programming tutoriel

30 posts

Flag Post

i want to lean programming in a few days

where is the programming tutoriel,is it here,or on youtube?

edit: its is to male games like mw3

Flag Post

There is a tutorial here: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/4-game-programming/topics/160453-how-to-make-flash-games-read-before-posting
But MW3 was not only made my many people, but by many companies of experienced programmers. Don’t expect anything close to that

Flag Post
Originally posted by Outstream:

There is a tutorial here: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/4-game-programming/topics/160453-how-to-make-flash-games-read-before-posting
But MW3 was not only made my many people, but by many companies of experienced programmers. Don’t expect anything close to that

i can do that,because i will work hours on the game!

Flag Post
Originally posted by shaynz:
Originally posted by Outstream:

No, you can’t do it even if you work for hours on your game. At the very first, it’ll take you a few years just to be experienced with a particular language even then I suspect you can’t make a game by yourself and/or without the help of other people. You should try to get in programming language, then you can know how much it will take to make a game.

Flag Post

Agreed. While its good to be optimistic about your future abilities, you MUST keep a great degree of reason on-hand. For one, reason is almost synonymous with logic, which is what programming is at the core. You will realize before long that you wont be able to create an Unreal Engine from zero-knowledge within a few days, and it will take you probably a week to build your first program that can be called a game. What its going to take to get to that level is a lot of hard work and determination. You keep sights on that dream and you work to make it a reality. Its going to be a bumpy road but hopefully on the way you will meet others who specialize in certain things (3D modeling, sound, backend servers, etc) and maybe, just maybe you can make this happen. :D

Flag Post

http://yourgameideaistoobig.com/

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

http://yourgameideaistoobig.com/

It seems it’ll take me 302 years to create a 3D realtime MMORPG, creating my own custom engine. Better get started.

Flag Post

lol

Flag Post

not sure if troll or just 12 years old.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Danishdragon:

not sure if troll or just 12 years old.

Now, now. For all we know his swag could just be extreme iliteralism.
Or we could be making fun of an extremely intelligent person whos first language isn’t English.
A go getter with big dreams.

If it was that easy to make a game, than I would be drinking purp drank out of my pimp chalice!

But I hear you. You want to make games and are willing to spend hours trying?
I recommend this book: Essential ActionScript 3.0 by Moock
And I recommend this tutorial: asgamer shooting 101

Good luck friend.

Flag Post

i want to lean programming in a few days

where is the programming tutoriel,is it here,or on youtube?

Lol 13 year old “trolling” on the internet and laughing enthusiastically with his friends when no one is even mad. Real trolls are subtle, not obvious like you. You need to be on the internet more lol.

Flag Post

Lol, “I can do it because I’ll work hours on the game”.
I’ve been working on my 2D platform Shooter for 8 months now. Making a game like MW3 is a whole other level of game making.

Flag Post

No guys let him work on the game by himself it will only take 20 years to make.

Flag Post

ITT: People trying to decide whether the OP is 12 or a troll, as if it matters

Flag Post

I understand it would be extremely hard for an entry-level dev to make such a big project as a platform game, because it requires a lot of functions and time. But how much time would you reckon it would take for someone who doesn’t know it all, but knows the basics and a bit more than that (an intermediate?)

Flag Post

Also, in your opinion, is it better to self-learn, or get a degree? I have learnt AS3 for about a year now, and know quite a bit, but am considering a course and am wondering if it is worth it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jasonjie88:

Also, in your opinion, is it better to self-learn, or get a degree? I have learnt AS3 for about a year now, and know quite a bit, but am considering a course and am wondering if it is worth it.

Don’t know, have taught myself AS3 for 3 or 4 years now. Made great progress. If your looking into any courses labled “Game Design” its a joke. It normally teaches actual design of games, no programming. And usually has you work with a program like Game Maker. Its stupid.
If your interested in Game Design, and have a passion for it, you should already know everything they want to teach you in a class like that.
So look for a class that has the goal of teaching you a certain programming language, like AS3.
Also don’t fall in the trap of a class that teaches you to use a program like Adobe Flash.
Theres a big difference between learning Flash, and learning to program with AS3. At least in lingual reference.

I understand it would be extremely hard for an entry-level dev to make such a big project as a platform game, because it requires a lot of functions and time. But how much time would you reckon it would take for someone who doesn’t know it all, but knows the basics and a bit more than that (an intermediate?)

My silvers on 2 years for you. Same amount of time its taking me. Get started friend. Good luck.

Flag Post

If you can, get both. A degree in general programming helps with any programming language, as you will be aware of programming paradigms, like what is a sorted array and how to use it, and similar language-independent stuff, so you will have an easier time developing data architecture for whatever game you would want to make. I am still learning AS, being a graduate in general programming, this helps loads and loads.

