Game Development Room (GDR) page 4

486 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by sanchez9416:
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:
User that visited the most: sanchez9416 at 15 times.

:D

But anyway, good update, but you could also separate the regular users in 2 (developers and non-developers). So, the developer would be in top of the non-developers. It’s just a suggestion, and I don’t know if you can do that ( if it’s possible).

I don’t know who is a developer or not. No way to check. :( Unless Vent has found a way using messageHandler() yet…

Flag Post

I don’t know who is a developer or not. No way to check. :( Unless Vent has found a way using messageHandler() yet…

actually, i’m going to start work on a ruby app over the next few days that’s hosted on a server – as far as i can tell the service has been running for some time now (best buy uses them too) and it’s free for the basic account, and it doesn’t restrict loading of external data, so if i get it working correctly, i’ll include a section to retrieve data on a user on kong via flash/etc. and it’ll be more permanent/reliable than my little site.

Flag Post

Can you not get it from this: http://www.kongregate.com/developer_center/docs/user-info-web-service-api ?

Flag Post
Originally posted by fatjohndaly:

Can you not get it from this: http://www.kongregate.com/developer_center/docs/user-info-web-service-api ?

That is a JSON feed. That feed is only allowed to be accessed if the site’s crossdomain.xml policy says yes. Unfortunately, the crossdomain.xml for kong says no, and so I cannot access that data.

Flag Post

Can you access it from your server?

Flag Post

Can you access it from your server?

i believe he iterated that player.io does not allow that somewhere in the thread.

Flag Post

That is a JSON feed. That feed is only allowed to be accessed if the site’s crossdomain.xml policy says yes. Unfortunately, the crossdomain.xml for kong says no, and so I cannot access that data.

Um… http://api.kongregate.com/api/user_info.json

Flag Post

i cant get on to caesary it keeps saying connection lost pls help

Flag Post
Originally posted by SavageWolf:

Um… http://api.kongregate.com/api/user_info.json

well, it’d be nice if the documentation stated that the user_info JSON was on more than just www.kongregate.com, seems that jim/emily need to hire someone to keep the documentation up to date and correct

Originally posted by jordiboy:

i cant get on to caesary it keeps saying connection lost pls help

go post your problem in the tech support forum, this forum is for programming and related topics, your problem is not under that category, nor do any of us know anything about how caesary works.

Flag Post

Wow..so much for undocumented. I even forgot to check there. Since the badges were moved their I’m betting most feeds also have a copy there.

Flag Post

Good news. We now have correct user identification. Admins + people on the Profusion dev team are RED. Moderators on Kong + sanchez and Pimgd are ORANGE. Developers are BLUE, unless they have higher position(e.g. admin or mod). Regular users are BLACK.

Doing that, the way I have set up, reduces server calls and load time by almost half. Unforutunately, it seems the previous “Total Minutes” is now stuck in no where land doing absolutely nothing. I will see if I can remove that from the database and perhaps add it to your current time. Possibly, but most likely not because of the way the server permits access to PlayerObjects.

Also some minor updates like the text in code box is different, Brayden is colored Red now.

On another note, security is improved, after skyboys little run with a null(?) or non existent (length-0) username. Added some basic checks on log in, and I won’t elaborate into that much more.

EDIT And those of you who think like jonathan, I am not racist. ;)

Flag Post

I think you need a FD game tutorial in the links at the top. The one there already is more of just setting it up, not really learning much. The shootorials & MJW avoider are all aimed towards cs users and it can be confusing for newbies to convert them.
THis is the guide I used to start out with
http://prototyprally.com/category/making-games-in-actionscript-30/
idk if anyone else has a better one. Feels rude to recommend FD when you can’t point to a good guide though! :P

Flag Post

Haha, I just point them to Paltar’s Tutorial (Getting Started with FlashDevelop) and let them go.

Flag Post

Could you add an options screen where you can set stuff like the colours you want the code to appear in and such?

Flag Post

With the unforutunate event of reaching the max data stored online, I’ve been forced to dump all data stored in the data base. Not exactly sure what that entails. I believe its just code box, but it could also be some timers not sure. :( Very annoying. Trust me.

This was caused after we reached cap around 10 hours ago, and it caused errors on all clients, even when others post data, so I made the decision to delete everything. I am definitely going to look into some lossless compression for strings, and any help will be welcomed.

If I can’t get a way to reserve more space, then I will resort to clearing the data base every 2 weeks.

Flag Post

With the unforutunate event of reaching the max data stored online, I’ve been forced to dump all data stored in the data base. Not exactly sure what that entails. I believe its just code box, but it could also be some timers not sure. :( Very annoying. Trust me.

This was caused after we reached cap around 10 hours ago, and it caused errors on all clients, even when others post data, so I made the decision to delete everything. I am definitely going to look into some lossless compression for strings, and any help will be welcomed.

If I can’t get a way to reserve more space, then I will resort to clearing the data base every 2 weeks.

you could start a donation screen on you website or game and pay for a bigger data base?

Flag Post

I don’t think I could raise enough money for that. And it would be a bit excessive. GDR wasn’t meant to store tons of code in the first place. I had planned on cleaning it every week until I noticed people posted shortlinks in the chat.

And also, I cannot reply to your (PM) message because it seems you accidentally muted me? Perhaps accidentally clicked on mute instead of friend?

Flag Post

I don’t think I could raise enough money for that. And it would be a bit excessive. GDR wasn’t meant to store tons of code in the first place. I had planned on cleaning it every week until I noticed people posted shortlinks in the chat.

And also, I cannot reply to your (PM) message because it seems you accidentally muted me? Perhaps accidentally clicked on mute instead of friend?

Oh how much does it cost

Flag Post
Originally posted by Seanproductions:

Oh how much does it cost

A lot more than I have.

Flag Post

use LZW, if you change all characters to \uxxxx too, thne this can greatly reduce the size, if you combine some base64 techniques, you can reduce 7 characters or more to a couple bytes

Flag Post

Do you have to store the code on Player.IO’s servers? It seems like it would be cheaper to just keep them on some basic webhost.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Rivaledsouls:

Do you have to store the code on Player.IO’s servers? It seems like it would be cheaper to just keep them on some basic webhost.

I definitely looked for some place to store them. I’m not sure if a basic webhost would allow that kind of bandwidth usage, perhaps… Anyways, I looked a tons of code storage places, and all of them were in accessible, though some were close. Pastebin.com worked posting code, but I could not retrieve it. (lack of crossdomain again). So I just thought player.io would be easiest.

I think I well move the code over to a different type of database within player.io so they will be non-PlayerObjects. That will give me more control over what I delete and when. It will also allow me to perhaps, view and edit the entire data online rather than having to clear it all.

Flag Post

And working on this at the same time.

Scroll to the right.

Flag Post

And working on this at the same time.

Scroll to the right.

I’m Chattin!
And what does /unicorn do

Flag Post

Maybe you should only keep code for, say, a week?