A Question about Flash and Other Languages

9 posts

Flag Post

Would it be possible to say Use flash to directly read and interpret commands from another language?

Flag Post
Originally posted by shubshub12:

Would it be possible to say Use flash to directly read and interpret commands from another language?

yes

Flag Post

So I could take gml and make a gml parser in flash if I wanted to?

Flag Post

If you can make a gml parser, you might as well make the actual game in flash. Its going to be very hard to do that.

Flag Post

yea but in the long run it would be easier

Flag Post

Are you sure? What are you attempting to do here exactly?

Flag Post

Am I Sure about what
Im asking if Its possible Im not attempting it yet

Flag Post
Originally posted by shubshub12:

Am I Sure about what
Im asking if Its possible Im not attempting it yet

Making a GML parser in Flash is plain dumb… unless you have the full documentation and implementation standard for GML, it’s not going to happen; even if you did, it would take at least a year. Keep in mind that GameMaker is not only a programming platform, it is a game engine in itself. You would have to program a game engine first.

Flag Post

Originally posted by qwerber:

Making a GML parser in Flash is plain dumb… unless you have the full documentation and implementation standard for GML, it’s not going to happen; even if you did, it would take at least a year. Keep in mind that GameMaker is not only a programming platform, it is a game engine in itself. You would have to program a game engine first.

this.

it’s not remotely easier in the long run to make a GML engine for flash: they’ve spent years making the GML engine, and you’re going to require a minimum of a year if you’re experienced, more if you’re not, and you must continue to update it as they add things; and if for whatever reason they do a full rewrite or include a new second engine for something else (flash has two engines: one for AS1/AS2 (flash < 9) and AS3 (flash >= 9)) you’re not going to have a head start and will need to take another full year to reimplement that.

for reference: adobe has an entire team of professional and well educated programmers, and it took them a little over a year to write the second FP engine based on the AS2 original, and they still don’t know what everything does (this is many, many years later)