Game Development Room (GDR) page 3

486 posts

Flag Post

New userlist update. I coded this a bit messy, so lets see if anyone gets some errors. Please tell me if you do. You can now click on user’s name and go to their profile.

And a chart of my errors just for fun:

each horizontal line stands for 20 errors. It peaks near the end. (cough) truefire (cough)

Flag Post

Hey, I have another idea for the chat room. What do you guys think about adding a message in the chat for when someone log in and out. By example: sanchez9416 has entered the room. sanchez9416 has logged out.

This way, we would know when someone have left the chat room, and when someone arrived.

Flag Post
Originally posted by sanchez9416:

Hey, I have another idea for the chat room. What do you guys think about adding a message in the chat for when someone log in and out. By example: sanchez9416 has entered the room. sanchez9416 has logged out.

This way, we would know when someone have left the chat room, and when someone arrived.

Good idea. Have it as a different colour too – have special events and stuff as different colours.

Flag Post

Added “XXX joined GDR” and “XXX left GDR” in gray now.

Flag Post

Awesome update! Post code shortlinks in chat for others to click, and auto loads the code and opens the code box. Just use the format: /code UnknownGuardian840338 , replacing my shortlink with yours

Flag Post

Hey – very clever idea, UG. I got an email from sanchez requesting that we sticky this thread, which is also an excellent idea. So, consider it stickied. :) I hope this works out well – could be a very cool resource.

Flag Post

nice, Phoenix.

Flag Post

Unknown FTW :D

Flag Post

I called it ( the sticky part ;)

Flag Post

hey i just thought of a suggestion. not sure if at some point you plan on having a save system so users can save preferences. but if you implement it. a Macro system would be awesome to have.. kinda like the ones on IRC where you can auto send messages when people enter/leave room etc. but then you might see more spam. Also at some point it would be nice to see visual smiley faces.

EDIT: oh and i posted it in the chat room. but a low priority suggestion would be to reverse the order of the updates below the description when actually in the game room. that way at quick glance we can see the newest updates with out having to click show more and read through them lol.

Flag Post

Ah, yes. good thinking. I’m well under the data transfer limit so I think saving stuff on a server and loading it may work, or just using Shared Objects for some basic stuff.

I wanted to add things like overall chat time and perhaps retrieve user data, but unfortunately player.io restricts outside network calls, so loading player info is out. :(

I like the ideas of smilies and I will definitely think about them.

Flag Post

You could definitely save some server space and store profiles locally

Flag Post
Originally posted by MrSalvador:

You could definitely save some server space and store profiles locally

If I didn’t store them server side, then some problems would arise, as discussed by me and pimgd.

Now for some stats!

In ~18 hours, there has been (server update time excluded +/- 6 hours)
Views: 109
Average play time: 24:13
Unique players: 62
User that visited the most: sanchez9416 at 15 times.
People that went AFK: 1,481
People that returned from AFK: 1,437
Number of times the AFK sound was played: 4,395
Number of /muteSound typed: 4

Number of times the screen was re-sized: 109

Messages Sent: 2,278
Messages Received: 12,073
Number of times a non moderator tried to silence someone: 2
Number of users silenced: 2

Times Code box opened: 281
Times Code box closed: 272
Number of people that clicked code link from chat: 159

Flag Post

what problems? :\

Flag Post

Im confused
?

Flag Post
Originally posted by jonathanasdf:

what problems? :\

Stuff to do with silencing users and such.

Originally posted by GamerFefan:

Im confused
?

Messages sent = total number of messages everyone has sent.

messages recieved = total number of messages everyone receives. so if the is 3 people in chat. 3 people will receive the message I sent.

Flag Post

what has storing the macros that each user creates locally got anything to do with silencing them?! O.o

Flag Post

LOL

Flag Post

Ya, I like to keep track of whatever data I can get my hands on. I figure I’m going to get the record for most events logged in a month or so, for the analytic service I’m using, SWFStats.

Flag Post

btw how can a non mod try to silence someone?

Flag Post

They could type in the silence sequence: /silenceUser username

Flag Post

I thought a mod had more powerful tools than a /command…. :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Tukkun:

LOL

hahaha that was me :3

Flag Post

Big update.

/code shortlink no longer works. I’ve changed it, so you just post shortlnk in chat and it works automatically. Shortlinks now, also, have the @ symbol in the front of them. It helps identify them, so don’t remove that.

Game developers are at the top, followed by moderators, followed by regular users.

Also, total time spent is recorded every 5 minutes to the database, and supposedly sent to kong. We’ll see if kong gets the sent times.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:
User that visited the most: sanchez9416 at 15 times.

:D

But anyway, good update, but you could also separate the regular users in 2 (developers and non-developers). So, the developer would be in top of the non-developers. It’s just a suggestion, and I don’t know if you can do that ( if it’s possible).