Flag Post
Originally posted by alecz127:

Don’t know, have taught myself AS3 for 3 or 4 years now. Made great progress. If your looking into any courses labled “Game Design” its a joke. It normally teaches actual design of games, no programming. And usually has you work with a program like Game Maker. Its stupid.
If your interested in Game Design, and have a passion for it, you should already know everything they want to teach you in a class like that.
So look for a class that has the goal of teaching you a certain programming language, like AS3.
Also don’t fall in the trap of a class that teaches you to use a program like Adobe Flash.
Theres a big difference between learning Flash, and learning to program with AS3. At least in lingual reference.

^ all of that is terrible advice. Don’t listen to it.

Flag Post

It’s not all bad. At least, this part is correct:

It’s true; you don’t really want to get stuck using Flash CSX as your development environment.

I agree that the rest isn’t as good advice, though:

If your looking into any courses labled “Game Design” its a joke.

That would depend on the school. RPI, for example, has an excellent, in-depth game development curriculum.

It normally teaches actual design of games, no programming.

Which is what an introductory game design course should focus on.

And usually has you work with a program like Game Maker.

Yeah, you might do well to avoid courses in Game Maker, though I’ve never encountered such a course.

Again, not if you find a good class.

Flag Post

If you see Flash as a career path – and I’d say you don’t need a degree in it if you don’t – then you definitely do need to be able to use Adobe Flash, it’s the industry standard tool no matter what indies think about it.

There are no degrees specifically in Flash or AS3 anyway, because that sort of a degree would be outdated pretty fast. iof you take a Comp Sci type course that’s programming orientated, you’ll do a ton of theory work and a bunch of modules in different languages.The idea is to give you a solid foundation in programming that you can use to adapt to any language, not to teach you one language that might not be around for long. If you want to learn just one language, take a college course in it.

Game design courses will often use Game Maker or similar programs because they’re great for getting prototypes made quickly. Again, the fact that people on a forum like this don’t think much of Game Maker means nothing. You’re not being taught how to use Game Maker, you’re being told to make a prototype in a particular program. If you sneer at this or refuse to do it, well sucks for you, because you’re only limiting yourself. Most companies that you could work for do not write their own engine for games, and they definitely don’t say “hey new guy, we’ll switch over everything we do to how you like to work.” you join the company and they say “these ar the tools we use, you have a day to get the hang of the workflow, and then we expect you to work within the existing structures.”

Flag Post

Flash technically is better than other IDE’s. It’s probably easier to do things in it and can be faster. But if you’re looking to go straight coding, flashdevelop might be better.

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

Game design courses will often use Game Maker or similar programs because they’re great for getting prototypes made quickly.

True, and now that I think about it, my first “course” in the subject used MMF. But all the advanced courses I’ve seen use something more code-oriented, like pygame, XNA, or Unity.

I have been taught a number of alternatives, and your point about needing to learn multiple ways of doing things is entirely correct. However, your point about needing to learn the way Game Maker does things is not. Game Maker’s less-code-focused way of doing things simply isn’t good for developing large projects.
Game companies use Unreal, Panda3D, Corona, Unity, XNA, Flash, and all sorts of other engines/IDEs. I haven’t heard of any that use Game Maker, though.

Originally posted by lSWATLLAMA:

Flash technically is better than other IDE’s.

For graphics/animation, yes, but not for code.

you definitely do need to be able to use Adobe Flash, it’s the industry standard tool no matter what indies think about it.

For graphics/animation, yes, but not for code.

Flag Post

Actually, I’m fairly certain that it is the industry standard for all of those. There was some sort of poll about which programs were used and Flash CSx held the dominant portion by a considerable amount, mostly due to professional industries/whatever.

Flag Post

Bluh, bluh, bluh, bluh.

^ all of that is terrible advice. Don’t listen to it.

the one time I’m not overly specific about each and every thing I say.
x D

Yes. Every last one of my opinions were entirely dependent upon what school, teacher, class, grade is involved.
From my experience with it, especially in High School, its always a course that has you learn game design on a program like Game Maker. You spend a year/half a year/some other amount of time learning how to use the program and make games on it.
This is helpful if you’ve never even thought of making games before and want to know from the bottom step up how to make video games.
But I think its entirely a waste of time. Because its time you COULD be spending getting used to a program that your going to be using for years to design/program/maybe even draw games.
This doesn’t nessasarily have to be Adobe Flash, as this ones free.
Flash Develop

I personally don’t like it for the mere fact that it doesn’t come with built in tools to make graphics and stuff.
Just doesn’t feel right. Or it least it didn’t the last time I heard about it.
You could also be spending all that time learning to program in the selected language you have decided to go with. From my experience it takes a very long time to become proficient at programming, I’m still a mere coder monkey and have been at it for about 2 years now.
So I don’t recommend taking a class on it unless you are very, very, very clear with your teacher about what you want out of this class, and make sure they are very, very, very clear about what the class teaches, what tools it uses, and what you should know by the end of it.
Because a lot of times your just dicking around with some program and end up thinking your the hottest stuff because you made a few small games by pushing buttons and dragging and dropping events into a sequence.