Swish

8 posts

Flag Post

I recently downloaded SwishMax (http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?area=products&product=max) and I think I’m going to buy it ($100 vs $1000 for Flash) and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it, and could share anything useful.
(besides “Noooo! It’s not as good as flash!”)

Flag Post

Flash costs $700. I got mine for about $500 ($300 for Flash MX factory sealed on eBay + $200 for upgrade to Flash CS3 in the Adobe Store).

I don’t know anything about SwishMax, though.

Flag Post

I heard its bad =\

Flag Post

You can make .swf files with Swish, but I recently had to try to debug a .fla file that Swish exported, and it was a mess. So, here’s your “it’s not as good as Flash” post… Probably just depends on how much you’re trying to do with it, but I can’t imagine it being good for making games.

Flag Post

I used to use SWiSHmax, and it’s good. It exports .SWF files, but does not use .FLA files for source code. It uses its own type called .SWI

May explain your debugging problems Indie.

Flag Post

OK, thanks. My demo’s run out so I think I’m going to buy it in the next few days.

Flag Post

May explain your debugging problems Indie.

Crushproof:

Please don’t be confused. I didn’t have any “debugging problems” because I know exactly what I’m doing…

I know what Swish is and how it operates. I am referring to exporting Swish files (.swi) for use in Flash (.fla), not the other way around (because there is absolutely no reason to use Swish if you have Flash). It is possible to export a .fla file from Swish, but the file is garbage. So, it’s a one-way street.

You can create .swf files easily, and you can make .swi files, but they can only be edited in Swish. In the situation I was referring to above, you had someone make a file in Swish, then try to export it as a .fla and pass it off to a professional Flash programmer (me) to make some changes. It was junk. It cost my company money, because I had to re-make the file.

That said, if you like it, Argent, then by all means go for it. I’m not saying it doesn’t have it’s uses; I’m just sharing my experience with it. If all you want to do is make some .swf files and never edit them in Flash itself, then you’re probably fine.

Flag Post

I never knew SWiSH could export .fla files.