GiTD [#29] Voting page 2

62 posts

Flag Post

BobJanova: Well, strategy and rpg games are my favorites, I liked this game very much! Although I’m not noob at strategy it wasn’t that easy, if I build lights nearby bases, enemy would cut off power supply and still destroy me, so I must build lights to protect power supply lines too. It was interesting, I have just a very few minor reports. Selected tile should have some indication that it is selected, and of course after if player is going back to menu you should reset time skipping speed, oh and I want a better “close menu” button, something that’s easier to hit.

Gengii: Somehow your game reminded me one of the most mythical game I have ever had “The longest journey” (If you haven’t played it, I greatly recommend it)

Hmm perhaps, because of all these philosophical concepts, I must say, I really really like these themes. But there were many bugs, like getting stuck in market and then having to reload the page.

feartehstickman: Ahh, I played your first version and in it animals were spawning automatically, and this time I killed this only 1 animal, and after this event my people were doomed to starve:) Well, yes this game needs more strategic elements, maybe you should make trees grow slower so that player should measure how many can he cut.

Aceeri: Your game needs explanation about what is exact benefit from upgrading mines, and it also needs timer to know when the night is coming. And a huge suggestion:
Do not make instructions like that, a wall of text is the worst scenario for instructions. You need to work on this game, and you can make it pretty good.

I give 1st place to BobJanova, it is a clear winner.
2nd. place goes to Gengii, feartehstickman’s game was very close 2nd place too, but the fact that Gengii’s game had a storyline made it easier for me to decide.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:
Why in the name of mighty Thor is my army of people running back and forth to the furthest cow when it’d be easier to just…move the corpse?

I just so happened to put a > where there should have been a < :/ This completely destroyed my peoples’ ability to get things close to them.

Flag Post

Ok, so this months topic just didn’t catch me but I can still rate the games.

Sadly, there is a clear winner this time around as only one of the games is really a game at this point and that would be BobJanova’s game. I actually finished all four maps, though only one of them actually had a challenge to it (3rd map, the twisty path one). I meant to take a screen shot of it but I forgot and the game doesn’t save right now (but it doesn’t make you do maps in order so that’s not very important).

It was far harder to decide which one of the other three would be my second choice and I see at least one other person chose to not even give a second choice. In the end I ended up going with feartehstickman for it.

Fear’s game was the least like a game of the three yet it was the one that actually provided the most interest for me as I spent a bunch of time replaying and trying to see if I could even lose the game. I eventually succeeded when I managed to wipe out the only tree before another one spawned. This meant I was able to catch up on the stone & animals to the point where my entire town stopped working. I could force them back to work by turning it night and back to day but unless I did that they all just stood there.

Gengii, your game had the most appeal to me of the three as I could see very interesting things being done with the pseudo time-travel concept but when I was barely into the game and it locked up on a choice I couldn’t bring myself to redo the whole opening. Making keyboard controls for your game but not allowing keyboard to go through the menus/continue the story was horrid. Heck, making it so you had to click only that small little box to continue was a terrible choice.

Aceeri, I’m not even sure what to say about your game. There’s an extreme lack of information about what anything does. You can’t see that time is passing and night is approaching. Night finally arrives and your army just stands there with nothing going on leading you to think it’s crashed until it suddenly goes back to day time (I won the fight). The next night I at least got to watch the much stronger foes kill my three different squads off yet I still survived the night. The game might have some promise but as of right now it’s more a very rough alpha.

I’ve got more detailed thoughts about my two choices but that will have to wait until after I get some sleep.

For the record: Night time in fears game actually kind of serves a purpose, though it’s not very obvious. Your animals that roam freely will not reproduce during the daytime. At night time they will reproduce and the herd starts doubling in size quite quickly. I only knew about this as that was the only way to not lose instantly on the first version posted, though there they also reproduced during the day. This isn’t terribly useful in the current version as once you have 100 Wood you get the penned animal that will reproduce all the time and never get used up. This makes is so you can’t possibly lose just from turning it on and letting your only animal get killed. No matter what you will always have just enough wood to make a single animal spawner.

1st BobJanova
2nd feartehstickman

Flag Post
Originally posted by Solsund:

Ok, so this months topic just didn’t catch me but I can still rate the games.

Sadly, there is a clear winner this time around as only one of the games is really a game at this point and that would be BobJanova’s game. I actually finished all four maps, though only one of them actually had a challenge to it (3rd map, the twisty path one). I meant to take a screen shot of it but I forgot and the game doesn’t save right now (but it doesn’t make you do maps in order so that’s not very important).

It was far harder to decide which one of the other three would be my second choice and I see at least one other person chose to not even give a second choice. In the end I ended up going with feartehstickman for it.

