Game Development Room (GDR)

486 posts

Flag Post

Just released the Game Development Room today.

It features a real time integrated chat and a code box where you can send code quickly between users using the Code Box, located on the right side. You can get help or even give help here.

Its fairly rudimentary right now, but if you guys would leave some comments and suggestions I would happily integrate the ones I can.

Thanks!

Town Hall Meetings Record

[1-27-11] http://pastebin.com/7zarSETK
[3-26-11] http://pastebin.com/SsgmRv1a

Source Code

Version 4.000 Source code.
The source code for GDR has been released. Feel free to use it, but please, don’t upload the exact game. I’ve open sourced it for the intent of learning, and not profit.
Download Link

Commands

Sound Control: Now a button in the bottom right corner
Silence a user: (Moderators, Admin only) /silence UnknownGuardian or click red button next to their username
Ban user: (Admin only) /ban
Fake Ban User: /banUser (glitch….)

Updates

4.001: All checks moved serverside, more secure. Added lots more mods. Kong API submission now works.
4.000: /santa
4.000: Beta game tab is now public. Link to your game in development to receive feedback.
3.008: Illegal to type “v” in chat. Added protection against mutliple unicorns in a single message.
3.007: Added highscore for /unicorn. Added user sites section in Links Tab.
3.006: lobstershow is not a mod anymore.
3.005: Fixed excessive stat reporting. (Collected 6000+ unique stats. Shrunk to ~20)
3.004: lobstershow is mod, scrollbar bug fixed. Now doesn’t snap to top.
3.003: Added a passkey for regular connection so users can’t hack together their own client and use my service.
3.002: Permaban system added.
3.001: Reconnection Bug fixed. Redirects to correct room now.
3.000: Sort of major change, so new update num. Kong mods = still orange. Elected mods = regular colors, but still can silence. Also fixed reconnect bug that reconnects after I kick everyone. >.>
2.011: Fix Code box, BobTheCoolGuy, wolfheat are mods
2.010: Auto-Reconnect Try #2.
2.009: Due to the sad fact that some people that like to visit GDR also spam a bit while I’m off, I’ve added extra code to limit users known to have this problem to max 150 words per message, rather than the 500 for everyone else. Also added some debug text. PM me the message if you got it. And tell me if you were chatting recently to when the error popped up.
2.008: Fixed a PM bug where links and code box data broke. Also added command checks and the game will notify you if you type it in the wrong area. Also fixed tabs in codebox, so they work like a regular text editor
2.007: Clickable in chat links. Just make sure to use http:// in front. Helps prevent spam and such a bit.
2.006: Disassociative now has moderator powers. This may or may not be temporary.
2.005: Scrollbug fixed, though its now harder to copy and paste what other people said.
2.004: Auto reconnect Downgraded. Version does not work.
2.003: Private messages introduced. Use the same way kong does, with “/w Username”
2.002: Small bug fix with Kong username checking, and removed a null bug when Kong returns a 500 internal server error. (But they seem to have fixed that)
2.001: Better chat. Coded in FD. Nicer looking in general. User authentication on the server. Code Database is separate from time database. NOTE: Stay at least 10 minutes the first time you enter or your time will be lost.
1.017: BraydenBlack now has mod privileges.
1.016: Small errors fixes everywhere. Trying to lower the average of 20 errors per day down. Just added some checks on the code box and shortlinks to make errors occur less. Also the odd bug that randomly kicks everyone should be gone, since I added some try catch blocks.
1.015: Small minor updates everywhere. Sanchex is now is now a mod.
1.014: Better userlist. Smaller, mods + game dev are at top. Non-kong mods but in game mods given orange. Kong Submission of correct time, and database saving of time working. /code shortlink is removed. just post the shortlink in chat and it recognizes it. Shortlinks now have an @ in the beginning of them too.
1.013: Better chat shortlinks. They are now colored, and you can type words after them.
1.012: The Link Box is no longer based on XML. It failed to load for some people, so I just hard coded it.
1.011: Timer Adjusted to look nice. OCD Fix: User joins with code box open, messed up depth. Now fixed.
1.010: Post code shortlinks in chat with “/code shortlink” then others can click on the shortlink and it automatically loads it in the codebox.
1.009: Userlist graphics improved
1.008: Major links section improved. Slowly working on the graphics guys ;)
1.007: Sound Added. Mute: /muteSound Unmute: /unmuteSound
1.006: Timestamp added.
1.005: Developer has power to disconnect all users from server immediately. Helps with updates and such. Code is almost fully commented, and ready to be published.
1.004: Code Scrollbar now works, using textfield.
1.003: User scroll list is smaller, links are now relocated.
1.002: Syntax Highlighter added. Also, supports some html tags in chat. These tags will be disabled if abused.
1.001: I’ve added code to prevent multiple rooms, fixing the lonely people rooms.

© 2010-2012 ProfusionGames

Flag Post

Looks neat!

