? I’m assuming you mean the entire level, right? Try not to place (or animate) any objects on the gamefield that are offscreen.

You shouldn’t need to downgrade your fps to 24 if you optimize the other things. Some people (like me) think 30 fps looks pretty choppy. 24 will look even worse.

Flag Post

Few issues:

Programming:

Strange controls
Cursor only distracts you. Also, it should change position each frame and not only when you are moving the mouse.
The game is slow

Design:

It is unclear if what hurts you and what does not.
A lot of jumps require to be perfect, else you fall to your doom.
It is unclear if what is your goal and where shall you go.
Secrets require too much pixelperfect jumping and are not rewarding.

Flag Post

Everything a3lex33 said.

There also appear to be some spikes just below where you start on the first level that serve no purpose. They’re in a corner where they can be utterly non-threatening.

Flag Post

Begginner´s fails…:
- The controls aren´t the controls that game will have when I finished it. Simply are the controls that are good for me :P
- The cursor distract you, it´s true. I will quit that annoying apple.
- Perfect jumps are quited too, only was an experiment…but the perfect jump for the secret watermelon have a reward (a piece of
watermelon, like the heart containers in Zelda)
- Draco, you´re right, those spikes were an experiment too, I was need a way of kill the char in the start of game to learn to make
the game over screen….I change it for something to collect ;)

By the way, Aesica, thanks for all your tips…Now I´m changing all vector art to bitmap and the other things…and YES,

7000 × 4000 is the entire level, you´re right, man.

- I´m feel so welcome…Thanks from Canary Islands!!!!!!