Forums The Arts

Pete's art dump

232 posts

Flag Post

Mostly random shit that is cluttering up my computers, thumb drives, and websites. Feedback, observations, suggestions, requests, crushing critiques always welcome. I’ll supply narrative on request, or when I think there’s something interesting to say. Lots of this stuff is old… it’s been here before.

(MODS: I’m responding to your earlier interventions of locking my threads by posting my art in one single post, per your direct instruction.)

NOTE: Some of the images may not be entirely appropriate for all ages.

ALSO NOTE: Some of the images are pretty big. You can hold down shift+scroll wheel to pan left and right.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Flag Post

The image below is a birthday card graphic I want to pitch to Hallmark as a prank:

The image below is a flyer for a legendary punk rock band. I designed the poster and had it screen-printed in water-soluble house paint on pages of the Wall Street Journal. It turned out super cool, I think.

Below, quick little sketch for a t-shirt. I ended up using this sketch rather than later, refined drawings. It was the right one.

Flag Post

Below, self portrait in the spirit of that famous Lenin portrait by… umm, Wasinsksy or someone.

Nose grind, for fun. I know this doesn’t really belong here but I like it. I obviously didn’t take this picture.

Below, a picture of my friend as a Vulcan.

Flag Post

Below, some preliminary asset stuff for a game I was working on.

Flag Post

Below, more asset generation for a game that wasn’t produced. I haven’t had much luck with Kong’s collabs.

Below, proposal sign for my buddy’s coffee shop.

A long time ago I was a production designer for Microsoft. I worked on a lot of their game and developer tools products.

Below: I was the art director for Dragon magazine for years. I commissioned this awesome illustration from Mark Zug.

Below are some neat little paper model combat vehicles. I made 12 of them total… all fitting together without glue. I pitched them to the game company I was working for. We tested them with random kids. The kids were bummed and didn’t want to put the vehicles together. (They thought they were going to play video games.)

Below, interface design:

Flag Post

Below: Photoshop and illustrator can be great tools for mocking up proposals. This business contacted me for a new sign. I pitched the concept using this digital mockup.

Below: When I work on logos, I might do 50 or 60… maybe more. Then take the best 24 or so and put them together to gather feedback. This is a few of those sheets.

Below: Skateboard graphic sketches

From my sketchbook:

Flag Post

Below: It’s common practice when pitching logos to present the top three or so. The client will usually pick the worst one of the bunch. (In this case that was the exception. The middle-left one was picked, and it’s the best one.)

Flag Post

Below is a quick goofy sketch to explore a color scheme. I got a little carried away.

Flag Post

Below, a series of animal alphabet drawings I did in the mornings before starting in on my projects to warm up and relax. Believe it or not, the hardest part of doing these was resolving the colors.

Flag Post

Below, outside of my studio.

Flag Post

These are truly amazing. You sure have been around. How long have you been doing design?

edit: About the ones on the lower part of the posts (Mostly the Letter ones): You said you drew them; what did you use to get such a texture? They almost look as if they are computer generated vector images. Great work.

Flag Post

Thanks for the compliment!

I’ve been drawing and doing design work professionally for about 20 years. Most of the stuff here represents projects from the last 5 years or so. The projects and little goofy drawings tend to come in spurts… 6 months of lots of clients and prolific sketching, then a few months of playing guitar or banjo, reading, and photography, or travel. Then more art, and so on. Gotta recharge.

Almost all of the drawings shown start as thumbnail sketches on paper with pencil or Sharpie. I work the idea out quickly that way, then begin on the computer. The portraits I usually work directly over a photograph as the likenesses are so important. Some of the images are simple scans of traditional sketches. It’s pretty easy to tell which ones those are… but a vast majority of these graphics were done or finished on the computer using Illustrator and Photoshop. (I have loads of layouts and information graphics… charts and diagrams and shit… but those are kind of boring for anyone but the nerdiest design geeks.) Is that the answer you were looking for?

Flag Post

Yeah, thanks for the answer! I usually have trouble planning things out because I just go into it, but I should probably start planning better.

Another (somewhat off-topic) question: What has been the hardest or weirdest object or medium you have used to draw/paint with? I’ve tried a few things, but never really went much farther than painting backgrounds with a plastic bag. I’ve also heard of people painting with their own blood, but that seems a little too extreme. :P

Flag Post

I’ve done graffiti with sponges and dirty walls. Umm, done portraits in the sand. (They get blown away or trampled on after a while.) The most fun, I think, is India Ink and a stick on a big piece of paper. Oil Sticks are kind of fun, too… if you like drawing loosely. (You can probably tell by my stuff that I like my art tight.) Sharpies are probably my favorite medium of all time, though.

Flag Post

Anyway, post your stuff up. Let’s take a look and see what you’re up to.

Flag Post

I haven’t done too much recently, but you may recognize my other account I am working on another acrylic though; not sure when I’ll be done that.

Flag Post

Wow, one of my favourite inspirational artists I know now showcasing their art on a thread as a gallary!
Man, I gotta keep up on my drawing, when’s the last time I’ve been drawing? Since Mid-April? Ugh.
Anyway, keep up the good work and sincere wishes for the future! :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by uzzbuzz:

…you may recognize my other account

Oh yeah, I absolutely remember! I like your stuff. It has a natural, easy quality to it. I’m not sure what I like most about it is intentional, but whatever you’re doing, it works for me.

Thanks, burntfires. I feel your pain. I go for periods where I don’t draw and do other stuff instead. It’s important, I think, to keep the ideas flowing. Sometimes they’re not the right ideas for a drawing, you know? Frankly, I consider writing to be the most accurate and flexible vehicle for communicating an idea… but sometimes an idea just needs a picture. (It’s hard to describe color, for example, but easy to show it.)

Flag Post

I came across some sketches I’d made for a TD game I was working on through Kong’s collabs. I don’t think the action-script guy ever did anything but critique my ideas and sketches… I never saw any prototypes, flash mockups, or anything else.

I’m not going to explain each piece… it’s hardly necessary. Each sketch focuses on a different aspect of the game concept. One of the sketches shows a tower with each of its barrel positions, (as it tracks the creeps). This TD concept relied on elevated terrain that provided certain benefits. (My programming partner said that this was prohibitively difficult, then Don’t Touch My Gems came out several months later.)

As each tower were upgraded, some aspect of it would change. Power is reflected by barrel length. Range is reflected by height. Specialization gets its own color and graphic treatment.

Flag Post

A few older logos…

Flag Post

Flag Post

Flag Post

nice art!