One game a month page 3

146 posts

Flag Post

@DoctorMikeReddy on twitter. No probs linking my #1GAM profile. I’ve been meaning to post on Kong for ages. #1GAM, and all the goodwill here has encouraged me to commit to doing it finally.

Flag Post

Hey! I didn’t noticed that there was a #1gam “group” on Kongregate. I’m in!

@Drakulo

Flag Post

I reckon we should post screenshots and progress on here.

I’m working on a randomly generated survival shooter called Infinity. I’ve been working on it for over a year, so I think it’s about time I finished it.

Flag Post

Sky Jumper is going to be my first game, provided Mine Or Die doesn’t get finished up first. Simple sleek jumper game with upgrades. Obviously the upgrade menu looks a bit funky, but that is just some debugging overlays so I can see where my mouse events are handled and the sizes of textfields.

Flag Post

I heard about one game a month from this post, and am using it as a reason to finish up this little Pachinko game I’ve been working on.

Edit: Yes please add me Aaants :) 1GAM Profile Twitter @PixelRyan

Flag Post

Looking good guys. Do you want adding to the list Monstruba?

I’m redesigning and fully completing my GiTD game for 1GAM but I’m going to test the sponsorship water with it, so it certainly won’t be my January entry. I’ll have to make something small (and probably a bit rubbish, but never mind) for January

Flag Post

If i uploaded a game in late December, can that count for the game in January? Also, do stencyl games count?

Flag Post

Stencyl games certainly count. As for your other question, the ‘rules’ are a bit slack on that one. It’s not a competition, so it’s not like you’re cheating anyone else by doing it, plus plenty of games that are submitted will have been in progress before January (mine included). Maybe you should re-release it in a week or so with some updates. You won’t be kicked out for linking it as your January game or anything like that – but you might as well use the rest of the month to improve it!

Flag Post

You can have groups on Kong now?

Flag Post

So do i just comment every month and post a link to the game? (like this)?
January: http://www.kongregate.com/games/lavaflame2/duo-dodge

Flag Post

Pretty much – or just DM or tweet it at me if you prefer. I’ll add your links and game if you post your 1GAM details.

Bob, I have no idea O_o

Just to add, there’s a Mini Ludum Dare with the theme of ‘Hindsight’ running at the moment. Could be useful for anyone looking for some extra motivation.

Flag Post

Count me in too! http://www.onegameamonth.com/chjolo

Flag Post

I join a month ago so put me in http://www.onegameamonth.com/OatsFlashGames, I want be able to post a game for a while tho. Laptop is screwed :(

Flag Post

Wait… what if you make a game, then spend each month updating it (like, instead of spending 20 hours making a new game every month, you spend 20 hours updating one game every month)?
Or is this only for people who want to make 12 individual games this year

Flag Post

Well, the requirement is that your game is finished and playable, so my gut says no, you can’t do that. Then again, the whole point of 1GAM is that there are no rules as such, so if every iteration you submit is a complete game, you might be ok. My suggestion would be that if you desperately want to work on the same type of game all year, you should make sequels instead of updating the same one.

Added chjolo and oatlol to the list.

Big congrats to StormAlligator for being reviewed by Jay is Games

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aaants:

Well, the requirement is that your game is finished and playable, […]

Finished? SFX and everything? I’m not sure there will ever be a point at which my to-do list on a game will be entirely completed… There’s always something extra I’d like to add or improve.

Well, anyway, I had intended on publishing my last-minute change-over game that I had planned for the last GiTD, but I’ve been in thrash mode for the last two weeks (moreso than usual), so I still don’t have it ready. I spend a lot of time looking at the screen but not actually doing anything productive. So I’ll do what I was going to do two weeks ago and post a couple of screenshots:

For your viewing (dis)interest, I present Spinner or Die

Just a simple board/dice game, nothing spectacular. As of now, the board layout is static, but space modifiers (“D” for “Draw a card”, “+” for “extra turn”, and the numbers on the Skid, Ditch, and Security spaces (light blue, brown, and the blue octagon with the hand, respectively)) are randomized at the start of a game.

Long-winded description/explanation:
Basically, you can choose a standard die (1-6) or a spinner (3-8, but also has a “lose turn” and a “-1 space, spin again”) to move. To traverse over the Skid spaces, you have to be moving at or less than the number depicted, or you’ll get sent in the skid direction (usually into a Ditch). To get out of a Ditch, you have to roll/spin the number depicted or above (though you’ll only move out of the ditch and the turn will end). Everyone must stop at the Stop and Security spaces (their turn ends there, regardless of how much further their spin/roll would’ve taken them), and to move through the Security space, the number depicted must be rolled/spun before their turn can begin (loss of turn otherwise). There is no passing allowed on the Bridge spaces (the yellowish squares with the red posts at the corners), so if there is another player there and you try going over, you’ll stop on the same space. Stopping on the same space as another player will start an “encounter”, where those players spin/roll for a higher number, the loser being moved backward.

