Forums The Arts

WE HAVE A WINNER for the Yo Dawg Quest contest (locked)

155 posts

Flag Post

Five years ago this summer, a fledgling gaming website started adding badges to games… and it was magic.

To celebrate this milestone, we’re running a pair of contests. In Contest 1, players are invited to design a new quest for the site.

In Contest 2, we’re inviting people to submit designs for the home-page feature roll. The design will be used to promote the Yo Dawg Quest once it’s running and earnable.

One of the members of the site’s design team offers this sage advice:

The dimensions are 436 pixels wide by 228 pixels tall. Generally, the best feature rolls have a simple but engaging image with a concise message. Good use of bright color with as little text as necessary to get the idea across. Less is definitely more and if you can get buy with a really cool image, a title and a button you’re doing great. Also, I have a feature roll template PSD that I use for my own purposes. I’ve tweaked it so that it can easily be understood and used by anyone with Photoshop.

That template is available here.

To enter, post your image in this thread by 11:59pm Kong (Pacific) time, August 5, 2012. Kongregate staff will choose the winner and contact you in order to get the files from you.

Your prize will be artistic immortality, plus a t-shirt! It’s a pile of win. :D

Flag Post

Dang! If only I had any artistic skills whatsoever.

Flag Post
Originally posted by VforVendetta:

I wish that too!

Flag Post

A contest for a contest?

Yo dawg, I heard you like contests so I made a contest for the contest so you can contest while you contest.

Contestception.

Originally posted by IronBlaze2012:
Originally posted by VforVendetta:

I wish that too!

This.

Flag Post

I have some artistic skills, but am currently lacking internet for the PC & Photoshop. :(

Flag Post

Should people save the .psd in case their picture gets elected but it only needs a little tweaking from Kong?

Flag Post
Originally posted by EDGARHOUSE:

Should people save the .psd in case their picture gets elected but it only needs a little tweaking from Kong?

They’ll ask for the PSD if you win, so… saving the PSD seems important.
EDIT:

FIRST ART ON THE THREAD! Need to tweak this a lot.

Flag Post

( Original )

I used Verdana and Arial as the fonts. Nothing strange there :3

EDIT :
I should clearly point out why I was not first to post here.
That arrow took literally an hour to make. Photoshop does not have a triangle feature (and if it does, I can’t see it :c )

EDIT 2 :

This is an important edit I forgot to mention in the main post
This image uses a texture for a background overlay that was obtained from texturez.com ( I used this one ), however it does say on the website the following:

The images on TextureZ.com are free for commercial and non-commercial use for everyone but you may not host, redistribute or sell any of the images found on this site.

Hope that’s okay. I’m not an expert on Creative commons xD

Flag Post
Originally posted by Es337:

I used Verdana and Arial as the fonts. Nothing strange there :3

It’s… it’s… AMAZING!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Es337:

Edit:
I should clearly point out why I was not first to post here.
That arrow took literally an hour to make. Photoshop does not have a triangle feature (and if it does, I can’t see it :c )

Yours is the first serious piece, so it doesn’t matter. xD

Flag Post
Photoshop does not have a triangle feature (and if it does, I can’t see it :c )

You can use the polygon tool and set the sides to 3. This will give you an equilateral triangle, but then you can use the pen tool and whatnot to tweak it to what you want.

Flag Post

If I win, send the T Shirt to Jupiter.

Flag Post

Not a contender, but had to do it.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Why are all the characters on this thread black? Even mine.

Flag Post
Originally posted by petesahooligan:

You gotta Know Your Meme!

Flag Post
Originally posted by petesahooligan:

Actually, my interpretation of Xzibit was everything but black. :P

Flag Post

Though I know Es337 is undoubtedly going to win ten times over, I’ll post my entry anyway…
It lacks a creative background, which I’m working on now. I’ll repost it once I add the background textures.
Photobucket

Flag Post
Originally posted by eProdigy:

Though I know Es337 is undoubtedly going to win ten times over, I’ll post my entry anyway…

I’m not getting my hopes up. There is still a week and a bit to go left ;3 Plus my one doesn’t have a black man in it…

Also I like how everyone is using my setup of Image on the left, title info and button on the right :o

Flag Post

That’s how our standard feature roll image for a game looks like (image on left, title in top right, text on right, button in bottom right) so I assume there’s some of that influencing the design decisions.

Flag Post

Oh probably. I’m a silly :3

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Another art contest? I think I’ll pass on this one since the computer with Photoshop on it is currently unavailable.

I vote for Tomatoman’s image btw.

Flag Post

If I open it in Gimp what layer do draw on?

Flag Post

@Hank: Unlike opening the file in Photoshop, when you open it in GIMP, the layers don’t show up correctly (at least this was true for me). My suggestion would be to hide the layer entitled “Put your design here” and then select the “border” layer and use the Rectangle Select Tool to cut out a box, following the guides (blue dotted lines). Then move the “Put your designs here” to the bottom. At that point you can create a new layer to draw on and do your design. Of course, make sure that the border layer is always on top. I hope that helps. :D