Computer Overheating - Will ice packs do?

28 posts

Flag Post

Hey guys, my laptop keeps on crashing after it overheats. Which really annoys me. So I’ve put an ice pack on the spots of the PC where they get hot.
Is this actually doing anything or is it just going to ruin my computer? And if so, what other temporary methods can I use?
Thanks.

Flag Post

I used to have this fan thing which i put under my laptop to stop it from overheating, don’t know what it’s called tho.

Flag Post

Generally, laptops don’t overheat unless there is something wrong with them, or they are being used in a hostile environment (e.g. sitting on a pile of blankets).

1. are the fan vents in your laptop clogged with anything?
2. Do you have your laptop sitting on anything which blocks the fan vents?
3. are you overclocking your CPU?

Flag Post

You can get cooling trays like syurba mentioned – here’s an example:
http://www.sportsimportsusa.com/usbcosyforno.html

The other thing you can do is make sure the vents on the side or bottom are not blocked by dust / fluff, or blankets or your leg or whatever when you’re using it.

You can also underclock the cpu in vista/win7 by going into power properties, can’t remember where it is but in the advanced section you can lower it. The lower it goes the less energy it uses / heat it produces.

Flag Post

This

Oh wait. You have a laptop. Try this instead.

Flag Post
Originally posted by johnwinkelman:

Generally, laptops don’t overheat unless there is something wrong with them, or they are being used in a hostile environment (e.g. sitting on a pile of blankets).

1. are the fan vents in your laptop clogged with anything?

2. Do you have your laptop sitting on anything which blocks the fan vents?

3. are you overclocking your CPU?

Well nothing blocks the fans or anything and it’s in a clean enviroment. Recently my Mum accidently corrupt the system files and thats when it started crashing. I have patched some system files to get custom skins ect. but all extras like ubericon and stuff, I close on start-up to help clear the CPU. I do have a second screen attached but I don’t know if thats using up the CPU heaps.

Flag Post

I have patched some system files to get custom skins ect.

This could quite easily cause system instability. I assume you kept a restore point from before you made those changes?

Flag Post

I hate the fact that they don’t supply OS disks with pre-installed Windows Laptops. It’s annoying, the disks provide repairing! I suppose Vista addressed that issue but still…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jabor:

I have patched some system files to get custom skins ect.

This could quite easily cause system instability. I assume you kept a restore point from before you made those changes?

Yes well, I’ve had the files patched for ages and the PC has been working fine, it’s only when those system files got corrupt. I plan on re-building the PC soon anyway as thats the only way I can fix it. It won’t even let me do a system restore :/ I just need to keep it from crashing temporarily during this term so I can do some work then re-build it in the holidays when I have more time. Oh and I have a HP media edition laptop so I can’t install the newer windows 7 onto my laptop :(
But it’s alright as I have everything backed up on multiple external hardrives, it’s just

Flag Post

Back up your personal files and reinstall the operating system. HP should have given you a CD with Windows MC on it, if not call them and request it (they are legally bound to provide you with a reinstallation CD due to copyright: you own that copy of Windows, they do not).

You can try doing a repair session with the CD, but generally I’ve found that unhelpful.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

Back up your personal files and reinstall the operating system. HP should have given you a CD with Windows MC on it, if not call them and request it (they are legally bound to provide you with a reinstallation CD due to copyright: you own that copy of Windows, they do not).

You can try doing a repair session with the CD, but generally I’ve found that unhelpful.

Yeah I know that, I just need to know if putting these ice packs on is going to destroy my computer?

Flag Post

I would say yes, this humid air would get inside and rust everything causing the PC to completely crash and it may void the warranty. So Don’t do it.

Flag Post

and the computer fans will be sucking all the water off the outside of the ice pack, Water+Electricty= don’t mix

Flag Post

I think a better thing would be getting some fans on your laptop. another idea would be putting your laptop on supports so the fan isn’t blowing against what it’s standing on.

Flag Post

Yeah using supports is a good idea, i had this problem too but fixed it just by putting my laptop on a book so air gets in under it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Heylon:

rust .

Hehe. Rust. Hehehe.

What parts of a computer are made of iron?

Last I checked there was silicon, gold (small quantities), aluminum, copper, plastic, germanium (maybe), and stainless steel.

Flag Post

Iron isn’t the only metal that corrodes or degrades in humid environments.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jabor:

Iron isn’t the only metal that corrodes or degrades in humid environments.

“Corrodes” and “rusts” are not synonymous. Rust is specifically iron corrosion.

Rust is a general term for a series of iron oxides, usually red oxides, formed by the reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. Rusting is the common term for corrosion of iron and its alloys, such as steel. Other metals undergo equivalent corrosion, but the resulting oxides are not commonly called rust.

Flag Post

This happened to my old laptop, its probably just the manufacturing my friends have had brand new computers doing this, and when using the cd drive it makes a loud zzzz noise so i use it fairly quikly.
[SOLUTIONS] 1. Dont leave it charging all night
2.Dont Use it while its on the charger
3.Turn it off at night.
4.Its probably the fan under it(go to your local electrical store and find a laptop fan, i DONT recommend going to a computer store they may charge you alot)

Flag Post

WAIT WAIT WAIT WHAT?!

…. That’s the most stupid thing I’ve heard.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jonathanasdf:

WAIT WAIT WAIT WHAT?!

…. That’s the most stupid thing I’ve heard.

Hahaha yeah exactly. what happens when the battery goes flat? your skrewed.
A small amount of heat coming from a charging battery shouldn’t affect it.
Or just leave it charging untill it is full then just runs from mains power.

Flag Post

Well I don’t have the icepacks near any vents or let any water seep into any of the holes.
I just place it on top of the hard plastic where it gets really hot and suprisingly, it actually works to an extent.

Flag Post

This reminds me of an experiment where someone overclocked an old 386, then stuck the computer in a deep freezer surrounded by blocks of ice. They managed to play Unreal Tournament for almost fifteen minutes before the CPU melted a hole in the motherboard.

Flag Post

I assume you can HEAR the fans…

I THINK they make air guns or something for clearing out vents.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SavageWolf:

I assume you can HEAR the fans…

I THINK they make air guns or something for clearing out vents.

CAN O’ AIR.

And hearing the fans has little relevance to their dustiness.

My brand new fans makes noise too you know.