[Kongregate API] AS2 Integration page 3 (locked)

212 posts

Flag Post

All the good resources must be used, right? ;)

In ColorBuster, the field name for MePixa’s Site Ranking the Kongregate nick appears (but the player can change if he want). Its a great resource!

Im waiting for the save for “Alice and the Necromancer”, the next game, like O Cofre, with more RPG and combat.

Flag Post

MrcredsAlex, sure you were the first to use the kongregate_username variable in your game, but someone would have found it sooner or later, so don’t act like it’s such a big deal.

Flag Post

If I wanted to track statistics for a Shockwave game, would it be possible to include a Flash movie in the Shockwave game just for this purpose? Director can easily communicate with an embedded Flash movie, so it seems like it would work…

!(>_<)!

Flag Post

I went ahead and made a demo where a Shockwave movie and a Flash movie share information using a Local Connection Object. They are two separate movies running in the same browser window.

if anyone is watching this thread, please let me know if this type of solution could be applied to tracking statistics for Shockwave movies. I’d be glad to help out if possible.

http://www.funfacegames.com/games/test/fla_dir_talk.htm

Flag Post

Funface, I appreciate you making the demo. We definitely want to support shockwave movies as soon as possible. I will see if I can’t find some time to take a look at this issue in the near future.

Flag Post

Sounds great!
I’ve got some nice stats ready to track in 3D Battle Ball, let me know if you need any help.

I put the source code for both of those movies in a zip file at:
http://www.funfacegames.com/games/test/

!(>_<)!

Flag Post

im way too lazy to read the post but thanks for the programming tips.

Flag Post

as3 support would be nice! :)

:(

Flag Post

How much time we have to wait until AS3 will be supported ???

Flag Post

What do I need to do to add Tasks and Challenges?

Thanks

Flag Post

AS3 support any time? Maybe some of the AS3 programmers can help to port the API.

Flag Post

I was going to ask this question in an email to Greg, but I think it would be beneficial for everyone to know.

I’m getting a few bug reports about people not getting the card when they score 1 million points in Oroboros. This is likely due to how often scores get sent to Kong. Currently I send the score when you finish a level, when you die, and when you press the restart button.

My question is this: Since scoring happens quite rapidly in Oroboros -sometimes 5-10 times a second- how would performance be affected if I sent an update each time the players score changed?

!(>_<)!

Flag Post

AS3 support any time? Maybe some of the AS3 programmers can help to port the API.

Preparations are under way, and the AS3 port will likely begin next week.

bq. how would performance be affected if I sent an update each time the players score changed?

I dont think thats a good idea. Perhaps put a check that senses when they pass 1 million, and send it then, before the level finishes or they die.

Flag Post

Let me see if I understand this properly. Let’s say the challenge is to collect, oh, say, 8 orbs of power. And let’s say you’ve got 8 boolean variables keeping track of which orbs the player has collected. Would it work, then, to insert a function like this?

function checkOrbTotal () {

totalOrbs = 0;

if (gotOrb1true) { totalOrbs++; } if (gotOrb2true) {
totalOrbs++; }
if (gotOrb3true) { totalOrbs++; } etc... if (gotOrb8true) {
totalOrbs++; }

if (totalOrbs==8) {
_root.kongregateStats.submit(“Orbs”,8); // The user collected all 8 orbs
}

Flag Post

Replying to a few topics here, as I don’t do this nearly as much as I should…

Funface, there is currently a bug in the Flash player that will cause our API to not work correctly some of the time. Adobe is aware of this issue, and has assured us that it will work in future releases. (This is known as the ‘red dot’ issue.) Sending updates very frequently should not tax the server, and is actually recommended, as we rate-limit submissions in the API itself. In short, if people are not getting the card, it might be an issue on our end, and not yours. We will contact developers personally if we feel that their game has risen above the signal-to-noise ratio.

SinisterDesign, yes that would work, but you may as well just submit a stat that contains the total number of orbs like _root.kongregateStats.submit(“Orbs”,totalOrbs); Then we could set up a challenge/badge such as ‘collect all 8 orbs’ and also one that was to ‘collect just 4 orbs’, etc. The more statistics you submit for your game, the more flexibility we have for creating challenges/badges. The goal is for the developer to submit many statistics or ‘events’ from their games, and for us to create challenges/badges based on these statistics.

As for AS3 support, we have arcaneCoder looking into this issue, and I can assure you that he will get this done ASAP and it will be as smooth/eloquent as anyone could possibly make it. He has more AS3 experience than anyone on our team, and was definitely the preferred person to have working on this API.

Flag Post

So the process, then, is that we set up our games with statistics, and Kongregate then chooses the challenges / badges based on the statistics we submit?

Flag Post

Correct

Flag Post

How do you integrate it for a point-and-click, say when you beat the game? Would it just be a boolean value? Also, is anything written with CS3 automatically AS3?

Flag Post

My game is a time based game, so the lower the score, the better. So if I add the API to make it be possible to get the badge in like 60 seconds what do i do?

_root.kongregateStats.submit(“LapTime”,60); //User finished a lap in 60 seconds

Would this mean in 60 seconds or less, 60 seconds or more, or 60 seconds exact?
How would I write it if I want it to finish in 60 seconds or less? (The variable for the time is ‘totalseconds’)

Flag Post

Just submit the time and the badge requirement would be for it to be less than or equal to 60.

Flag Post

How do you decide wich games have badges? We put a statistic for the levels completed in our game Neurolight.. everything seems to work fine (connecting to the server, etc), but we don’t know how to “apply” to have achievement badges ;)

Flag Post

Snails, I make them, and I generally look at games with ratings around 3.5 and higher, though there are some exceptions. I might consider Neurolight because the game is pretty simple. What about your Max Mesiria games, though? You could just send a “1” for “GameComplete” or something when the games are finished, and we could do a little series with those.

Flag Post

Thank you for the clarification. :)
about Mesiria.. you see… we made both chapters over 6 months ago, and both .fla files are corrupted.. (graphics missing in some scenes, and if we export the .swf, there are some bugs in the game) so we can’t modify it anymore :(
However, MAYBE we have an intact version somewhere on a cd.. we’ll check this out, and if we can we’ll make statistics for it. (“GameComplete” for example)

Flag Post

Ok we found a good version of both chapters (Mesiria) and we made a few statistics, you can chose the ones you want and create badges ;)

Flag Post

Do the commands work with AS1?

I recently upgraded – to Flash MX – and wondered if I can still use the API.