Text into infinity

12 posts

Flag Post

In the intro movie for my game, I need to have some text marching into infinity. Kinda like the into for star wars. But, I don’t know how to make it look right. I have the publish settings for as2, so no 3d rotation. Could someone tell me how to do this?

Flag Post

I have no code to offer, but seems to me that you simply need to scroll it up while making the text more compressed the further from the bottom it goes, and make it fade out to nothing once close to the top, at least that’s how it looks like in the movies to me.

Flag Post

I think you can use DispaymentMapFilter in this case. Read on it, can’t help you sorry.

Flag Post

This is actually quite difficult, since AS2 has no function to do that. The displacement mapping won’t work, because it has a maximum offset and is very difficult to code with. You could ether:
-Create a new mc for every line of text, and scale them accordingly. The problem with this is that large fonts, such as the Star Wars logo will look odd.
-Create a bitmapdata with all the text in it, and create a second with the stuff that has to be displayed, and update that one every frame. This is more difficult than the previous approach, and it might be quite slow.

Check out this kirupa guide on creating 3D in AS2

There just isn’t an easy way to create perspective (3D) in AS2, especially with textures involved, so switch to AS3 if you can.

Flag Post

Hmm, how about animating it manually in flash?

Flag Post

I would imagine that some of the psuedo-3D stuff in AS3 would make it relatively easy to do (rotationX, rotationY, rotationZ, etc.). Haven’t tried though, so not certain.

Flag Post

This is actually surprisingly hard. You should be able to do it by assigning depth values to things based on their Y and then use a transform matrix to taper it, but you can’t get at the appropriate elements in AS2.

If you possibly can, make the jump to AS3. It is much, much better in lots of ways, and it just happens to make this pretty trivial (apply a rotationX to the container with the text in).

Flag Post

You could simply make it in AS3, the copy all the frames of the animation into AS2. Could increase your file size by a bit though.

Flag Post

In AS3 you can scew movieclips with matrixes (matrices?), which makes it a lot easier.

Originally posted by feartehstickman:

You could simply make it in AS3, the copy all the frames of the animation into AS2. Could increase your file size by a bit though.

Do you mean pre-rendering it as an flv movie?

Flag Post

You can skew in As2 as well.
The difference is that As3 has 4×4 matrices, which allow perspective distortion.

The free transform tool in older versions of the Flash IDE already had the ability to perspectively distort.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NineFiveThree:

You can skew in As2 as well.
The difference is that As3 has 4×4 matrices, which allow perspective distortion.

The free transform tool in older versions of the Flash IDE already had the ability to perspectively distort.

If so, you could just use timeline tweening in Flash CS. There are plenty of guides on how to do that on the internet.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JohnnyBohnny:

In AS3 you can scew movieclips with matrixes (matrices?), which makes it a lot easier.

Originally posted by feartehstickman:

Do you mean pre-rendering it as an flv movie?

That would probably be easiest, if you don’t care about an increase in file size.