Flag Post

For technical reasons I have to manually add moderators, though I’ve already added any Programming Forum Moderators/regulars in the programming forum.

Why couldn’t you just detect whether they are a moderator through the Kong API?

Flag Post

That is definitely looking great. However I was a bit confused with the code box. I pasted a small snippet into it, then clicked “post code”, and It didn’t look like anything had happened. In the bottom left was my name with about 6 extra #’s. Though I think once people start getting into the room it could become very helpful.

Eventually I’d think about cleaning up the interface a little, just because the links seem kinda messy, plus it’s all gray. I realize it is just a chat room, but maybe custom color schemes would be nice, or eventually the ability to post pictures.

Flag Post

Those links all at the top look terrible… I think they should be in a pullout…

Hmm… Maybe it should have a Windows Areo like appearance..?

Also, support for tab and ^v…

Flag Post

@savage, i believe them are there for technical reasons(covering up a problem). But i think that is what i heard….

Flag Post

Sounds like it could be cool and seems to be off to a pretty good start. Definitely needs some interface work, it’s pretty hard to figure out what I’m supposed to do. Make it more obvious what’s a button, input, etc. For example, a bevel or similar shading will be assumed to be a button. Also, making things change a bit when you hover over them will help people realize that they can interact with them. Also, if you’re trying to appeal to programmers, take cues from IDEs for how to lay things out.

Additionally, although this may just be my current interests speaking, this idea might be more suited for a standalone web app, but it should work fine as a flash app.

Flag Post

Syntax Highlighter is here! Some of the basic stuffs are higlighted! Hope you guys like it. If you want a color change, just tell me for what and to what color!

Also, html chat is here! You can now use things like <b> and <a> for links and such.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Hmm, odd. You and Mossy seem to be having related problems. Perhaps I should just hard code the numbers to perhaps prevent this. I don’t see why its doing this either. Everything is shifting, and in mossy’s his is off the side of the screen…

Oh, and update with new interface that is cleaner.

Flag Post

and FlashBeast is in the room twice.

Flag Post

Yea, there was a minor glitch when UG updated the game and we all had to reload. It’s not just me that was like that.

Flag Post

Yes, when locally testing it, I prefer to use the real online server rather than a developmental locally hosted server, so I had to disable the kong log in by uncommenting a line of code and I forgot to recomment it on the released built. Fixed shortly afterwards.

Some stats:
We’ve used just over 6 mb of data transfer in 2 days. About 40% of that is startup costs, e.g. sending a list of who is already in the room/connecting to the server, etc. The other 60% is solid data transfer, meaning messages and code sent.

Currently we have 119 code data pieces stored in the online database, totaling 32.38kb of solid text data. Half of it, I’m betting is “testing…” and such. I can view each individual code online in the database, provided the server likes me then and lets me see it.

I plan on clearing the cache of data every week or so, just to prevent errors of duplicate database indicies which are incredibly difficult to get. (you have to post code at the exact same time relative to the start of the app as another time you did)

We also have had 120 errors that were reported automatically to the server, with 96 of them being the same error. :P

Flag Post

“[Syurba] should add a time to this so u know how recent the message is”
Nice feature to have.

Flag Post
Originally posted by virror:

“[Syurba] should add a time to this so u know how recent the message is”
Nice feature to have.

what he said ^^

Flag Post

oh hey, looks like my idea is finally up and running :3 GOOD JOB UNKNOWN!

Flag Post

Hey, so I have some small ideas for the chat room.

First, you could add a sound when someone say something, with the possibility to mute it. You could also add a small menu where you could choose the size of the letters, the color, maybe have some smileys and things like that. Finally, a message could be displayed in the chat when someone log in and out.

I know I may already have tell those idea in the chat, but I found a good idea to write them here.

Flag Post

First, you could add a sound when someone say something,

I second this. When I opened it there was no one on, so I left it in a background tab and had to keep checking back constantly to see if anyone had come in. A beep or something when someone says something would have been incredibly useful.

Flag Post
Originally posted by fatjohndaly:

First, you could add a sound when someone say something,

I second this. When I opened it there was no one on, so I left it in a background tab and had to keep checking back constantly to see if anyone had come in. A beep or something when someone says something would have been incredibly useful.

me too.

Flag Post

Like virror and sanchez9416 said, timestamp and sound would be nice. Also I think the animation when opening and closing the codebox should be 3 times faster, waiting a second to write a code and another one to post it is annoying when trying to do it fast.

Flag Post

And rooms!!! Say I want to invite a friend and discuss some code with him privately.

Flag Post

maybe like 1 main room and u can create private rooms with passwords

Flag Post

Too bad it kinda diead…

Flag Post

I’m in there right now… being… lonely.

Flag Post

If you could make it an AIR app, people could set it to run on their computer start up. I think people aren’t going in it now basically because they’ve forgotten about it.