GiTD [#16] Voting

39 posts

Flag Post

Flag Post

Theme:
Dinosaurs

Voting Ends:
Friday 29th April 10pm GMT (5pm EST, 2pm PST)

Voting Rules:
You must vote for a 1st place and a 2nd Place. The 1st place vote will receive 2 points and the 2nd place vote will receive 1 point. The person with the most points will win. Using alts to vote will result in disqualifications. Remember to make it clear who you are voting for. You cannot vote for yourself.

Entrants:
darkscanner – Cretaceous Reserve
Senekis93 – Defend the Mafia headquarters from the evil dinosaurs
byrono – Day of the Undead Dino
GamerFefan – Dino Quest

Good Luck to everyone.

Flag Post

Few! I just made the deadline. What a week this has been! Too bad I couldn’t have finished the last boss though. :P

1- dino quest
2- Defend the Mafia headquarters from the evil dinosaurs

Flag Post

It’s hard to decide between darkscanner and gamerfefan. It feels like gamerfefan game me more content, but he also kept spitting errors at me (about 2 errors every second. had to do with removeBullet()).

1 darkscanner
2 gamerfefan

Flag Post

Cretaceous Reserve: I liked the graphics and some parts of the level design, specially some enemies placement. The bad thing is that, being a platformer, you can’t expect anything but a perfect collision system and this game is way too glitchy to be enjoyable… half of the time the dinosaur will be walking through the ground or you’ll jump and then fall all the way down even after landing on the ground. The same goes for the enemies; sometimes you’ll have to jump more than once until they actually die.
And… going back to the starting point after dying is not good considering how long it takes to advance.

Day of the Undead Dino: Loved the graphics and the “undead dinos” concept, but the gameplay is not that exciting. I’m gonna quote the top rated comment of your game:
“love the concept but there’s just not enough to this game to keep me playing. needs jumping, power-ups and more enemy types”.
I don’t think jumping is needed, but different enemy types and different attacks or powerups would be a great addition to the game.

Dino Quest: I liked the concept and enjoyed the few minutes that it took me to explore the map and complete the mission. I hope you work on it and add some more levels.
Btw, you have a lot of code to fix… the debugger throws a lot of errors about references to null objects.

1.- Dino Quest.

2.- Day of the Undead Dino.

Flag Post

@above Keep in mind that you have to tap the top of their head, for many of them you are supposed to come from an above platform.

Flag Post

I really don’t get how people see those errors on the web. Where does it show the errors and why would you want to see if there are anyway? I can’t see the errors when I play the game. Anyway I guess it’s to late to fix the errors now (or is it? Someone please tell me if it is :)).
My votes:

1. Cretaceous Reserve
2. Defend the Mafia Headquarters from the evil dinosaurs

Flag Post
Originally posted by GamerFefan:

I really don’t get how people see those errors on the web. Where does it show the errors and why would you want to see if there are anyway? I can’t see the errors when I play the game. Anyway I guess it’s to late to fix the errors now (or is it? Someone please tell me if it is :)).
My votes:

1. Cretaceous Reserve

get the incubator build.

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerber:

My votes:

1. Cretaceous Reserve

get the incubator build.

No, just get any debugger player instead of the release player.

Flag Post

@darkscanner: I noticed, but sometimes they won’t die… like while the first enemy (the red Trex-like one) is getting ready to attack; it won’t die even if you hit its head. Or perhaps you coded it so they can’t die while the attack animation is running?

@Fefan: Debugger
E:Ninja’d.

Flag Post

Oh gawd, Adobe’s Debugger is terrible for my computer. 1 error and my whole browser crashed. I ended it in Processes and now the music WON’T STOP for my game. I can’t even go to processes to remove anything, because firefox has already been removed. Well, this sucks. It’s going to repeat 99 times…

Flag Post

Have you tried restarting your computer?

Flag Post
Originally posted by darkscanner:

No, but if this keeps happening, then I’m just going to uninstall the debugger.

Edit: This program is seriously like a virus. A few games I have played have each crashed my browser because of 1 simple error, and if one of those games have music, it will never stop.

Flag Post

1. Cretaceous Reserve

Flag Post

No, but if this keeps happening, then I’m just going to uninstall the debugger.

Tell me about it. The incubator is giving me headaches too, but its somewhat good for learning.

Flag Post

UG, can you update my link please? This one has no errors (Not that I know of. If you find an error please tell me and what the error is). Also it has WASD controls :[ Here’s the link

By the way, Darkscanner, why aren’t you voting?

