Forums The Arts

3D Renders/Models/Digital Paintings/Vector Graphics made by me. (GDC's portfolio thread)

56 posts

Flag Post

I recently purchased a program called Zbrush and it’s pretty amazing, it is so user-integrated it’s beyond belief, one of the most advanced programs I have ever used in my life, along with Adobe products of course. Seriously this thing is SO worth the cost. I still have about no clue what I am doing, but I figured now I don’t even have to use stock images, I am going to just make a portfolio THAT much better. Now I can make my own renders and paint over them and just do amazing detail, I mean it is really really cool. Here’s an example of what I have been doing, it’s a rusty old battle hardy space marine pauldron, sorry if the quality is bad I just took a screenshot, I don’t know how to export it with the paint on it, yet. Also the messy paint was intentional, I wanted to look all dirty and stuff like it had been repainted and repaired repeatedly.

Flag Post

And here’s another work in progress, about an hour and a half put into it so far. Detailing on the face still needs to be finished, also going to add in gills, add in some human-like skin texture as well as mix in some fish scales and a few other textures. Then I’ll need to paint it and add in some touchups; probably another 3-4 hours put in to finish it.

Flag Post

And another.

Flag Post

Looks pretty good. I used to mess with Max 7, never had the RAM to run ZBrush. Hoping to learn Blender better at some point in the future. Just wondering, your renders, are you going to draw vectors over them or are you just going to use them as bitmaps in Flash?

Flag Post

Whoa, looks nice.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DrBBi:

Looks pretty good. I used to mess with Max 7, never had the RAM to run ZBrush. Hoping to learn Blender better at some point in the future. Just wondering, your renders, are you going to draw vectors over them or are you just going to use them as bitmaps in Flash?

I don’t know actually, just do them for fun. I think at some point when I get better at it I am going to do vectors over them.

Originally posted by HolyQuacamole:

Whoa, looks nice.

Thank ye.

Flag Post

Make a panda :D

The lizard reminds me of the game Oblivion :3 (Skyrim’s prequel) lol

Good work :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by ozzy123:

It was sort of inspired by the argonian race, but I didn’t use any images as reference, I sort of was just going for a scaly lizard fish person, and I mean it’s kind of hard to make a lizard person when oblivion already had a pretty good design of one. I suppose I could longate the face or something, but meh.

Also about the panda, that’s a good idea but I’d need to learn the facial structure of one, I don’t know the anatomy of pandas very well.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GraphicDesignC:
Originally posted by ozzy123:

It was sort of inspired by the argonian race, but I didn’t use any images as reference, I sort of was just going for a scaly lizard fish person, and I mean it’s kind of hard to make a lizard person when oblivion already had a pretty good design of one. I suppose I could longate the face or something, but meh.

Also about the panda, that’s a good idea but I’d need to learn the facial structure of one, I don’t know the anatomy of pandas very well.

Yeah, it does have that argonian look to it, doesn’t it?
Your’s is good enough to have in Skyrim.(literally :3)

Flag Post

Haha thanks. Glad that you like it.

Flag Post

If you’re loaded, you might pick up a 3d input device. The better ones have motors in them so you can “feel” the object as you touch it with the stylus… or even break through the membrane to work it from the inside. It’s how a lot of modeling prototypes are being created today for plastic games and toys. Very few companies use a “traditional” sculpt anymore… it’s nearly all digital.

After you get done playing with zBrush, I’d encourage you to tackle an object that isn’t alien. This will help you work towards a specific effect rather than letting the tools dictate what you can and can’t do.

Flag Post

That’s amazing, I had no clue they had that kind of technology. I think after I get a tablet I may make an investment in one of those. I’d also like to purchase the Autodesk Maya, it seems pretty fancy and it would be amazing to learn.

Flag Post

If you like, GD, but that model that you’re looking at there retails for about $14,000.

Flag Post
Originally posted by petesahooligan:

If you like, GD, but that model that you’re looking at there retails for about $14,000.

I’d rather buy a nice new car for that price haha. But I suppose if I ever got way into it that would be pretty cool.

