SWF Protection Necessary?

5 posts

Flag Post

Hey guys,

Is “game ripping” a prevalent enough problem to work to prevent. I’ve read the basics on swf theft protection, such as checking to make sure the swf file is playing on an authorized web site. Beyond that, however, encryption seems to be a sinch to unscramble with all the software readily available.

Here’s my main concern: if necessary, what are some good ways to prevent theft. I know there’s probably not one single answer, but perhaps you could post some things that have been useful for yourself, or guide me to some helpful sites abd point me in the right direction…Any thoughts, opinions, or help would be greatly appreciated.

(I’d just hate to make a good game and then have it stolen… DTD seems to have been well protected, though)

Thanks,
up_Studios ;)

Flag Post

Well, copyright is a form of protection, but that won’t stop people from getting at your code.

You probably don’t have to worry about it unless your game is really groudbreaking, but the .swf format is really easily decompiled, and you can buy decompilers that claim to show the original source code and assets.

Basically, the gist of it is that you cannot protect your .swf files against someone who knows what they’re doing.

Here’s an article by someone who knows what they’re doing:
http://www.gotoandplay.it/_articles/2004/04/swfProtection.php

Personally, I have thought about this before, but I don’t really worry about it. For instance, if someone wants to decompile my game and sift through the thousands of lines of code, they’re going to have a heck of a time making sense of it all, let alone make useful changes. Honestly I’ve been meaning to buy a decompiler and test it to see exactly how good they are…

Flag Post

thanks Indie, good to know

Flag Post

sometimes I dont even make sense of my own code 5 mins ago

Flag Post

Me 2.

(: