Spreading a Game (locked)

16 posts

Flag Post

Well I was going to PM you about it, but might as well say it here. Spreading the links on Kong is a good idea but a bad one. You are only going to get Kongregate’s users and only those that visit the forums and those specific forums. Its also super spammy. To the point where your posts might get removed or your threads getting locked.

You should put your game up for distribution on the web, using a variety of distribution services such as Playtomic, FGD, MochiMedia, and Talk Arcades. However, no matter how many distribution services you use, your game will only get as many views as it is good. If you don’t have a great game, it won’t perform well. If you score a 2/5 or less on Mochi, you can expect next to no traffic. If you don’t get accepted with the quality standards Talk Arcades won’t do you any good.

Kongregate and Newgrounds themselves also serve as distribution points. However, just like with the distribution services, if you don’t get a high rating on Kongregate or NG, it won’t help you at all.

Flag Post

I recommend MochiMedia, I can google my games and find them on hundreds on game sites all over the world, and I only uploaded it to Mochi and Kong. Plus, they have their own in-game ad service, which is really simple. Granted, I’ve made about $10 in almost two years, but it’s better than nothing. :P

Flag Post

I’m gonna go above and beyond. I suggest MochiMedia and FGD because their the easy processors for getting the name out. They’re very easy for developers to get their profits and yes. They’ll grant your wish ;)

Flag Post
How not to advertise your game:

Flag Post
Originally posted by lavaflame2:

I just made a new game, and I want a way to ‘advertise’

(Yes, I do realize that I am sorta-advertising my game right here, but thats not the reason for this post)

Yea, right that’s not why you’re spamming posting here. But whatever. One way to legitimately get your link out there, is to put it in your signature and then be an active helpful participant in the forums. Rather than just spamming “hey guys I made a game here, how should i advertise it, not that I’m trying to advertise it now” everywhere.

Since Kong doesn’t have signatures, this means you’d want to do this on other forums (where you are an active contributing participant). Then people will think “wow what a great helpful guy. Oh, there’s a link to his game in his signature. I bet that’s interesting. Let’s have a look!”

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mad_Machine:
Since Kong doesn’t have signatures, this means you’d want to do this on other forums (where you are an active contributing participant). Then people will think “wow what a great helpful guy. Oh, there’s a link to his game in his signature. I bet that’s interesting. Let’s have a look!”

Maybe signatures is something Kong should think about…

Flag Post
Originally posted by IceWeaselX:
How not to advertise your game:
lol :/

Flag Post
Originally posted by DrYoshiyahu:
Originally posted by Mad_Machine:

Maybe signatures is something Kong should think about…

Totally!

SENEKIS
PLAY MY GAMES!

Flag Post

I’m beating Senekis at Hexic HD. This is my proudest moment.

In all seriousness, sigs do get annoying. You can have drop down sigs, which aren’t visible unless clicked, but that means that there is a very low chance of anyone noticing anything in your sig. I can’t really come up with any perfect solution.
No sigs: no clutter, but noone sees your stuff
Drop down sigs: no clutter, but next to noone sees your stuff
Full sigs: everyone sees your stuff, but pages are 3 times longer than they should be because of all the clutter
Limiting sig size could help to aleviate the problem, to an extent.

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

I like the current size limitation just fine. Zero is the perfect sig length.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

I like the current size limitation just fine. Zero is the perfect sig length.

Just be one of the cool kids who posts a sig after everything they say…

© Feartehstickman, 28/12/2012

Flag Post

Apparently lavaflame2 is not heeding the advice people have given him in this thread. Makes it seem like it was just a spammy attention grab for his games rather than an actual attempt to learn how to get unobtrusive exposure.

Flag Post

So wouldn’t he do better if he was linked here? What if he forgot all about this thread and only the programming regulars see your complaints. It doesn’t help the situation at all. :/

Flag Post

/shrug

Most people seeking help don’t forget about their threads 3 days after starting them.

Flag Post

If they want help no, but after you called him out on his bull I doubt the OP will be back here.

Edit: \/\/ I stand corrected.

Flag Post

He’s posted 40 times since uploading his games, and out of those 40 posts, 22 contain links to his games, and 6 more are discussion about them without a link. I think the suggestion that he’s only posting to advertise is entirely justified.