Using iframe mode to enable right-click in flash

9 posts

Flag Post

It hardly needs to be argued that right clicking would be a blessing for flash games.

If I got this understood right, the beta iframe feature of kongregate allows you to use non-flash games by embedding them into a html page and loading that html page in an iframe on kongregate.

There are efforts to bring right-clicking to flash.
example 1: http://www.uza.lt/blog/2007/08/solved-right-click-in-as3/
example 2: http://www.suncitydesign.com/research/captivate-right-click/

If a developer were to embed his flash game into a html page on his webserver, and then use some trick to allow functional right clicking in his flash, could he not then submit the whole mess as an iframe game to kongregate?

The end result would then hopefully be a perfectly normal flash game on kongregate (you shouldn’t notice the iframe) that allows you to right click to interact with the flash.

What do you guys think?

Flag Post

Sounds pretty sweet. Would kinda suck if you distribute to other portals though, so I guess you’d still want to provide an alternate control scheme that is still comfortable enough to use.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Moonkey:

Sounds pretty sweet. Would kinda suck if you distribute to other portals though, so I guess you’d still want to provide an alternate control scheme that is still comfortable enough to use.

Indeed. I can imagine a splash screen telling the user that holding Ctrl while left clicking will work as a right click should the user be unable to use the normal right click.

Flag Post

Or better yet, set a context menu item saying so ;)

Flag Post

If you get a sponsorship deal with kongregate, that could be a great way of driving traffic back to kong (making you money) without actually locking off any content :p

Flag Post

but it would be so much better if kong was to provide the functionality built in. Put it as part of their API. It’s not hard at all for Kongregate to do so.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jonathanasdf:

but it would be so much better if kong was to provide the functionality built in. Put it as part of their API. It’s not hard at all for Kongregate to do so.

Indeed. However, there are downsides to this too. By disabling right click you stop the user from accessing his or her flash settings. What if the user needs to increase the storage limit for your flash game to save? Or wants to enable his or her webcam?

But this could perhaps be solved by having a button on Kongregate that disables/enables the right clicking script, allowing the user to choose freely.

Flag Post

Wasn’t there a game that used the RCMenu, Cut-Copy-paste gnome I think…

Flag Post

That used a context menu item rather than replacing the right click function if I remember correctly.