How do you beta test?

8 posts

Flag Post

I would like to port over the full version of starscape from my facebook version, but that seems like it will involve a lot of re-writing php files and database entries. Is there a way to have a beta or testing version of your game hosted here for extensive testing beyond the ‘preview’ submit thing?

I will need to completely rewrite the php map system in some kind of flash, and I expect it to be very buggy initially. I need to pass in to the php script player ids of different players and load different systems…

Flag Post

why would you have to rewrite the php files and database entries?

and you can always do your testing on sites like SWFCabin.

Flag Post

I’m hoping to use a better host, so the connection settings will have to be changed in each of the php files. It also looks like I’ll need to use Kongregates security/authenticaion system and store more values in the DB. And there is no map handler php file, it was all done in php alone, rendered as html, so I need to write that and test it.

Just wondered if there was in-house testing/testing accounts available for games that involve sending/receiving from php that need multiple user ids.

I don’t want to release a buggy version of the game, first impressions being important and all that.

Flag Post

You could presumably use the guest access key (see the API docs) to test with multiple players online simultaneously.

Flag Post

sorry there is no such thing currently available in Kongregate, although it has been a suggested feature…

Edit: forgot about the guest access key thing. You could probably use that. But if you’re storing things on the db based on kongregate username the test wouldn’t work very well. But if you have your own login system that’s not a problem.

Flag Post

When you upload your game its in preview mode until you click ‘publish’. You can allow certain other people to visit your game by giving them the guest access link, and if they sign on though the chat sign in while in your game, they can also leave comments. The way you get your guest access link is by adding /api to the end of your preview game url.

For example. (you can follow this to see if you can reach my preview game, called test). Here is the game url: http://www.kongregate.com/games/UnknownGuardian/test_preview. But only the developer can access that. Add /api to become http://www.kongregate.com/games/UnknownGuardian/test_preview/api and then copy and paste your guest access code. Mine is http://www.kongregate.com/games/UnknownGuardian/test_preview?guest_access_key=31a4145f893a5e4f02e46e2843619a49ae3b40d02462c1e0c208f4e5068f0f6a. If you tried doing it right now, you would also be redirected to the homepage. First you have to sign out to visit the guest access link, and then once on the game page, you can login through the chat login section. Then you can leave comments too.

Flag Post

First I should have asked: Can I just upload a Wubitog’s Test Grounds game, that I can change at any time down the road to any game i’m working on? It says K has no real submission guidelines in the FAQ. I just don’t want to do something that will get me suspended/banned.

Flag Post

Yes, you can make updates to your game after you have uploaded it, even after you have published it.