Forums The Arts

[Group] Prophets of Pixels TWO page 55

1568 posts

Flag Post

Trying to learn some animation.

Here’s my first walking cycle.

Flag Post

That’s a pretty nice looking walk cycle. The leg movement looks pretty good, but you should add some bounce to his ‘waist/body?’ and you’ll be golden. Just ease the waist up to its peak while either leg is straight up and down and have the waist be the lowest when the legs are furthest apart. If you already knew this and chose not to do it for display purposes, then just worry about my first sentence.

Flag Post

Can I put here the Creeper of Minecraft?

Flag Post
Originally posted by alexolsenpang:
more pixel art.

Nicely done! Oh, and 2 questions:

1. Any advice on how to draw a face?

2. Did you ever find that tutorial you mentioned earlier?

Also, I saw your post in collabs, you might want to look at the shootorial, it has some code that could serve as a good base for your game, and anything else(IE: course changing, different weapons) would be easy enough to figure out along the way(That’s basically what I’ve been doing, so if you have a specific problem or feature you want to add that seems difficult I might be able to help. The programming style I’m using is a bit different from that of the shootorials, but specific features can probably carry over, as can problem solving.)

Flag Post

Normal version

Big version

Flag Post

Tried it again with a model. Better?

Flag Post
Originally posted by clasher235:

Tried it again with a model. Better?

Much. Her cheek looks a little over-textured, and just about everything else looks under-textured (more contrast in the colors you used would probably help), but otherwise, that’s a major improvement over this:

Flag Post

@ AtilioA

There is absolutely no texture at first I thought that was just your style

I can tell your not an artist. but here are the good things about it:

It’s extremely abstract whether you meant it to look like that or not

heres a tip if thats the way it is supposed to be you did it right

here’s a bit of a challenge for you.

Try to make a detailed one to show that you understand the concept of shading, and depth.

and its a challenge. If you really want to classify your self as Can do pixel art this will show us you understand basic concepts, and you’re not using them because it was the main goal, cartoony looking.

and I’m a cartoonist its my style but I also understand all or most of art concepts like: texture, depth, highlighting, smudging, using your fingers to blend. this is all referring to hand art but the concepts are all relative digital or guerrilla.

your good from what age I judge you are which is 13 14 12
don’t take this in a negative mannner this is how you improve take it and improve I’m speaking art in general if you want to learn from a pixel artist I suggest asking alex, ramos, cabbawargod, and clasher from what I’ve seen they really understand the concepts the best alex being the pro on this forum.

sorry about punctuation :P
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have been having troubles with the coloring and (preferably Alex he seems the most advanced with blending and coloring) could help me

Flag Post

@cabbawargod

Thats a perfect animation man, good job you got tallent

Flag Post
Originally posted by clasher235:
Originally posted by alexolsenpang:
more pixel art.

Nicely done! Oh, and 2 questions:

1. Any advice on how to draw a face?

2. Did you ever find that tutorial you mentioned earlier?

Also, I saw your post in collabs, you might want to look at the shootorial, it has some code that could serve as a good base for your game, and anything else(IE: course changing, different weapons) would be easy enough to figure out along the way(That’s basically what I’ve been doing, so if you have a specific problem or feature you want to add that seems difficult I might be able to help. The programming style I’m using is a bit different from that of the shootorials, but specific features can probably carry over, as can problem solving.)

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2010/12/23/pew-pew/
there are more stuff on this site too

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

I’d love to see your work again when you’re 13, AtillioA.

Alex, the site and game looks amazing, great work. I’m making unsettling noises at the sight of the concept art. And concept art of sci-fi stuff for a shooter, OHHHH. Beautiful. Maybe you could use some examples of what you’re doing, to make some great insight on colouring like Lime_ is begging for.

Flag Post

I wish i knew what AtilioA said up there

Not exactly begging, more like pleading. :D I’m dying right here, I just cant get colors right, I mean, like, using a pencil is pretty much second nature to me, and theres no color with pencil. I’m new to digital art and cant get that weird jumble of colors that you guys just throw together, zoom out, and wabbam! you have an extremely detailed face, or clothing folds, etc.

I said Alex in particular, because he seems the most advanced.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Lime_:

Not exactly begging, more like pleading. :D I’m dying right here, I just cant get colors right, I mean, like, using a pencil is pretty much second nature to me, and theres no color with pencil. I’m new to digital art and cant get that weird jumble of colors that you guys just throw together, zoom out, and wabbam! you have an extremely detailed face, or clothing folds, etc.

What AtillioA said was hardly anything, just that they were underaged and a beginner to pixel art, in reply to the criticism from you. If I have time, I might just do some colour help myself.

EDIT: I posted two tutorials related to colour on my gallery thread with hardly any posts

Flag Post

Hey everyone, the bosses are now implemented. They appear every 4 levels, spawning different asteroid levels each time. I was thinking of giving each boss a different skin and turret arrangement(first, second, then the rest look identical because I doubt anyone will pass level 11.), what do you think?

