On Ads and Latency

8 posts

Flag Post

As a game developer, I work hard to try and make my games run at as high a framerate as possible, which invariably means optimizing my code in every way possible, trying to squeeze out that extra frame or two per second that will make all the difference in the user experience.

That’s why I find it quite frustrating when a game (so lovingly optimized) is running on the same page as some poorly-coded, graphically intense banner ad which uses tons of video and graphics processing and essentially just sits there, completely useless. This happened to me today while trying to play Fancy Pants world 2. This ad (the one with a wizard shooting fire or something like that), completely sucked up all the bandwidth— FP was forced by the browser to share processing with this pile of crap ad, which was probably coded by some intern somewhere, and it could barely even run.

As a developer I find this sickening and say to these so-called Flash designers who create monstrosities like that one: Nobody is impressed by your ostentatious use of Flash video and fancy gradients, so just give it a rest and make an ad that doesn’t crash the content that it’s supposed to be sponsoring.

Yeesh.

Flag Post

I totally agree. Although you could use FireFox’s Adblocker thingy. But that stopped the developers from getting money I think. They shouldn’t use animated ads. Still pictures work just fine.

Flag Post

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!

I was trying to play StormWinds a few days ago, and there was a flash ad for some ringtones or something and it was one of those idiot little games where you click a button like 100 times to win, but after 10 seconds when you lose the stupid developer made the cell phone explode into 139487193847 pixels and scatter around the screen. And whenever that happened i would lag up for about 8 seconds while my guns were getting shot down, haha.

PEACE

Flag Post

I share your frustration.

Flag Post

Totally agreed, it’s so bloody annoying. Also, I can’t believe how optimized fancy pants adventure is. No lag at all for lots of scrolling…im so jealous.

Flag Post

Flash Ads, if not executed properly, are a major lag source.

Flag Post

Awww…..you make me feel bad.Ok then mind giving of few tips on optimizing flash ads?

Flag Post

>then mind giving of few tips on optimizing flash ads?

Don’t use Flash ads is the best solution. :)