Game Development Room (GDR) page 17

486 posts

Flag Post

It’s Player.IO’s fault. Every game that uses it is struggling to connect. Just keep refreshing.

Flag Post

Looks like they are trying to get more clusters. Supposedly the site grew 100% in the last 5 days, which means a lot of developers were added on.

Flag Post
<div>Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:</div>

Looks like they are trying to get more clusters. Supposedly the site grew 100% in the last 5 days, which means a lot of developers were added on.

yeah. i doubt they doubled the number of active accounts in a business week.

Flag Post

New version, mainly just testing GDR after corrupted computer and reinstalling the programs. Minor updates. 100k update is planned with a few good features that many should like.

Flag Post

New version, mainly just testing GDR after corrupted computer and reinstalling the programs. Minor updates. 100k update is planned with a few good features that many should like.

proper tabs?

Flag Post
Originally posted by skyboy:

proper tabs?

*Except skyboy apparently. :D

Unless I actually do that hmmm…

Flag Post

Unless I actually do that hmmm…

wouldn’t be that hard. i wrote a class specifically for handling tabs; all you really need to do is supply classes that implement the proper interfaces and everything else is handled for you

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

Does this mean I should get my refresh bot up and running like you told me to do when the game launched?! :D JK, and why do we have to wait until 100K?

Flag Post

Flag Post

Two suggestions that should be easy to implement:

• Save sounds settings on the local SO.
  • Add a tab to share pics (allow load/save to HDD).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:

what image sharing service provides an easy API and unrestricted access from flash?

Flag Post

what image sharing service provides an easy API and unrestricted access from flash?

I don’t think it’d go through a sharing service… think Skype. P2P stuff, amirite?

Flag Post
Originally posted by MoonlaughMaster:

I don’t think it’d go through a sharing service… think Skype. P2P stuff, amirite?

painful to implement since that isn’t how GDR works. you’d need the other’s IP address to send/load from. loading is the best option, and the server would need to send the public IP address and an accepted port (which can also only be opened for listening by AIR, so the entire idea falls apart here)

Flag Post

I was thinking on a simple Base64 encoding when you click the share pic button, then just sharing it with a code (as in the codebox).

Flag Post

painful to implement since that isn’t how GDR works. you’d need the other’s IP address to send/load from. loading is the best option, and the server would need to send the public IP address and an accepted port (which can also only be opened for listening by AIR, so the entire idea falls apart here)

I haven’t worked with networking stuff in AS so I dunno what the whole process is. All I know is that with some PHP magic you can upload pics, so is it so hard to download them? Then again I can just be spewing bullshit. I’m waving in the dark here.

Flag Post

I was thinking on a simple Base64 encoding when you click the share pic button, then just sharing it with a code (as in the codebox).

the overhead isn’t nice. sharing the raw bytes is far easier on the server; and since the protocol is binary and sent with a length header, no issues can arise from it as does when presenting Base64 to the user or needing to save it as ASCII for a dated database format.

I haven’t worked with networking stuff in AS so I dunno what the whole process is. All I know is that with some PHP magic you can upload pics, so is it so hard to download them? Then again I can just be spewing bullshit. I’m waving in the dark here.

from a server? no, downloading even at the most basic level of networking is very easy.

the problem is that flash has security restrictions for, you know, security.

Flag Post

I tried pretty hard for a day or two just trying to get the imgur API to work but I had a lot of trouble uploading the file from the computer and getting it to be in the format that the API needs to take. :/

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

I tried pretty hard for a day or two just trying to get the imgur API to work but I had a lot of trouble uploading the file from the computer and getting it to be in the format that the API needs to take. :/

Imgur looks easy enough, but I haven’t actually tried it out.

That would be a significant amount of data transfer though, maybe more that GDR is allowed.

And (sorta funny GDR moment):

Flag Post

Can’t you just use a normal web host with a flash cross-domain access file so the game can upload to it? I find it hard to believe that the demand for image sharing would be so high it would do your host damage (particularly if files only lasted a short time … even minutes would be enough for what people want to do here, I think).

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobJanova:

Can’t you just use a normal web host with a flash cross-domain access file so the game can upload to it? I find it hard to believe that the demand for image sharing would be so high it would do your host damage (particularly if files only lasted a short time … even minutes would be enough for what people want to do here, I think).

typical chat messages use around 10% of the allotted bandwidth; code uses more and both of these are compressed; and being ASCII, they compress extremely well, over 60% efficiency in most cases.

images are raw data, not a limited subset of a byte; they compress very poorly using standard techniques, and even using special and/or lossy techniques (such as jpeg) result in large file sizes; compressed data doesn’t compress well (for obvious reasons) and can even be inflated in size (P.IO compresses all outbound messages, including those that carry image data). moderate image usage, ignoring storage costs, would cover at least 40% of the allotted bandwidth, if not over 60% (i’m being very conservative here, it’ll probably bust the limit)

a specialized high-bandwidth and low cost (or free) service is pretty much the single option for hosting images for an app as small in scope as GDR

Flag Post

Allotted bandwidth = the amount you’re allowed to use with Player.IO? I was suggesting a separate HTTP storage/retrieval, so the only message you’d need to send through p.io would be a URL.

Flag Post

Well, I’d have to save it to my own website on clientside, opening up a whole ton of exploits possible (and spamming my host with images if they possibly wanted to). So that’s out unless its a 3rd party site like imgur or imageshack, both of which have semi-functioning APIs.

Flag Post

how do i add achivments to my games ? :)

Flag Post

So… I made a class that uploads pics (not b64 strings) directly to the server, but I’m only able to use it when I play the SWF locally. I’ve tried on megaswf and kong. What do I have to do? I’m totally ignorant on the security/permissions topic and don’t even know what to look for in Google.

Flag Post

So… I made a class that uploads pics (not b64 strings) directly to the server, but I’m only able to use it when I play the SWF locally. I’ve tried on megaswf and kong. What do I have to do? I’m totally ignorant on the security/permissions topic and don’t even know what to look for in Google.

depends on where you’re uploading it. a website you don’t have control over? crossdomain.xml. a website you have control over? crossdomain.xml.