Link

Boss 1:

Boss 2:

Icon:

Flag Post

Awsome clasher, dont forget to post it on fgl when its done to get yourself sponsored :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Lime_:

Oh man this is going to be bad. You will take this hard, but if you follow this tutorial you will be able to make the best looking color palettes in the world! You might look at this as rude but remember I wouldn’t write a long essay just to offend some one, but I would write an essay to make someone better.
So lets start by analyzing a quote “Talent is the ability to do hard work in a consistently constructive direction over a long period of time.” by James Whistler. Read it a few times and think about what it means.
It means that you have to work hard in the right direction over a long period of time. And how is this relevant to you or your art you might ask. Well you might have worked hard over a long period of time which i seriously doubt but you haven’t worked in a consistently constructive direction which means have been drawing wrong all your life. But you are blinded with you pride to see this. You believe that all the hard work you have put into drawing has paid of, but in fact it has made things even worse by deluding you even further.

1.So step one kill your pride. (I’m helping you with that right now.)

What are you doing wrong you might ask, but the question you should ask your self is what are you doing right. The answer to this is only you have worked hard, but in a foolish way. You don’t understand anatomy neither perspective or shape or colors, also the basics. You need to start from scratch to fix this. But firstly you need to learn to take critique and act upon it. This is in fact a part of part 1 but this is so important that I will write this as an own point.

2. Step two is to take critique and begin from scratch.

Step three is more related to your question, color doesn’t matter value does. What does this mean? It means that no matter how weird and bad your color combination is it will always work if your values are right. How do you make your values right? this is where your drawing on papers comes in handy. If you really understood how to draw on paper your pixel art, your colors and your digital drawings would look amazing since they all are based on small and simple principals that are hard to master. You haven’t mastered any of these this is why you have tom move down to basics before running around and telling us how amazing you draw on paper.

3. Color doesn’t matter, draw more on paper and things will come natural to you.

I hope this helps you and I hope this will crush your ego. There might be some typos in this text…

Flag Post

Alright, I think I have the gameplay complete, the secondary boss is implemented. All that’s left is kong api, saving, and an expanded tutorial.

So, does anyone have any advice regarding:

a) Game art(Is there anything that should be fixed?)

b)Balancing(Are there any numbers I should adjust? Enemy firerate? Percent of asteroids that spawn as a certain type?)

c) The tutorial(Is anything unclear that I should explain in the tutorial?)

Link

Edit: Oh, and does anyone know a good tutorial on saving? I don’t know how to do it yet, and saving the achievements seems pretty necessary.

Flag Post

A) Change the fonts man, or embed them if you have changed them. Also, you need sound effects and some simple track to play on the background.

B) Money gain is too fast, and i suppose the 1000 starting bonus is only for testing.
This is basically a dodging game, since all offensive acts are automated, i dislike this.

C) You never told how to go back to the main menu and perks shop. (i figured it was Esc)

Flag Post
Originally posted by lobstershow:

A) Change the fonts man, or embed them if you have changed them. Also, you need sound effects and some simple track to play on the background.

Alright, any advice on where to get tracks?

B) Money gain is too fast, and i suppose the 1000 starting bonus is only for testing.

Money gain is from achievements. What achievements do you suggest I change(IE: is an achievement too easy or too hard? Does an achievement pay too much or too little? )

Edit: Oh, and you’re right, the 1000 bonus is just for testing.

This is basically a dodging game, since all offensive acts are automated, i dislike this.

Any suggestions on what to change about that? Do you think an option to lock the gun in a forward firing position and an option to disable autofire would help?

C) You never told how to go back to the main menu and perks shop. (i figured it was Esc)

Oh, that’s easy enough to add. I’ll fix that right now.

Edit: Changed fonts a bit, better? Also, began work on a second part of the instructions screen. Is there anything other than P and ESC that needs some clearing up?

Link

Flag Post

My third tutorial is pixel art-related so maybe this one is actually taken notice of.
Art Tutorial 03: Context And Palettes

Flag Post

I tried to draw a landscape. What do you think?

Photobucket’s been acting up for me. Something about a resize error. Anyone else getting that problem?

Also, perhaps a collab could get some more activity around here. It’s Easter vacation, after all.

Flag Post

The reason we haven’t had any collabs and contests is Snipahar’s random disappearance for however long it’s been now. I’m guessing he doesn’t have much time to post or something, but I suppose it’s possible to do it without posting anything on the front page and without “official” rules, as long as everyone gets it, it should work.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheWhiteAngel:

The reason we haven’t had any collabs and contests is Snipahar’s random disappearance for however long it’s been now. I’m guessing he doesn’t have much time to post or something, but I suppose it’s possible to do it without posting anything on the front page and without “official” rules, as long as everyone gets it, it should work.

Sounds good, any ideas?

Edit: The SYWTBAPA on the front page isn’t linked. here’s the URL: http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_making_sprite.php

Edit: Added in saving of stats. Next I’ll add in achievement and perk saving. I used the famous avoider tutorial.

Link to game

Link to saving tutorial

Edit: Achievements now save. I can’t figure out the whole audio thing, but that appears to be all that’s left to add.

Link

Flag Post

@clasher, your game is getting really nice :D, the bosses and asteroids on boss levels make it more fast paced so I like it.

@TWA, a little unofficial collab or contest would be great, because I have been having lots of trouble with what I am going to do for the art for my game recently, so it would be nice to have something else to work on for fun.