New Programmer Needing Guidance

12 posts

Flag Post

I’m aware that there is a thing right at the top of this forum that says “Read First” but thats not what I’m asking for. I am wondering how i should approach learning flash. First off, I would like to say that I have taken two computer science courses over java, i dont know if it will help but i thought you would like to know. Anyway, I was wondering how to get started learning all this stuff. Should i learn the programming part first or should i learn the animation. I just need a guide to help me get start learning

Flag Post

Er… use the tutorials in the links, I’m sure there’ll be some order.

Logically, learn drawing first. Unless you want to code the blank screen to turn upside down and then go from white to white.

Flag Post

Animation first. In order to understand scripting in Flash, animation must be learned first.

Flag Post

Actually, since you are taking computer science it would probably behoove you to learn to program in actionscript first since this will help you to make games and grow as a computer scientist. I will agree that a game that has bad graphics doesn’t rate well with players, but if you can learn to program, and make a few games you can easily go back to them and upgrade the graphics. Also, you can always ask someone else to do the graphics for you. I would say that if you enjoy making graphics and you enjoy coding then you should take your time and learn them both consecutively, there is no need to learn them separately. However, if you only enjoy coding, and despise spending time making graphics and animating (like me) then just make some rudimentary graphics and manipulate them with code.

Flag Post

Aren’t computer scientists, like, crazy people that think that HAL died for their sins?

Flag Post

No, we’re nerds who know that HAL is a ROT 25 Caesar cipher for IBM.

Flag Post

I’m definitely Functionality before Looks.

So start with the code. Who cares if you’re working with boxes and arrows. Just ask Jude to make you some of his special Worrier graphics when you’re done coding :D

Flag Post

For me, Flash is the ideal tool for blending visual design and coding… I’m not sure that it’s more valuable to learn one before the other, it’s just a matter of what you’re most interested in. I recently started working as a professional Flash developer, and in my job I focus entirely on the coding aspect. We have a guy who does strictly Flash art, so all the “drawing” stuff goes to him. Anyway, I find it’s valuable to at least familiarize yourself with the timeline, since Flash coding really depends (somewhat) on your understanding of the timeline and how it all works together. Furthermore, if you’re going to learn ActionScript, it’s best to learn AS 2.0, and try to understand the OOP (Object-Oriented Programming) capabilities of Flash, since that’s the direction it’s headed in Flash AS 3.

Personally, I enjoy doing art, animation, coding and the whole bit, so Flash is really my dream tool. Yay for Flash!

Flag Post

I can’t draw

- sobs -

Flag Post

Just ask Jude to make you some of his special Worrier graphics when you’re done coding :D

Of course, lolz.

I can’t draw. In order to make good graphics, it will take me a year or so lolz :)

Flag Post

who said it had to be good XD

Flag Post

Thanks for all the replies so far. I do have to say i love coding, i mainly like the challenge of it all and figuring out how to do different things (for java programmers out there, a fun website is javabat.com , there are a lot of fun programming challenges). Right now i’m planning on making an animation b/f making any games, just to get my animation skills and simple action script up to speed. Luckily for me, i know a lot of OOP and i bought a very basic book on action script that is helping me a lot (it is true that books are better than the web b/c you can’t copy and paste from a book).