Fear’s game was the least like a game of the three yet it was the one that actually provided the most interest for me as I spent a bunch of time replaying and trying to see if I could even lose the game. I eventually succeeded when I managed to wipe out the only tree before another one spawned. This meant I was able to catch up on the stone & animals to the point where my entire town stopped working. I could force them back to work by turning it night and back to day but unless I did that they all just stood there.

Gengii, your game had the most appeal to me of the three as I could see very interesting things being done with the pseudo time-travel concept but when I was barely into the game and it locked up on a choice I couldn’t bring myself to redo the whole opening. Making keyboard controls for your game but not allowing keyboard to go through the menus/continue the story was horrid. Heck, making it so you had to click only that small little box to continue was a terrible choice.

Aceeri, I’m not even sure what to say about your game. There’s an extreme lack of information about what anything does. You can’t see that time is passing and night is approaching. Night finally arrives and your army just stands there with nothing going on leading you to think it’s crashed until it suddenly goes back to day time (I won the fight). The next night I at least got to watch the much stronger foes kill my three different squads off yet I still survived the night. The game might have some promise but as of right now it’s more a very rough alpha.

I’ve got more detailed thoughts about my two choices but that will have to wait until after I get some sleep.

For the record: Night time in fears game actually kind of serves a purpose, though it’s not very obvious. Your animals that roam freely will not reproduce during the daytime. At night time they will reproduce and the herd starts doubling in size quite quickly. I only knew about this as that was the only way to not lose instantly on the first version posted, though there they also reproduced during the day. This isn’t terribly useful in the current version as once you have 100 Wood you get the penned animal that will reproduce all the time and never get used up. This makes is so you can’t possibly lose just from turning it on and letting your only animal get killed. No matter what you will always have just enough wood to make a single animal spawner.

1st BobJanova
2nd feartehstickman

I’m sorry that my game didn’t interest you. The problem was that I started late and to add what you all said wouldve taken a couple more days. I was planning on a countdown timer, an explanation of buildings (popup like the costs over the upgrade button) and to have the fight more obviously won (Having the troops removed or something). So I respect your opinion along with all the other people who commented on my game, and thank you for not just leaving it at “Your game sucks” as some people do. I have been working on the game over the voting period and hopefully I will have the new version out soon.

Flag Post

Solsund, you can click anywhere on the text box to advance the dialog. If this isn’t true in your case could you post some browser/OS details?

Anyone mentioning that all the test isn’t all there can you post a screenshot? I’m certain the fonts were embedded.

AMD_Paulius_J, Yes! I’ve played that game and the sequel, I still have a screenshot of the man holding the chain. Beautiful stuff. I like the dialog system in that game, not sure if it’s been an influence however. I’d like to recommend back Planescape:Torment. Roll a character with high INT and WIS. I swear it’s changed the way I think and who I am.

Sorry everyone for the game breaking bugs. It was put together in only 5 days. I didn’t have any graphics till the final day. the clock was at 2 hours remaining and I didn’t even have the NPC class… A graphical intro would be a good addition, but I’ve already changed it. What makes it a ‘bad day’ doesn’t need to be said. The player will experience it all soon enough as the story develops. Which includes why everything rotates. Though, if you run around the world once and speak with the man next to the clock, he should tell you.

Flag Post

AMD_Paulius_J, Yes! I’ve played that game and the sequel, I still have a screenshot of the man holding the chain. Beautiful stuff. I like the dialog system in that game, not sure if it’s been an influence however. I’d like to recommend back Planescape:Torment. Roll a character with high INT and WIS. I swear it’s changed the way I think and who I am.

Oh my, how didn’t I know about such a game, it looks very similar to Icewind Dale, thanks for sharing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gengii:

Anyone mentioning that all the test isn’t all there can you post a screenshot? I’m certain the fonts were embedded.

Here you go

Flag Post

shortly* aww such fail… Thanks for the screenshot.

AMD_Paulius_J several big names made both of those games as well as Wasteland, and the Fallout series. Hope you’re not developing anything at the moment. That game has ton’s of content! Enjoy~

Flag Post

Solsund, you can click anywhere on the text box to advance the dialog. If this isn’t true in your case could you post some browser/OS details?

Ah, it turns out it does. I see why I got confused. It will not let you skip the text posting when clicking and because the text gets cut off as Curious posted above it appears that the text is done before it really is. It will not accept clicks until the arrow/box shows up.

When I played I would try clicking after the text ran out but before the box showed up and nothing would happen. Then I tried clicking the little box and it worked. I still do not get why you wouldn’t make it click anywhere or make the space bar work too.

