So I’ve been developing the concept for a webcomic for quite a while, but the artist I previously was working with disappeared off the face of the earth, as far as I can tell. Anyways, I want to get this project up, so here I am soliciting on Kongregate.
Here’s what I currently have:
- A fairly detailed fantasy setting, with similarities to 17th century Europe. Magic levels are low, and there’s a great deal of magitech. There’s a pantheon of 10 squabbling gods who compete for influence within the world. The concepts document I have runs about 15-20 pages.
- A rough storyboard for 5 chapters. So far, the story revolves around a group of politically powerful bandits who are intimately involved in the development of petroleum resources, and eventually come into contact with a high-tech, isolationist civilization that declares war on their entire continent.
- A full storyboard of the first chapter, which currently runs 13 pages.
- A short story on my blog which acts as a sidestory/prequel, taking place 200 years before the planned events of the comic.
I’ve got a great deal of experience as a writer – I’ve published a full length novel, blog somewhat regularly, lots of essays my college professors assigned, a few short stories, etc. I’m somewhat flexible on changing and revising the writing for this, as long as things aren’t too drastic.
What I need in applicants:
- A good work ethic (obviously). You need to know your own capabilities, because I definitely want to update regularly.
- Experience in a style of art suited to making comics. I’m not really sure how to put this, but extremely complex styles of art, while potentially very good looking, probably take too much time to be practical for a webcomic.
- Some degree of autonomy. If I accept you for this job, I’ll do my best to get the sort of visuals I’m going for across to you, but how the comic’s going to look in the end is basically your responsibility.
- Artists who are good at drawing battle scenes will probably take a high priority. War is playing a significant role in the current script drafts. In general, I am willing to accept a wide variety of styles, but if you want to work on this comic you will need to be willing to draw landscapes, buildings, a fairly wide variety of humans with significant variation in costumes, body language, etc.
Anyways, if you’re interested, show me a portfolio of your work in whatever style of art you want to do. I’m not looking for pixel art or stick figure art, so if you were planning to do that, sorry.