Flag Post

UG, can you update my link please? This one has no errors (Not that I know of. If you find an error please tell me and what the error is). Also it has WASD controls :[ Here’s the link

By the way, Darkscanner, why aren’t you voting?

Few! I just made the deadline. What a week this has been! Too bad I couldn’t have finished the last boss though. :P

1- dino quest
2- Defend the Mafia headquarters from the evil dinosaurs

Flag Post
Originally posted by Wimbleton:

1. Cretaceous Reserve

Umm are you an alt of darkscanner?

Flag Post

darkscanner – Cretaceous Reserve:
The graphics were nicely done, but jumping, walking and fighting, so basically everything felt glitchy. It’s weird to be forced to use the mouse to open dialogues, they could’ve just popped up when standing near them. That you can fall down adds to the games glitchiness. There weren’t sfx, but the music was nice.

Senekis93 – Defend the Mafia headquarters from the evil dinosaurs:
The graphics were not that good, neither the gameplay. It’s one of these games were you don’t really know what you’re doing, the bullets were near invisible because of the background, and there were no sfx.

byrono – Day of the Undead Dino:
Not that good. It seems like the blocks are stolen, and the gameplay is pretty crappy / senseless. At least there was music and an API:

GamerFefan – Dino Quest
By far the best game here. Maybe a bit of a rippoff (Elephant quest), but who cares. It was slightly glitchy too, but not as bad as the other games. The quest system and everything are nicely implemented, the graphics are nice and there’s even weather. You should continue working on it until it’s finished, because it got potential. And add WASD controls. (Edit: Hey, there’s actually a better version of it. Nice :) )

My voting:
1. GamerFefan – Dino Quest
2. darkscanner – Cretaceous Reserve

Flag Post

Edit: This program is seriously like a virus. A few games I have played have each crashed my browser because of 1 simple error, and if one of those games have music, it will never stop.

do not end firefox.exe, it does not control flash anymore.
end plugin-container.exe.

the error window produced causes the thread that automatically ends the process when firefox closes to wait for the dialogue to close, and not act until then. this, similarly, disrupts communication with firefox. the debugger window being created improperly by flash is causing a cascade of failures that were not anticipated by either Adobe nor Mozilla. similar to one of Adobe’s memory handling updates that causes all of flash to crash without releasing the memory previous allocated (this falls partially on Mozilla)1. refreshing can start flash back up, but to free the memory, you must end the plugin-container process: not doing this will eventually result in system wide instability when the available RAM is dried up and all that’s left is the swap: on SATA and SDDs that issue is slightly mitigated (until the swap is also dried up) but on older hardware, I/O is so slow it brings the entire system to a grinding halt. quite literally for some loud HDDs. with an automatic refresh meta tag / javascript<→flash communication an attacker can cause the system to crash (BSoD / lockup) within minutes if done correctly.
there’s a related problem in the numeric sorting (both sort and sortOn. sort stalls for longer than sortOn) on a bunch of null / the same values, which can cause flash to stop responding for several minutes for non-malicious cases, and for several hours or days or even years for malicious cases.

i have reported some of the problems to Adobe, but their severity results in no-one being able to track the topic (permissions) and since Adobe has yet to act, i guess it will take a wide-spread malicious attack to jolt them into doing something about these shockingly serious problems

1 i should note, FP 10.0 does not have this issue. it simply throws an error and stops executing until the next loop, so this is not a long-standing issue, nor was it previously a vector for an attack: this is a new problem as a result of an incompetent programmer and/or incompetent QA combined with missing unit tests.

Flag Post

1. Defend the Mafia headquarters from the evil dinosaurs
2. Dino Quest

Flag Post

Thanks skyboy for that heap of information. I’ll download Flash Player 10 then, but why was the debugger even published and let out to the world if it barely works?

Originally posted by byrono:
Umm are you an alt of darkscanner?

He made his account in 2008, I highly doubt it’s an alt.

Flag Post

1) GamerFefan – Dino Quest
2) darkscanner – Cretaceous Reserve

Flag Post

My votes:

1: GamerFeFan – Dino Quest
2: Senekis93 – DtMHQftED
(Edit – Yeah, I did that ^)

Nice work, everyone.
Cretaceous Reserve – Most creative name award. I like your idea, but I feel like it’s way too complicated for a simple “ten day” game. There is too much text/explanation necessary to keep my attention. I also thought that the jumping physics were awkward, like I didn’t jump high enough, and I shouldn’t be able to “bounce-bounce-bounce” by holding the up arrow. Also, if your WASD keys aren’t being used for anything else, why not allow them to move the character? This is much more natural for some players. The first time I played, I “talked” to the first dinosaur, then jumped off the stage to the left. I didn’t really know what I was doing, or why my dinosaur could survive such incredible falls.