Not sure if it is even worth spending time on, and I really should work on the Player.IO project (not that I have a snowball’s chance in hell of getting anywhere near cracking the top ten), so I’ll leave it here for your comments (should any of you care to leave any) until some undetermined date in the future.

Aaaaand since I’m here, I’ll post some screenshots of a Java midlet game I’m porting to Flash (and, probably absurdly, is the basis for my Player.IO project):

Battle Pyramids — basically a multiplayer version of the old Pyramid solitaire game, with some extra stuff thrown in (the Player.IO version will be expanded considerably, but this is the core idea I’m building it around).

…and a Java game that I will theoretically someday port to Flash:

Dragonking’s War — a puzzle(-ish) game where the object is to reveal the picture underneath the board by laying down matching tiles as you move.
(that screenshot is actually missing the power-up/ability bar at the bottom. My hard drive died after getting it completed (sans decent art, cutscenes, music, and other embellishments), and the version I have must be an earlier build. I should probably note that this was made several years ago.)

Flag Post

Whee! I’m in, and I’ve done my first game: The Case of the Mysteriously Missing Hat !

On one game a month & twitter I’m jezzamonn.
http://www.onegameamonth.com/jezzamonn
https://twitter.com/jezzamonn

Flag Post

Awesome game Jezzamon :)

Originally posted by dragon_of_celts:

Well, the requirement is that your game is finished and playable, […]

Finished? SFX and everything?

I suppose it depends on your interpretation of ‘finished’. I remember reading that the main thing is that you don’t post placeholders, prototypes and so on. If you deem your game finished without SFX, I’d say just post it. What you have already looks promising :D

Flag Post

I suppose it depends on your interpretation of ‘finished’.

For Spinner or Die, if I bother getting it to a (bug-free) playable state, I probably won’t touch it again unless all my other projects are completed (which is roughly the equivalent of saying “when hell freezes over”), so in that sense it will be “finished”. However, the TODO list would still have things in it, such as *) enable multiplayer, *) add sfx/music, *) make a better computer opponent (etc), so in that sense it would not be “finished”.

I could just make a “sequel” with whatever is left in my TODO list after a game’s initial publishing, but that doesn’t sit well with me (unless there is enough difference to really warrant it — and there appears to be enough interest), so I’m going to have to go with “finished” == “reasonably close to the game I envisioned, playable, and published”.

I remember reading that the main thing is that you don’t post placeholders, prototypes and so on.

That’s a far cry from “finished”, in my book.

What you have already looks promising :D

Wait — are you refering to Spinner or Die? It doesn’t seem a bit dull to you?

Flag Post

Just a few days left. I’m in the middle of the mining game (Mine or Die from GiTD #28), Sky Jumpers (shown in picture above) and porting Zen Sudoku to Android. School starts tomorrow. The real question is “does porting a game I made in November/December count?” or do I have to finish up Sky Jumpers/Mine or Die. D:

Flag Post
Originally posted by dragon_of_celts:

Wait — are you refering to Spinner or Die? It doesn’t seem a bit dull to you?

I can’t comment on the gameplay but it looks like old PC games that got me into gaming in the first place, which is all good in my book.

@UG I’d like to do a porting month at some point in the year, so I certainly hope they count (I can’t see why they wouldn’t!). I haven’t read anything specific on it though.

Flag Post

It’s really cool that people are actually doing this, perhaps if this is still going when I finish school I’ll sign up.

Flag Post

I’ve done a whip through your accounts and added any games I saw. See dragon_of_celts’ post 2 below this for deadline adjustments!

Flag Post

Of course I waited till the last day to finish my January game ! I admit my first few games will not be that great but I learned a lot and am really looking forward to patching this one based on feedback and starting on my next few games.

Flag Post

Apparently McFunkypants has added a 4-day grace period for late submissions (a one off for January it seems) so you can delay submitting for a while if you so choose!

Actually, the site says “There is NO deadline for month one: January games can be submitted all the way to the end of February.” (!) It says that subsequent deadlines have a 96-hour grace period (i.e., every month from February onward).

Good thing I didn’t see that until now. I’ve changed my January 1GaM game about five times now, finally settled on something (earlier today!), which I was going to work on up to the proverbial wire… Now I’ll get some rest and release it a day or two (un-)late, (marginally) more complete.

It’s just as well, though; my year doesn’t start until Groundhog Day.