Forums The Arts

In Need of Help

4 posts

Flag Post

I am making a guide about what to do and what not to do when making an internet game. Right now, I need examples of good freelance programmers/artists. You can help me with this if you want to, but if not, don’t have any negative reactions or actions. I’m very motivated about making the guide, so I don’t want to have my guard let down by haters.

Flag Post

First of all, this should probably be in Game Design or something, and not The Arts. Continuing anyway…

I don’t understand why you need examples of “good freelance programmers/artists”. If you knew so much on the subject to be able to make a guide, then you obviously wouldn’t need examples of them, you wouldn’t need other people to tell you these examples most likely, either.

I don’t like this idea. Making a guide on “what to do and what not to do” is silly; it discourages new Developers to figure out what makes a game good and not good, which if they play games at all, they probably know a little – and being told what should and shouldn’t happen in their game is ludicrous. It’s not like a plan you can lay out for factory workers so they always do it in that specific way; developing games is completely different dependent on the person.

If you continue the guide, make sure you emphasize the importance of USING THEIR OWN IDEAS and not making someone else’s game in every way.

Flag Post

Sorry about that, I thought it would be a good idea to do that. It seemed that my ideas were very straightforward.

Flag Post

There are so many awesome books on game design, game development, and game theory out there, it’s not like there’s a need. What new information would you like to provide, Epic, that these don’t already?

There are lots of professional and/or very talented artists here. What kind of information are you looking for?