Which error code do you hate most?

18 posts

Flag Post

What error code has pissed you off most during your flash developing? My answer is clear: 1034.

Flag Post

0xc0000005
Otherwise, nothing is unavoidable, and if an error occurs, go fix it.

Flag Post

I hate when flash is showing a wrong line number and some random error, mostly it is something like “expecting something at line 1” or it may say last line, but in reality error may be at any place in a flash document.

Flag Post

This is mostly caused by an unmatched leftbrace or rightbrace :) this is solvable with a better editor than what Flash provides.

Flag Post

I have no hatred for errors. If I get an error I know there’s a problem and I am provided a hint about what the problem is and how to fix it. When the code runs without error but doesn’t do what I expect it to do, that’s when I know I’m going to be staring at it for a looong time (usually to locate a misplaced ‘-’ sign, or some other error of the same sort.)

Flag Post

Yes, errors are our friends.

Flag Post

I’d have to say 3596.
Which is actually a warning, but it annoys the hell out of me.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BigJM:

Yes, errors are our friends.

As long as they aren’t logic errors, I must agree. Article on Error types if anyone wants to read.

Flag Post

As someone who switched from AS2 (let’s just fail everything silently for the lulz) to AS3 (ermahgerd! errorz!) I think I actually like errors. Better to have the compiler vomit up a bunch angry red than for it to just give you the used car salesman grin/wink as your project starts.

Actually wait, this one is annoying: Parameter initializer unknown or is not a compile-time constant. It only shows up on the first build attempt each time I start flashdevelop. Any subsequent builds for that session work just fine.

Flag Post

I’m not a fan of Error 1009. It is rather vague and only appears at runtime (I think).

Flag Post

Originally posted by feartehstickman:

I’m not a fan of Error 1009. It is rather vague and only appears at runtime (I think).

it’s not vague. you have a variable. you expected this variable to have a value at all times. that variable is null. your expectation was wrong; it is something you must address and correct.

Flag Post

No number: Error: Call to a possibly undefined method/property [name].

package stuff{public class Stuff{public function Stuff():void{}public function doStuff():void{}}}
Now in your Main: var stuff:Stuff=new Stuff;stuff.doStuff();

It’s not that annoying now that I’m aware of it, but it was a pain in the ass the first time I saw it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

Actually wait, this one is annoying: Parameter initializer unknown or is not a compile-time constant. It only shows up on the first build attempt each time I start flashdevelop. Any subsequent builds for that session work just fine.

Oh, I thought I was the only one FD does that to. Although the first-compile-attempt-of-the-day error I get is:

Error: null
Build halted with errors (fcsh).

Flag Post

Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

Oh, I thought I was the only one FD does that to. Although the first-compile-attempt-of-the-day error I get is:

i don’t think anyone knows what causes that

though, if you want annoying: a build that succeeds and produces a 0-byte SWF file. it occurs whenever the compiler’s process terminates and is restarted on the next build, then not told to build

Flag Post
Originally posted by skyboy:

Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

i don’t think anyone knows what causes that

though, if you want annoying: a build that succeeds and produces a 0-byte SWF file. it occurs whenever the compiler’s process terminates and is restarted on the next build, then not told to build

I’ve had Flash Pro do something similar. It would compile, finish, and never actually produce a swf. If I watch the output folder while it does this, it generates 2kb worth of swf, finishes, and then deletes the (incomplete?) file.

No errors of any kind are produced.

The only example I have is an iPad app that publishes (to an ipa) just fine, but I can’t do a ctrl-enter debug test.

Flag Post

Error: A Lua exception occurred.

Thanks compiler! I totally know where to look to fix that.

Flag Post

I know this is not flash but still ,I had to show it for the “shits and gigs”
In C++;
Error: Undefined function MONSTER
Possibilities are: MONSTER

Flag Post

New error to hate the most:

Warning: Filter will not render.  The DisplayObject's filtered dimensions (26843548, 20132662) are too large to be drawn.

I have not applied any filters to any object in code or otherwise.