wmode=direct (stage3d,Starling)

18 posts

Flag Post

As I understand from the documentation on the molehill api, is that you need wmode set to either gpu or direct. Now I’m interested in using the Starling framework to get a bigger speed boost than blitting. The problem is that this asks for a change in the html wrapper, provided by the portal. I suspect most portals don’t set the wmode at all and wmode defaults to window. This would effectively make Stage3D useless for game development.

Does anybody know what Kongs stand on this is? I’d like to see the ability to have a dropbox what wmode to use when uploading a game.

Flag Post

It’s all a matter of demand. I assume Kong will have it eventually, and as more and more flashes say “this flash won’t work unless you have wmode as gpu or direct” then portals will be more and more forced to support it.

Flag Post

We are working on testing setting the wmode to direct for Flash 11 games. I don’t have an exact release date, but I think I can safely say it’s imminent.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phoenix00017:

We are working on testing setting the wmode to direct for Flash 11 games. I don’t have an exact release date, but I think I can safely say it’s imminent.

selectively or globally?

if globally, it’d be easier to test if the installed version is >= 11 and set wmode to direct (i don’t think this reduces performance compared to windowed) for that, otherwise letting it default.

Flag Post

bump

What’s the status on this? Does Kongregate support wmode=direct yet? Does anyone know of any Molehill games on Kong?

Flag Post

Best would be if the user who is viewing the flash had a simple small dropdown box where he could select what mode to use. Obviously authors could select what should be default. This would allow us to use a better fitting mode for older flashes that has already been uploaded.

Flag Post

I am also ineterested if kongregate is going to allow stage3d games in nearest future?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Septem13:

I am also ineterested if kongregate is going to allow stage3d games in nearest future?

Originally posted by Phoenix00017:

wmode direct means you can have stage3D.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Septem13:

Perhaps if you made a special request they can do this for you. As far as I know, wmode isn’t the correct one yet. truefire can correct me if I’m wrong.

Flag Post

A more explicit answer:

(is kongregate) going to allow stage3d games in nearest future?

I can safely say it’s imminent.

wmode=direct or wmode = gpu (I think) is required for stage3D. To the best of Phoenix’s knowledge, wmode=direct WILL be coming. He is the most qualified person to answer so far.

tl;dr: As far as is forseeable, Kongregate WILL allow stage3D games in the future. How near that future is is a matter of perspective.

Flag Post

Hi guys, thanks fo replies. I know that I need to set proper wmode in order to use stage3d. But as far as I know there is no option to set it for your swf yet? I want to make 3d game and want at least somehow plan my time so it would be really great if someone fom kongregate could give at least approximate date. Is it going to happen this year or next? :)

Flag Post

Hit up the admins and see if you can get any info on it.

I linked Phoenix to this thread but he seems pretty inactive in the community nowadays.

Flag Post

Wow – old thread! wmode=direct is set automatically for Stage3D games on Kongregate (and actually has been for months). So you should be able to upload them at will. Feel free to email us if you have problems getting it working. I’ll try to keep tabs on this thread, but I’ll admit up front that I’m not great about that.

Flag Post

I linked Phoenix to this thread but he seems pretty inactive in the community nowadays.

He replied just to make you wrong >;D

More on topic, anyone know how Kong would do this? Do swfs have an easily accessible stage3d flag embedded in them or something?

Flag Post

Trying to find that too Bob. Unfortunately the only comprehensive swf specification doc I can find is for FP10: http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/swf/pdf/swf_file_format_spec_v10.pdf

Flag Post

Why can’t we just use direct mode for all games regardless of stage3d or not?

Flag Post

I do think it should be an option.

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerberberber:

Why can’t we just use direct mode for all games regardless of stage3d or not?

Somewhere it said something about security (or something). Not sure though.