Code organization (multi files) in AS2

4 posts

Flag Post

Ok, I feel that this is very basic, but I’ve been having problems finding out how to do it (and yes, I’ve googled quite a bit). Basically, my actionscript is getting unmanageably large. I feel certain that there is some sort of “import” command that would allow me load an external .as file (though not one that’s a class – just some scripts). Please tell this can be done – I’m getting a headache scrolling through all this crap. Thanks in advance! :)

Flag Post
#include "SomeScript.as"

Is what you want. Note that because its a # directive, you don’t put a semicolon on afterwards.

Flag Post

Oh, bloody hell. I was using a semi-colon. You called that one perfectly. facepalm Thanks for the help! Now I can finally read my code again! :)

Flag Post

for further organization, you can stick the .as files in a folder in the same directory as the fla and by using the import command

thusly:

Flash Programs
|
L__Program.fla
    AScode01.as
    SecondSetofCodes
    |
    L__AScode02.as
        AScode03.as

where Flash programs and SecondSetofCodes are folders, AScode01.as is automatically loaded since it’s in the same folder as the .fla file, but for the other two:

import SecondSetofCodes.AScode02;
import SecondSetofCodes.AScode03;

is all you need to do, although I’m sure a simple import SecondSetofCodes; will be just fine.