First time computer builder. page 3

88 posts

Flag Post

yes, the ports are right. Whether or not it’ll fit in the case depends on how long the card is.

Cables will be cheap, thinks I.

Flag Post
Originally posted by uzzbuzz:

Everything else is good though? Like the motherboard can fit the graphics card etc? I’m also not sure if I have to get some sata ribbon cables or if they come with the HDD.

I have yet to find a motherboard that doesn’t support all graphics cards these days. There used to be two kinds of plot (PCI, PICexpress, etc and AGP) but 99.9% of all graphics cards these days are PCIe, and all mother boards have PCIe slots, and most have an AGP slot.

Flag Post

True Draco, but I know that sometimes cases aren’t big enough to fit extremely big graphics cards.

Flag Post

Thanks,

Now all that’s left to do is to order the parts, and I should be able to figure out how to put it all together. Any recommendations for putting it together? I know that I should build it in my garage so that there’s no carpet. I also have an antistatic strap, but not a mat I don’t think.

Edit: Wow, same time post almost after 7 hours. Is the case I selected good for the motherboard? I know I should get the parts first and then get a case to fit them, but I seem to want that case because it looks like it’ll work.

Also, what is newegg’s policy on returns? Do they let you get a full refund if you somehow get a wrong part that doesn’t work?

Flag Post

Update: It’s coming along nicely now, going to connect all the sata cables, wifi card and such tomorrow. Maybe I can have it up and running tomorrow, if not, next weekend! :D

Flag Post

At the end, tell us:

• Your final list of parts, and their prices
  • Any problems you ran into
  • Total price
  • Total time spent

Obviously you don’t have to, but I think it would be interesting!

Flag Post

Well I can tell some of that information already, and I will post spec and setup images etc. afterwards:

Case – $120

Mobo – $205

Graphics Card – $500

PSU -$85

CPU – $320

RAM – $44

Hard Drive – $96

DVD Drive – $19

Windows 7 – $110

CPU Fan – $65

Subtotal – ~$1,565

Shipping and Taxes added around $300

Rebates and Instants took off $141

Total Cost: ~$1764

So far, I think I spent 2 hours building it, and I have only really had trouble with the Zalman Fan. Holy fuu that was hard to screw in.

Also, the Graphics Card came with AC1, AC2, AC Revelations, and Borderlands 2, so that cuts off some cost. (I would have only bought Borderlands 2 though probably, since I own AC2 for the box)

Flag Post

So far, I think I spent 2 hours building it, and I have only really had trouble with the Zalman Fan. Holy fuu that was hard to screw in.

Yeah, it’s intended to work with fuckeverything, and it’s a bit tricky to figure out which parts you need and how to put them together.

Flag Post
Also, the Graphics Card came with AC1, AC2, AC Revelations, and Borderlands 2

Add me on Steam yo.

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:
Also, the Graphics Card came with AC1, AC2, AC Revelations, and Borderlands 2

Add me on Steam yo.

Yeah sure, but I couldn’t find you when I searched, add me

Also, sad realization that the AC games are on disc…

Flag Post

Nice build! But you really overpaid for your processor. I don’t know know any advantages of a z77 motherboard over z68, but there are some.
You could’ve avoided shipping costs if you’d gotten parts from Microcenter.
That’s a really good fan by the way. It might work close to as well as liquid cooling, but that is one of the best fans I’ve ever seen. :) You should get some pretty lights for your pretty case!

Flag Post
Originally posted by lSWATLLAMA:

Nice build! But you really overpaid for your processor. I don’t know know any advantages of a z77 motherboard over z68, but there are some.
That’s a really good fan by the way. It might work close to as well as liquid cooling, but that is one of the best fans I’ve ever seen. :) You should get some pretty lights for your pretty case!

Thanks! I’ll keep those tips in mind for next time, after all, it is my fist time, so I was bound to not do this perfectly.
Where do you recommend checking out for lights, and do they go inside the case, or out? I was thinking blue lights since my computer will be glowing blue from all the fans :3

Update pic with the computer powered on possibly later tonight, if I’m not out all day, which I may be. I don’t think I’ll get it set up tonight, but you never know.

Current progress: Attached a few of the cables, and removed that black thing from the above picture since I don’t need it really. (I’ll hold onto it though) All that’s really left is screwing in the graphics card.

Flag Post

Thanks! I’ll keep those tips in mind for next time, after all, it is my fist time, so I was bound to not do this perfectly.
Where do you recommend checking out for lights, and do they go inside the case, or out? I was thinking blue lights since my computer will be glowing blue from all the fans :3

Update pic with the computer powered on possibly later tonight, if I’m not out all day, which I may be. I don’t think I’ll get it set up tonight, but you never know.