Flag Post

Purchase Maya? hint hint

Flag Post

Purchase Maya? hint hint

You cant do this stuff with maya.

Flag Post

Purchase Maya? hint hint

I don’t do it like that.

Originally posted by alexolsenpang:

Purchase Maya? hint hint

You cant do this stuff with maya.

DrBBi was replying to my previous comment:

I’d also like to purchase the Autodesk Maya, it seems pretty fancy and it would be amazing to learn.

Which is a software that I do plan to get in the future. My suggestion would be that you read back a bit before you jump on somebody. Maya isn’t exactly fit for this type of thing yes, but it is still capable of 3D animation and still some pretty impressive 3D rendering; quite popular in the professional world.

Flag Post

@ GraphicDesignC – if you’re going to be waiting to purchase Maya, you’re going to be waiting for a very very long time. Can you imagine if you got Maya, then you need Shop, then Flash, then Unity or whatever.. > $10 000 easily.

As for that 3d modelling input device. Am I correct in saying it works only for small objects? And would the triangles be insanely high? If I remember they use lasers instead of input devices to model for games.

Flag Post

Which is a software that I do plan to get in the future. My suggestion would be that you read back a bit before you jump on somebody. Maya isn’t exactly fit for this type of thing yes, but it is still capable of 3D animation and still some pretty impressive 3D rendering; quite popular in the professional world.

If you sign up as a student on the Autodesk website (which I am assuming you are), you can obtain any of the Autodesk software for free.

Flag Post

@ GraphicDesignC – if you’re going to be waiting to purchase Maya, you’re going to be waiting for a very very long time. Can you imagine if you got Maya, then you need Shop, then Flash, then Unity or whatever.. > $10 000 easily.

As for that 3d modelling input device. Am I correct in saying it works only for small objects? And would the triangles be insanely high? If I remember they use lasers instead of input devices to model for games.

Don’t tell me if it’s going to be a long time or not. If you knew me you would know that I have the Adobe Master Suite and a plethora of other softwares that aide me in graphic design. Hence my name. Not to mention, you don’t need other software just to use Maya, it’s a standalone software; yes it helps to have other software but it isn’t necessary.

Also Unity from my knowledge is more along the lines of a game design software, compatible with Javascript and I believe it is also compatible with other languages like C. It doesn’t seem to me to be anything like an advanced 3D modeling program whatsoever, I have seen and used the interface before (not in-depth however) and it didn’t seem to have that sort of functionality, however you can import 3D models and animations, which may be what you are referring to. I’m not exactly looking to get that far into the process though, maybe at a later time. All I know is that I could use a 3D animation software.

And the master suite is about 1500USD, it’s cheaper to buy the whole suite than spend 1,000 USD on separate Adobe software, I.E. just purchasing Flash as opposed to buying the whole suite. ZBrush was about 800USD, which is what I use for 3D sculpting, and sculptris as well, for a simpler view of your models. I haven’t exactly looked at the prices on Maya but I would be guessing it’s between 800 and 2,000USD.

I appreciate your advice and input though, I know you meant no harm by it. :D

Flag Post

Well you didn’t tell me you had the Master Suite :) The way you came across was that you didn’t have much software, but you were putting away the opportunity to start working now. And I was just using Unity as an example, and you’re 100% right it doesn’t support modelling, just scripting in UnityScript and Boo.

Sorry if I came across harshly.

BTW how do you quote?

Flag Post

You can type ‘bq’ without the quotes, and then a period afterwards, like this.

bq. 
that will continue quoting though, so you have to do a paragraph break with a ‘p’ and then a period afterwards, like this.
 p.
Or, if you want to quote instantly you can just hit the button that says “Quote post” up under my name and that does it for you. The bq method allows to to only quote certain parts of a post though and is sometimes a more clean way to quote, rather than quoting the block of text as a whole.

Flag Post

Cheers mate. Couldn’t figure it out for a while, making embarassing mishaps.

Flag Post

Going to post some more stuff today probably, I have some spare time so I think I might make something. I also think I am going to start practicing combining the 3D renders I make with Photoshop to make something cool, I will just have to use my imagination in making a render.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator