Forums The Arts

Let's make some music!

31 posts

Flag Post

Since I’ve stumbled upon quite a fair number of useful (and mostly free) music tools over some Google searching, I think I’ll post them here since I’ve already collated them:

AudioTool

Ardour (Note: Donationware, Linux/OS X only. Functionality lacking without paying at least USD1)

Linux Multimedia Studio (Closest thing to FL Studios, probably. Multi OS, IIRC)

Aviary Roc

Noteflight (Online sheet music writing program)

Musescore (free music composition and notation program)

Audacity (Available for Mac, Windows, and Linux!)

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Very helpful!

Everyone else is encouraged to share any music programs that they have been using, as well.

Flag Post

Now maybe the writers should get a sticky too?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vegard20:

Now maybe the writers should get a sticky too?

Currently working on it… ish.

Flag Post

TuxGuitar is another great program, it allows you to write guitar tablature/sheet music. You can choose from a bunch of different instruments to compose entire band tracks. I’d check it out if you’re interested in stuff like that

Flag Post

MPTracker should be up there too. But be aware, trackers are extremely difficult to use the first time.
EDIT: But it is free.

Flag Post

The program that I primarily use is Ableton Live.

Yes, my parents bought it for me. It costs a bunch (depending on the version, it goes from ~$100-$800), but it’s really intuitive and allows you to make music and DJ with ease. Great stuff.

Flag Post

@ Riff/ray: Please provide links to your programs and brief summaries of what they do if you’ve used them. It helps a lot.

@ Glomp: A cheaper alternative, surely, although not exactly free. >_< That and I’m a tad lazy to update my post atm so I’ll wait for a bit more things to update it with :)

Flag Post

I’ve been Using Acoustica Mixcraft for a while for remixing MIDI’s that I write out. It has one of the best instrument samples available (in my opinion) that I know of that isn’t over 100$. It’s also very good for recording live if you have a microphone. It costs $74.95 but it’s well worth it’s price.

Also, one that most people probably know about the Finale products that give you a lot of choices of different notation software to choose from (Cheapest 10$ to 600$)

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Definitely check out famitracker for making chiptunes. It’s a rather great tracker, in my opinion, and though I’m not very good with trackers, it has a rather intuitive interface and it’s very solid.

Also, should we post links to good VSTs/percussion samples here too?

Flag Post

While it’s far from a pro tool, I found it both funny and an interesting option for those who don’t have a real piano.

Plus, it’s free and the game was uploaded to Kongregate.

Piano Talent 1.2

I guess it’s worth giving it a try and adding it to the list :)!

Flag Post

If you have a Mac running Leopard or Snow Leopard, and you’re into recording, you can download the Adobe Audition beta for Mac. It’s free, but you have to sign up for a (free) Adobe account.

Flag Post

I use Finale notation software, it doesn’t have the best “audio” but I love it. I like to have a hard copy of notated music as well as the sound file.

http://www.kongregate.com/collabs/sounds/Eonomine/minuet-of-winter-in-eb-major

An example of what it can put out.

Flag Post

I use Madtracker 2, and it is a pretty good free program. It is VST plugin compatible, so theirs always new sounds and stuff you can get off the internet.

Flag Post

Very helpful. Thanks.

Flag Post

I’ve also been using a program called Notessimo, and it’s been working pretty good. I suggest anybody with an music experience try it, although it can be just a bit hard to use at times. For those lazy people, here’s the link Notessimo

Flag Post

Im using Ableton Live 8, and i didnt spent a dime on it. I got the crack from my friend and it work perfectly.
I also enjoyed using Fruity Loops, since it was my first audio program.

Flag Post

i have lots of sample packs whit a bunch of cool sounds (warner bros, george lucas, 8-bits) and many VST and plugins. i will put it on 4shared so people can easy find material to creating new sounds.

Flag Post

all of sony’s acid programs are excellent for making music for acid express software go to www.acidplanet.com -peace out.

Flag Post

sfxr is a cool tool for making 8-bit sounds for games,

i demand it be added to the list!

http://drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

Flag Post

I’ve been using Propellerhead Reason. Not a free program tho.

Flag Post

www.soundation.com FTW

Flag Post

Ok Most of below is not free (cost noted where i can remember). These are what i use for bits a pieces.

documenting ideas for bass and guitar and learning songs-Guitar pro alternatively you can use power tab which is free

Drum programming-I use fruity loops with the drum hit from hell plugin

Audacity-i use this to turn my drum tracks into better formats as the fruity loops format isnt that useful for my recording process

Pro tools through M-audio plugin-i can use audacity to import my drum tracks then record vocals, bass and guitars through the M-audio interface. The essentials package is about £60 but full functionality costs more