Flag Post

Here’s another idea—if the user clicks before the text is finished being written, have it instantly finish. The second click would, of course, advance to the next page like normal. That plus a skip button to bypass the entire dialog sequence would leave few people with anything (legitimate) to complain about.

Flag Post

AMD_Paulius_J several big names made both of those games as well as Wasteland, and the Fallout series. Hope you’re not developing anything at the moment. That game has ton’s of content! Enjoy~

Well, when one knows how to manage time. games, development and work are easily compatible:)

Flag Post

Night and Day (GitD Edition) by BobJanova – This is the most complete game in the current GitD, but given that there are only four entries, that really isn’t saying much. The game is too dry for my taste. It needs music and better graphics to set the mood. Also, the game may be improved by providing players a better sense of the situation. Why are there monsters that come out at night? What sort of world is this? Who are these player-controlled beings that try to light up the night? Are they human? If so, how did they wind up in a world where fearsome creatures roam at night?

Today is Forever by Gengii – The graphics are very nice, but the conversation bug with the girl at the store is a showstopper.

Day/Night v3 by Feartehstickman – Why does the player have the power to determine day and night? It’s tempting to call this power godlike, except that not even the gods have the power to change the length of consecutive days on a whim. This game does not have any stated objectives, so it seems to be a sandbox kind of game. People who play those kinds of games such as The Sims enjoy being able to manipulate game objects in many ways to get different outcomes, but the possible outcomes in Day/Night v 3 are much too limited to have any lasting appeal.

Coming Night by Aceeri – The wall of text that confronts players when they try to read the instructions are a disturbing taste of things to come. Although the game does have graphics, they may as well be non-existent because the gameplay is text-based at its heart. Losing battles doesn’t seem to take players out of the game, so I can’t help but wonder what the point is in investing in troops. When night does come, it’s no fun to stare at the screen, waiting for the dawn. Underneath all these problems is a game that may benefit from further development, but whether it will be engaging depends on what direction its developer takes it.

1st place – Night and Day (GitD Edition) by BobJanova
2nd place – Day/Night v3 by Feartehstickman

Flag Post

D: Just a few short hours remain! Get your votes in, if you haven’t already!

Flag Post

Thanks Aesica & Solsund. I’ll implement a 2nd click to skip the typing effect. And the option to press space instead of click. I suppose I could go the PC RPG route and have 1,2,3, key’s for dialog responses as well. I don’t want to implement a (Skip) button because the game is story based. I did shorten the intro dramatically. I hope no one still feels the urge to skip.

Sorry, to clutter your thread UG, and grats to the winner/runner up.

Maybe the next GiTD could be advertised in:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/
&/or
http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/

Flag Post

&/or

Most certainly. Anyone is welcome to post to the contest anywhere. The more people participating the more awesome it will be.

Flag Post

Congrats to BobJanova for winning GiTD #29 with Night and Day and feartehstickman with [GiTD29]Day/Night v3 for coming in second place!

I can’t believe games with such terrible names would win!

BobJanova – Night and Day (GitD Edition)|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gengii – Today Is Forever 		|xxxxxxxx
feartehstickman – [GiTD29]Day/Night v3 	|xxxxxxxxxxxx
Aceeri – Coming Night			|xxxxxxxx

EDIT Mass spam delivered.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Elyzius:

Night and Day (GitD Edition) by BobJanova – This is the most complete game in the current GitD, but given that there are only four entries, that really isn’t saying much. The game is too dry for my taste. It needs music and better graphics to set the mood. Also, the game may be improved by providing players a better sense of the situation. Why are there monsters that come out at night? What sort of world is this? Who are these player-controlled beings that try to light up the night? Are they human? If so, how did they wind up in a world where fearsome creatures roam at night?

Today is Forever by Gengii – The graphics are very nice, but the conversation bug with the girl at the store is a showstopper.

Day/Night v3 by Feartehstickman – Why does the player have the power to determine day and night? It’s tempting to call this power godlike, except that not even the gods have the power to change the length of consecutive days on a whim. This game does not have any stated objectives, so it seems to be a sandbox kind of game. People who play those kinds of games such as The Sims enjoy being able to manipulate game objects in many ways to get different outcomes, but the possible outcomes in Day/Night v 3 are much too limited to have any lasting appeal.

Coming Night by Aceeri – The wall of text that confronts players when they try to read the instructions are a disturbing taste of things to come. Although the game does have graphics, they may as well be non-existent because the gameplay is text-based at its heart. Losing battles doesn’t seem to take players out of the game, so I can’t help but wonder what the point is in investing in troops. When night does come, it’s no fun to stare at the screen, waiting for the dawn. Underneath all these problems is a game that may benefit from further development, but whether it will be engaging depends on what direction its developer takes it.

