Flash 4k competition page 2

63 posts

Flag Post

LOL just realised:All entries are due by 8:00 AM PST, March 9th, 2009. :meh:

Same here =/

Flag Post

We should have totally have like just little contest here.

Flag Post

would the games be uploaded to kong, or the swifs (or source) just be made available for download? Ill make a thread if everyone thinks its a good aidea (and someone else doesnt beat me to it)

Flag Post

thats actually a great idea.
I would think that one of the rules should be that everyone has to start from scratch; there should be no entering games that you have been working on for the past 5 months. That just makes it unfair.

Flag Post

Yes, that would be one of the criterea. albeit, if someone had been working on a game for 5 months, i dpubt it eould be small enough.

Flag Post

yeah, i might get in on this if i can think of a good enough idea…

Flag Post

Guys… realize.. it’s ended already.

Good thing, urbansquall is considering this again in the future.

Also, you can view the swfs and sources http://www.gamepoetry.com/blog/4k_flash_march_09/

And the next one will probably have a “theme” you have to follow, so no point trying to start now lol.

Flag Post

We were talking about holding a Kong 4k competition… For those of us who missed it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

We were talking about holding a Kong 4k competition… For those of us who missed it.

Do it if you want then….. but you probably won’t get many contestants :S

Flag Post

Maybe not, but im sure w’ed get atleast a few. Before I start a thread though, I’d like some input from other ppl as to the criteria… maybe some new ideas, a theme, something like that?

- Under 4k (maybe change it to a different number, such as 5k, 10k, 2k, etc.)
- Start from scratch
- Due date (when should that be)
- Any other ideas

Flag Post

ok, for this very first competition, I don’t think a theme should be required, but if this idea is successful than I think future competitions should have a theme or an odd requirement of some sort.

As for file size, I think that it should be 6k. Thats allows for a little more wiggle room.
And a due date… I think it should be 2 or maybe 3 weeks from when you make the thread. That kinda counters the extra 2k so it should still be difficult.

Also, it should be completely optional to release your source, but there should be the option of it. I know I will release my source for this competition, but I think that turned a lot of people off of the 4k competition.

Flag Post

Right, and sources would only be made available AFTER the competition. anyone else got ideas?

Flag Post

cmech notice the 4k competition the rules said you don’t have to release source at all….

Anyways, I personally won’t be joining this one, because it’s way too close to my finals… so I’ll have little time to work on this between homework studying and a few other projects i’m involved in…

That said, good luck! You also should find a few people for judges too, because only 1 judge is definitely not good enough.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jonathanasdf:

Do it if you want then….. but you probably won’t get many contestants :S

I WOULD DEFINITLY DO IT EVEN IF THERE IS NO PRIZE
its all about the challenge

Maybe not, but im sure w’ed get atleast a few. Before I start a thread though, I’d like some input from other ppl as to the criteria… maybe some new ideas, a theme, something like that?

- Under 4k (maybe change it to a different number, such as 5k, 10k, 2k, etc.)

- Start from scratch

- Due date (when should that be)

- Any other ideas

I believe they chose 4k because 4k is the smallest space a file can take up, if you have a 100 byte file, go to its properties it will say size on disk is 4k

if you upload a game to kong it doesn’t say the size (as far as I know) so you would have to upload entries on file hosting site or email them to someone

Flag Post

Good point. And I dont think there would be a proze, unless someone wants to volunteer 50$? =P

Flag Post

ask rakeback to sponser the competition he gives away tonnes of money to developers on kong
ALL HAIL RAKEBACK

Flag Post

For uploading, I think that the process should be:
1. Create game. Make it awesome.
2. send swf to one specific judge.
3. That judge checks all the swf files to make sure they fit the guidelines, and if they do he uploads it to megaswf or some other hosting site.
4.The links are all posted in one post in the thread, and then each developer makes a post with their individual link, game name, and any other info needed to play the game.
5. The judge who posted all the links in one post deletes that post 24 hours after the submission time ends. He then posts at the end of the thread with all the links that were not re-posted by their developers.
(steps 4+5 are just to allow each developer to explain about their game and provide instructions they may not have had room for in the game.)
6. The panel of judges choose 3 winners, but provide commentary on each game. (prizes are awarded?)
I think that sounds good :)

EDIT: someone contact rakeback. He sounds like hes the man.

Flag Post

Hmm. that seems a little complicated. how about, with their swf they send a notepad file containeing any info they wnat put about the game.

Flag Post

touche truefire. touche………

that works better. A LOT better.
So would you just want to eliminate steps 4-5?
Because I think that works.

Flag Post

ill help in some way.
i cant make games well but i will judge and make an awesome avatar for the winner

Flag Post

If there was going to be a formal comp and dedicated thread I’d give it a go.

I’m not sure how the “Start from scratch” rule should be applied though as I tend to work based on a library of code I’ve developed over years. Very few projects are developed 100% from scratch.

Flag Post

I think reusing code is perfectly acceptable, what I really meant by ‘start from scratch’ was that no one should be thinking ‘Hey, this is a cool competition! And my game that I’ve been working on for the past year is under 6k! Wow!’

Flag Post

damn…. I’ve been working on a game for over 5 years now.. it’s only about 4mb… now to start reducing it in size ;)

Flag Post
Originally posted by cmech:

I think reusing code is perfectly acceptable, what I really meant by ‘start from scratch’ was that no one should be thinking ‘Hey, this is a cool competition! And my game that I’ve been working on for the past year is under 6k! Wow!’

i think if i stripped my other game of all graphics that might actually work… its about 75kb without the main logo and music, and i could easily work all the code into functions and dynamically make the stages…

but that would be really boring and i have an idea that shouldnt take too long for this

Flag Post

another comp you all might find interesting is the x48 microsoft xna camp, basically groups of no more than 4 uk students attempt to make games on a theme(the theme for this years that just finished yesterday was evolution) in no more than 48 hours with xna 3.0(thats 48 hours including sleep time lol if they want to sleep) my uni Huddersfield won three awards there this year, go to this link to see some vids of the teams and what they were doing etc:

http://vimeo.com/groups/x48