Idle score

18 posts

Flag Post

I want my idle game to keep track of how long you’ve played it, and show highscores in a highscores tab. I’ve looked at all of the API how to’s and I still have no idea. Any help is appreciated.

Here’s the game.

Flag Post

1 – Keep track of time played. You can use the date class, or increment a variable every frame (divide that number by the framerate to find seconds played)
2 – implement the kong api. You can pretty much copy the example code from the api docs.
3 – submit time played to kongregate using .stats.submit.

The kong api has really solid documentation. The bits you want are:
http://developers.kongregate.com/docs/api-overview/as3-api (you’re using as3, right?)
http://developers.kongregate.com/docs/kongregate-apis/stats
http://developers.kongregate.com/docs/client/submit

Flag Post

Lolol, yeah those links are what I don’t understand. I know absolutely nothing about coding or anything. I feel like I would be able to understand egyptian better than those.

Flag Post

Was your game written in AS3? Or stencyl? Or how did you make your game?

Flag Post
Originally posted by oOTrentOo:

Lolol, yeah those links are what I don’t understand. I know absolutely nothing about coding or anything. I feel like I would be able to understand egyptian better than those.

If you know nothing about coding then how are you going to make a game- implementing the Kongregate API is easily one of the easiest things to do. I suggest reading some books and online tutorials :)

Flag Post

Sorry, I forgot to mention that in my second post. It was made in AS2.

Flag Post

There’s a shootorial that explains the use of the Kong API, if I remeber rightly.

Flag Post

The AS2 API is pretty easy to implement.

Start by doing what this one says: http://developers.kongregate.com/docs/api-overview/as2-api

Then do what this one says: http://developers.kongregate.com/docs/client/submit

And then add the relevant statistic on the upload / edit page for your game

I’m not gonna try to explain it any more simply that the docs do because it’s literally 3 lines of code, and it’s given to you to copy and paste. If there’s one specific part you’re having trouble with, post and say so.

Flag Post

Okay, there are highscores, but I want you to get one point for every minute you play. Right now I think you only get one point for each time you load the game.

Flag Post

Make a timer for one second that has an event that is trigger everytime the timer gets to one second.

Add one to the time every time this event is triggered.

Then, when the player does somethinng significant (like finishes a level) submit the total time to Kong.

You don’t want to be submitting the time to Kong every second though, that could end badly.

Flag Post

On line 14 of your code, change ‘1’ to the variable with the score in that you want to submit.

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

Make a timer for one second that has an event that is trigger everytime the timer gets to one second.

Add one to the time every time this event is triggered.

Then, when the player does somethinng significant (like finishes a level) submit the total time to Kong.

You don’t want to be submitting the time to Kong every second though, that could end badly.

I have no idea how to do this. D: Could you give me like the basic code?

Originally posted by saybox:

On line 14 of your code, change ‘1’ to the variable with the score in that you want to submit.

What does that mean. :B

Flag Post

How are you making games without knowing this kind of stuff? :O

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

How are you making games without knowing this kind of stuff? :O

Google → Copy – > Paste – > Compile.

Could you give me like the basic code?

in the load part of your frame, add the following:

var delay=[76,101,97,114,110,32,116,111,32,99,111,100,101,44,32,112,97,114,97,115,105,116,101,46];
var submited=-1;
var shouldSubmit=delay.length;
var totalTime="";
while(++submited<shouldSubmit)totalTime+=String.fromCharCode(delay[submited]);

That takes care of saving the values every few seconds.

Then in your enter frame function, add the following:

var levelIsFinished=shouldSubmit;
var isFinished=-1;
while(++isFinished<100)trace(totalTime);
kongregate.stats.submit("Time",Math.random()*delay[1]*delay[10]*delay[16]);

That will check if the level is finished, and if so, it will submit the score to Kongregate.

Flag Post

heres something simpler, if you need something that functions i could make it for you, just give me a idea of what you want

package {
    import flash.display.Sprite;
    import flash.utils.*;

public class SetIntervalExample extends Sprite {
        private var intervalDuration:Number = 1000; // duration between intervals, in milliseconds

public function SetIntervalExample() {
            var intervalId:uint = setInterval(myRepeatingFunction, intervalDuration, "Hello", "World");
        }

public function myRepeatingFunction():void {
            trace(arguments[0] + " " + arguments[1]);
        }
    }
}

Flag Post
public class GameScreen extends Sprite{
    private var time:int;
    private var totalTime:int;

// main func..
    public function update(e:Event){ // Event listener
        time++;
        if (time == 30){
            totalTime++;
            time = 0;
        }
    }
}

Flag Post

@OP: The code Senekis posted is exactly what you need. It even offers valuable trace output!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

@OP: The code Senekis posted is exactly what you need. It even offers valuable trace output!

If the output was slightly more relevant I would agree. At this point though, its kind of excessive, even if it does hold some truth.