1st place – Night and Day (GitD Edition) by BobJanova
2nd place – Day/Night v3 by Feartehstickman

I can’t help but notice all your problems are with graphics except for the guy with a team of programmer & artist…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aceeri:

I can’t help but notice all your problems are with graphics except for the guy with a team of programmer & artist…

Not really. I mentioned graphics in the case of BobJanova because there was nothing in his programming that needed improvement as far as I could tell. His was the only game where I quibbled about the quality of the graphics because that was where the greatest improvement could be made.

In the case of Feartehstickman, I didn’t even mention graphics at all. All my comments regarding his game were related to how the game itself was designed.

I assume that when you mentioned “the guy with a team of programmer & artist,” you were referring to Gengii. I have absolutely no complaint with the graphics of his game. It was with the programming where the game’s most obvious issues lay. I might have been able to offer more feedback on it if it weren’t for its showstopping bug early on.

As for your game, I only mentioned graphics because they didn’t provide any important information that could not have been gleaned from the text. I didn’t mention the quality of the graphics because that was not where your game could have improved on the most if you were pressed for time. To be honest, my choice for 2nd place was a tough call between your game and Feartehstickman’s. In the end, I chose Fear’s because his game had fewer design issues. Between your game and Fear’s however, I think your game has the potential to be the better one if both were to be developed to their fullest. (No offense, Feartehstickman, but I’m not too fond of sandbox-type games.)

Flag Post

Thanks Aesica & Solsund. I’ll implement a 2nd click to skip the typing effect. And the option to press space instead of click. I suppose I could go the PC RPG route and have 1,2,3, key’s for dialog responses as well. I don’t want to implement a (Skip) button because the game is story based. I did shorten the intro dramatically. I hope no one still feels the urge to skip.

Sorry, to clutter your thread UG, and grats to the winner/runner up.

&/or

Instead of having several different keys advance through dialog, why not implement a user-definable keybinding system? Personally, I’d probably set it to Z, while a wasd player might prefer j, k, or l, and of course there’s the 1, 2, and 3 you mentioned as well. Different people like different keys, and customizable keybinding makes everyone happy.

Flag Post

Keybinding could be an option. Let me clarify a bit. I think I was too brief explaining. Some dialog’s will have up to 10 responses. the 1,2,3~0 key’s would allow you to select your dialog response from the keyboard rather then selecting with the mouse. Many RPG’s use this method and number the responses. That’s what I’m aiming for. My thought is just to make it possible to play entirely from the keyboard. Laptop’s rejoice! Here’s the list so far:

W,A,S,D or Arrows to move. Up and Down will be to enter/exit buildings.
Space or LeftMouse to advance/end dialog
1,2,3,etc or LeftMouse to select your response
[I] or right click to bring up your [I]nventory. Possibly an icon in one of the corners as well.
[P] to use your cell[P]hone from the inventory or mouse click.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

Congrats to BobJanova for winning GiTD #29 with Night and Day and feartehstickman with [GiTD29]Day/Night v3 for coming in second place!

I can’t believe games with such terrible names would win!

BobJanova – Night and Day (GitD Edition)|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gengii – Today Is Forever 		|xxxxxxxx
feartehstickman – [GiTD29]Day/Night v3 	|xxxxxxxxxxxx
Aceeri – Coming Night			|xxxxxxxx

EDIT Mass spam delivered.

I actually got a vote this time so I guess that’s an improvement. GG BobJanova.

Hopefully the next GiTD will have more entries though.

Flag Post

Congrats BobJanova!

Flag Post

Yay!

I’m planning to take this game on to a proper full-content one. Thanks for all the feedback in this thread, I’ll be taking that on board (particularly the comments about the tutorial not pausing).

@Elyzius: I think you are being very ambitious for what you expect in a 10 day contest if you want music, backstory and finished graphics!

@UG: ‘Night and Day’ isn’t that terrible a name, is it? I could call it ‘Nightfall’ as a nod to Asimov’s first short story which I read over Christmas, I suppose.

Flag Post

Ha! I meant terrible as in “incredibly creative”. ;) Call if what you want, though. It isn’t a bad name.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobJanova:

@Elyzius: I think you are being very ambitious for what you expect in a 10 day contest if you want music, backstory and finished graphics!

Ambitious, yes, but not impossible. AMD_Paulius_J did it in the previous GitD.

The only way we’ll know what we’re capable of is if we aim high. Most likely, we’ll fall short of the mark, but we’ll surely learn some new skills or improve old ones in the process. If we keep at it, we may actually hit our target. One thing’s for sure: We’ll never hit the moon if we only aim for the trees.

Anyhow, that’s my personal approach to things. I understand if other people choose not to abide by this approach, but that’s life. To each his own.

Congrats on winning the GitD.