Defend the Mafia headquarters from the evil dinosaurs – Good job on this, I like the game, but I was frustrated that I basically had to lose in order to beat waves. I would’ve probably voted for this game as #1 if not for that aspect. Simple, but effective graphics, and a decent variety of enemies/upgrades. It would be nice if there were an easy way to target specific enemies, however. I felt like I was always shooting the “top” or largest dinosaur in the stack, but sometimes would’ve liked to aim at the large group of little guys below first. Perhaps add a little more vertical variety to your attackers? I guess if I have one other suggestion, it would be a shorter title :)

Day of the Undead Dino – I tried really hard to give your game a chance. My primary issue with the game is that I couldn’t find any sound options. While you may think your game has great music, many players are already bobbing their heads to something playing through their iTunes media player, and the lack of options to mute/adjust volume are simply frustrating. That being said, I killed about 3 dinosaur zombies and got bored. As a couple others have mentioned, it has potential, but feels like it’s lacking some important depth. The game also felt really slow-paced, in the short time that I did play it. Didn’t really grab my attention other than in the “how can I make this music stop?” kind of way.

Dino Quest – As I mentioned above, sound options are necessary. I wasn’t entirely frustrated with your music choice, but I’d still like the option to mute music/SFX (separately, I usually leave the SFX on). Although the game wasn’t huge, I had a good time trying it out. Something about the graphics/gameplay seems very friendly and encourages exploration. Could definitely be expanded upon a bit, I also think your game should include WASD for movement, and that your jumping is a bit awkward. Overall, great job. “Why’d you kill Mr. Fishy??! Why!?”

Again, great work by all entrants!

Flag Post

Cretaceous Reserve: Far too slow moving for my liking. It took ages for me to actually get anywhere, and when I finally did I’d end up dieing and being sent right back to the start. I stopped playing this fairly quickly as I couldn’t be bothered walking through the same bland level sections over and over again. Definitely needs some kind of checkpoint system. You should also consider shortening the dialog, presenting a player with walls of text as soon as they start playing is a great way to kill their interest in your game.

As mentioned by others, the hit detection is pretty poor. I fell through platforms while trying to climb several times which was incredibly annoying. I also couldn’t tell when I’d been hit by an enemy, except by staring at my health. Maybe have the player flash/flicker, or some other visual clue to show when you’re hurt?

Overall, it’s a decent idea that needs a huge amount of polish. I appreciate that you only had 10 days, but when fundamental components such as the platform collision just don’t work at all, it makes it really hard to enjoy.

Day of the Undead Dino: I had high hopes for this game, but it turned out to have very little substance. The gameplay consists almost entirely of holding down the right arrow and mashing the a key, which gets repetitive very quickly. There needs to be some kind of indication of progress, different (not just in colour) and bigger enemies need to appear as you get further into the game, and you could also have the background changing for example.

Possibly the thing that stuck out to me the most though is how unsatisfying attacking is. I can’t tell at all if I’m damaging the enemies until they just suddenly disappear. A health bar above the enemies heads would be the simplest solution, but the zombie theme gives a lot of potential for more interesting damage models. Maybe have limbs/tails/heads fall off as they take damage? Or have sections of the enemy become charred and burnt? Endless possibilities really.

Defend the Mafia headquarters from the evil dinosaurs: Suffers from the same problem as Day of the Undead Dino, there’s not enough gameplay and it quickly becomes dull and repetitive. I left the mouse pointing at the base of the building and the game pretty much played itself.

Dino Quest: It’s a fairly obvious Elephant Quest clone, but I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing (Cretaceous Reserve is also a clone, albeit much less blatant). My only complaints would be the weather system, which changes far too frequently and suddenly, and the fact that it’s a little light on content at the moment. You just have to throw a load more quests in there, and spend a good amount of time polishing, and you could have a decent game on your hands.

I’d recommend finding a good artist if you were thinking of continuing this into a full game. Your art’s not horrific, but I think they could be better, and that great visuals could make all the difference. I’d also consider trying to differentiate your game from Elephant Quest more, simple things like having the dinosaur shoot fireballs from his mouth rather than a laser on his head, and changing the controls from down to talk to something else.

In conclusion: 1st Dino Quest; 2nd Cretaceous Reserve