Web Hosting? (locked)

13 posts

Flag Post

So I recently learned how to write HTML from scratch. And I built myself a website.

Now what? How do I do the whole web hosting thing? Which web hosting service is the best? What are the differences?

As you can see, I’m pretty uninformed on this, so any info would be helpful… Thanks!

Flag Post

I’ve looked at HostGator. They seem to be pretty good. Use the online chat if you have any questions. Pretty cheap plans.

I also, saw an ad for LimeDomains on this thread, which I am going to check out right now. They had the same price as Host Gator so I want to see the difference.

EDIT And no, it doesn’t seem they are as good. Their offers page is misleading. You only get the cheap price for 1 month. And they don’t have unlimited disk space.

Flag Post

http://www.000webhost.com/

Free, used them for a demo site for my church. Has php and a mySQL database. Make sure to sign up WITH hosting, as opposed to just the domain name.

Every few months or so they’ll send you an email saying they’re going to delete your site unless you log in again, but it’s not a big deal (just log in, as they ask, you can do it as many times as you want to) until you don’t need to keep your stuff online anymore, then you can let them reclaim the space.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

Free, used them for a demo site for my church. Has php and a mySQL database. Make sure to sign up WITH hosting, as opposed to just the domain name.

Ye, this site is the on that offer you the most bandwich for free, but if you want to have google ads on your website, it’s not allowed. Anyway, I don’t think you’ll need ads :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

Every few months or so they’ll send you an email saying they’re going to delete your site unless you log in again, but it’s not a big deal (just log in, as they ask, you can do it as many times as you want to) until you don’t need to keep your stuff online anymore, then you can let them reclaim the space.

Can you look at these pages?
That hosting site has a very bad reputation (look at the comments).

I personally don’t have a web host I recommned. Althrough, it looks like you should especially not use that site (beside the affilation system scam, there are complaints about massive security holes, they are just dropping your site/suspending your account without reason, and they let you download viruses).

Flag Post

I use HostGator… Seems to work well…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vara:

Can you look at these pages?
That hosting site has a very bad reputation (look at the comments).

I personally don’t have a web host I recommned. Althrough, it looks like you should especially not use that site (beside the affilation system scam, there are complaints about massive security holes, they are just dropping your site/suspending your account without reason, and they let you download viruses).

First off, I never used the auto-installer. I am sufficiently versed in how to use FTP (really people, it’s not that hard). So I have no comments on that.

Second, they DO send out emails before they delete your site “due to inactivity.” There’s at least one guy who apparently didn’t give a valid email address or something and never saw it (if you don’t see a “welcome to 000webhost” email, then your email ISP probably filtered it as spam; hint: this means any cancellation warnings will also be marked as spam!).

Third, if you’re going to use a free hosting service, why are you paying them money? Seriously.

Fourth, you (CCM333) are doing web development for yourself, learning HTML. You could either spend the time figuring how how to turn your own computer into a webhost (if you really really want to) and even more time figuring out how to install Apache (for php/mySQL; which isn’t always strait forward), or you could use a shitty free service (and choose which kind of shitty you’d like to experience).

Flag Post

I haven’t really had a problem with this hosting company as of yet. and you can receive 1 year free hosting with a 2 year contract, 2 domains, etc. I’d at least take a look at it. the hosting packages are rather affordable as well

http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=25263101

edit: ugh and this thread was just beginning to die :p

Flag Post

And yes, you just answered after a spam post.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

you can find web host resellers that sell cheaper. if you go though hostgater you’re over paying for space and bandwidth you’re not going to use so you might as well use a shared host that probably has a resellers package from hostgator or another big named hoster.

I use to sell my hosting on hackforums.net in the marketing section, tons of others do the same and they have a websites which sets you up automatically. You can find $1/mo for all the space you need… some even offer unlimited because they know your not going to use up that much data.

hope this helps. trust me you don’t wanna pay 50/mo or more just for 1-5 websites, go cheap.

also avoid the free hosting, you get ALOT more for just $1/mo such as your website not being removed.

learn about FTP because its how most hosts allow you to put files on their servers.

Flag Post

Spam thread be getting more spam. I be locking.