Current progress: Attached a few of the cables, and removed that black thing from the above picture since I don’t need it really. (I’ll hold onto it though) All that’s really left is screwing in the graphics card.

Blue lights are the most common- I would recommend green and blue alternating.

Flag Post

It’s a freaking awesome fan. :D

Be sure to clean it once in a while, as dust will settle on the vanes.

Flag Post

I don’t actually know anything about lights. My case has built in lighted fans that alternate with three modes and 3 colors. You can get lighted fans for intake on the outsides, and I believe that you can get neon strips, but not sure where to put them.

Flag Post

I may be a bit late to the party here, but I actually built my first PC a few months ago as well.
Specs:
Case = Refine r3 Black
CPU = Intel i3-2120
GFX = Radeon 6850
RAM = 16Gb
HDD = 2Tb
SDD = 240Gb
620w PSU
OS = Windows 7
DVD Drive

All in all, it took me about 2 hours to put the thing together, and another 30 minutes popping down my local shop to pick up some SATA cables as nothing came with any!

So far, I have played practically all my games on Steam on it on Max-Ultra high settings, despite not being the highest end CPU or GFX card, and I spent probably just under £420, or $670.

Best £420 spent ever.

EDIT: Also, I didnt bother buying a custom fan. I didnt really see the point. Even when playing on max settings on ArmA II or whatever, it barely hits 45C.

Flag Post

The lower temperature makes it last longer. I’m surprised your processor and graphics card don’t get hotter, seeing as they aren’t that powerful. Can you play Skyrim on full settings? I’ve heard that you need like, two GTX 690’s or 1 Quadro 6000.

Flag Post

On full settings without the HD texture pack, yeah. It runs perfectly fine, with maybe a pinch of delay every 30 minutes or so or when entering a populated area with lots of NPC’s or buildings or whatever.

I installed the Skyrim HD pack and found the game became quite laggy. It would be alright in less dense areas, however it would struggle quite a bit when nearing a city or if there were quite a few NPC’s knocking around, and especially if I were in any of the snowy areas in a snowstorm, it would really bottom out then.

Standard Vanilla Skyrim FPS: Around 60FPS most of the time, sometimes hitting low 50’s in dense areas.
Skyrim HD Texture FPS: Around 35-40FPS most of the time, hitting low 15-20’s in dense areas. Hits 10FPS in snowstorms.

As I type this, my CPU cores are at 27C and 26C respectively, which is pretty low as far as I am aware, considering I have Firefox, Steam, Photoshop and a few other smaller applications all open.

EDIT: Just to see how hot the CPU gets when playing on Skyrim (Vanilla, I removed HD pack), it hits around 52C when I run around in Whiterun for a few minutes.

EDIT2: Also, I am using a 2048×1536 monitor, so it would probably run faster on a smaller screen.

Flag Post

Your PC barely gets above room temperature without a fan? o..O

Flag Post

I know, I dont get it either. It has one of the stock Intel ones, but still, its quite cool!

Flag Post

Hasn’t been an update in a while. Sorry, I didn’t take a new picture of it running, that will come tomorrow hopefully. I hooked it all up in the garage and it boots up and all the drivers are updated, and I got the wifi card installed, although it cannot get connection in the garage. I am having trouble entering the bios for some reason though, even when pressing delete like it says.

Also, I had an epic fail moment… It took me forever to figure out why the standby light on the mobo was on but the psu fan and nothing else was running. I turned the switch on but I forgot to press the power button…

Flag Post

Make sure you’re pressing it right after the computer starts.

Are you using an USB keyboard?
If that’s the case, you may need an old one.

If not, try either holding the key, pressing it once or multiple times.

I doubt your computer is giving you the wrong key, but… if all else fails, try F1, F2, F3, F10, Tab or Ins.

Flag Post

I’ll try that tomorrow. I was using a ps2 to usb converter but I deattached that so now it’s just ps2.

I read somewhere (because I looked a whole bunch of stuff up because I don’t completely know what I’m doing) that sometimes the computer will not go into bios because it boots too fast. It did make it to the bios the first time I loaded it up, but never again. I only tried delete and F8 so far, so I’ll have to try the rest.

Only two of my case fans were running earlier, but I fixed it by setting them to medium power (they were on low).

Flag Post

I don’t know if newer motherboards even have support for PS/2.

Flag Post

Mine did. I am currently on it! Once I move it upstairs I will post the setup, although I never did get into the bios yet.