Windows 8 Thoughts page 3

58 posts

Flag Post

I too installed W8 three days ago having recently bought an SSD

Totally concur with the comments on start time – I have something ridiculous, hovering around the 10 second mark from pressing the power button

Unfortunately I came across an issue with the FD installation, with it complaining about not having .NET 4.0, when I had 4.5, which is likely incompatible

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated – for now, it’s back to W7

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dealmaster13:

I too installed W8 three days ago having recently bought an SSD

Totally concur with the comments on start time – I have something ridiculous, hovering around the 10 second mark from pressing the power button

Unfortunately I came across an issue with the FD installation, with it complaining about not having .NET 4.0, when I had 4.5, which is likely incompatible

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated – for now, it’s back to W7

I upgraded from Win7 to Win8 and didn’t have any problems. Maybe just try installing .NET 4.0 also?

Flag Post

Well, since I’ve guessed by now that buying OSs on launch is generally a bad idea, I think I’ll give it a miss.

Vista is still working fine, despite the slow startup. But, just press the power button, go do something, come back and viola!

But, the most important question is:
Does Microsoft Text-to-speech in Windows 8 have Microsoft Sam as the default voice?

Flag Post

Unfortunately I can’t install 4.0 because I already have 4.5 and should supposedly also have 4.0 because of it

I have 64-bit Professional and was under the impression that 4.5 is installed by default for W8

I’d try uninstalling 4.5 but I don’t think it’s possible for a start

Did you install FD straight after the OS?

Flag Post

.NET frameworks of different versions can live together on one PC, although they are somewhat redundant. For some reason MS made it so that if an application is written for .NET say 2.0, it won’t work on any higher version, but this can be compensated by installing 2.0 framework.

Flag Post

Two more thoughts:

Apparently IE10 metro mode is pretty neat. Also, apparently you can’t use it unless you make IE the default browser? What in the world?

Secondly, I fear Win8 will be too confusing for consumers. Metro apps don’t show up on the taskbar, but they show up when you use alt+tab. Metro apps also sometimes use odd mouse controls for major functionality which can be confusing. I like Win8, but the metro and desktop world grow a little confusing together. And shutting down your computer should be easier.

Flag Post

I saw the menu and now I am thinking about to use Linux instead of Windows!

Flag Post

Vista is still working fine, despite the slow startup. But, just press the power button, go do something, come back and viola!

Windows 8 is a small downgrade for you. Just a small one.

Blobby, MS is basing this off the whole idea that people who use desktops will buy one of their touch mice, so that they get hardware sales as well.