Forums The Arts

Evan's Art Emporium

30 posts

Flag Post

Hey, I decided this will be my little art dump of stuff I made that I think looks cool. Criticism and advice are most welcome.

Flag Post

Here we go!

This is a little portrait I did after re-finding my wacom bamboo. I think it turned out well, but I wish I worked on the eyebrows a bit more.

Here’s some doodling I did with an india-ink based marker. Really experimental but I really enjoy the way it turned out.

This picture was supposed to tell a story of a delivery boy arriving to a house just in time to see a robber flee out the back door
This piece was a ‘commission’(if you can call five bucks from fiverr a commision :P ) that I think turned out great. (It’s a bit lame looking embedded, so right click and view-image to see it best)

Here’s I hummingbird I drew from memory as I learned to use charcoal.

And lastly, here’s a strange bit I did in inkscape. I was playing around with using colors that grated against the eye and blended nicely at the same time to to try to create a piece that would grab the viewer’s attention.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/154/e/e/boredom_and_sleep_deprivation_by_ezenker-d524jfy.png

Flag Post

The black-and-white marker piece is great. I’d love to see more of that kind of stuff, but perhaps a little bit less abstract and a little more figurative. Imagine a whole street scene drawn like that!

I like the hummingbird too. If you were to fix its anatomy a little bit, (their feet usually tuck way up into their feathers and their tails tend to fan outward), you could trace it in heavy oil crayon and it would be a fine tattoo flash.

I like the treatment on the last piece. Looks a little Saul Bass to me. (Not caring for the delicate little highlights on the facial features or the curvy thighs, though.)

The character of the black linework on the portrait is cool. I know what you mean about the eyebrows, but I think you could do a bunch of these types of drawings and explore all kinds of different facial features.

Flag Post

Thanks for the great feedback Pete, I especially like the idea of a cityscape in the style of the abstract marker
piece.

This one was a fun little marker piece.
http://i.imgur.com/tF9oZ.jpg

Here’s another face I drew but this time I used a large sharpie. And yes, I totally messed up the neck :(

http://i.imgur.com/CD8Wn.jpg

This was an old piece I just found. I don’t like the way the colors turned out but I like the focus the baby cave to the picture.

http://i.imgur.com/2xcNF.jpg

Guess what, I did another portrait of an imaginary person!

http://i.imgur.com/IFfn9.jpg

Here’s a charcoal piece of a skull that I saw a picture of in a book. The reason the signature is in ink is because I signed the picture a few days later.

http://i.imgur.com/EC4Ls.jpg

Inspired by this great album art , I speed (ten minutes) drew a picture of Lionel Richie and even copied his signature :D

http://i.imgur.com/wN7Mn.jpg

Here’s a recent charcoal piece I did by copying the gun in this book cover .

Lastly for now, here’s a quick little thing I did for a guy on fiverr:

It would seem that my printer is horrible at scanning in colors and even graphite well.

Flag Post

Double post! :O

I took Pete’s suggestion and made a small picture of a cityscape in the style of my other abstract marker piece.

Flag Post

Yeah, I like that! Though I would prefer a bit more precision and fill in the buildings. It’s neat, though, and captures the character of a city.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ST3ALTH15:

Double post! :O

I took Pete’s suggestion and made a small picture of a cityscape in the style of my other abstract marker piece.

This one is amazing. Good perspective!

Ad I would like this http://i.imgur.com/2xcNF.jpg to be a cover for something. Or even a shirt design.

Flag Post

Thanks kuroitenu for the complements :)

Here’s an upgrade screen for a game I’m working on at the moment:

Any comments, thoughts, ideas, or critisisms are welcome to make it jive more with my current game which looks like this:

Flag Post

Oh yeah, here’s a non-existent game I almost started:

Flag Post

I love the city. Looking at art is pretty fun, but your art is awesome. So that makes it FunX2.89243. Great job.

Flag Post

Very fun artwork, I really enjoy your cityscape and other pieces of similar style. The only thing that bothers me on the city piece are the straight lines on the buildings and streets, I find them too mechanical for the style, your other lines seem more loose and flowing if the lines were more wavered a bit off, less perfect it would enhance the design further. Other than really nice piece, and a perspective I don’t see too often, good job!

Flag Post

those abstract doodles are awsome !. though on your portraits, even though it is cartoon, you could try and make your proportions are a bit more accurate.

Flag Post

How does this look for the menu for my game?

Flag Post

I liked the double-outlined type treatments of the earlier menus. Is there a particular reason you didn’t repeat that?

My impression of the “badge” motif is that I’d prefer to see the whole thing dressed up more. By that, I mean a greater degree of detail, more thick and thin lines, more large and small shapes, and basically just more “finished” feeling.

The design is nice and formal. I like that. (You might want an options button here too… unless sound control will be handled in-game.)

Flag Post

Just realized how much I hated the menu and redid it. Does this look nice to you guys?

Flag Post

Has a cool retro googie look to it. I still feel like it’s not there yet… needs more stuff going on. I think both lines of type should be at the same attitude, either one. The More Games button can be much smaller… nobody really clicks those. They’re there to Play Game.

Flag Post

What do you mean by the attitude of the lines of type?

Flag Post

I like the revision. I find it much more interesting and engaging , using the ship to bring the viewers eyes to the play button is a nice touch, it’s like “Look at me! Play me!” My criticism would be the space between the P, L and A. The P and L seems too close together and the L looks so much farther from the A because of the space the L shape creates. This is more or less the same with MORE the M and O are really close, while the R and E are farther apart. I’d either tighten your kerning a bit more for those farther apart or loosen the kerning.

Flag Post

By “attitude” I meant the angle of the two lines of type. One is slightly skewed while the other is heavily skewed. I’d skew them at the same angle.

Also, if you’re up for it, having the ship pointed toward the view and firing would be more engaging.

Flag Post

Ah, ok. I’m working on the kerning and the type rotation to try to make it more consistent.

Flag Post

How does it look now? I added some background lines to give more depth and adjusted the bullets to make them fit better:

Flag Post

I think it looks better.

The addition to the blast looks good and helps occupy that foreground. I’d consider maybe some speed lines or something to help that even more.

The type is still wonky and on two different angles. Frankly, I don’t think Toggle Sound and More Games even need buttons… they can be small widgets.

Flag Post
Originally posted by petesahooligan:

The type is still wonky and on two different angles. Frankly, I don’t think Toggle Sound and More Games even need buttons… they can be small widgets.

The thing is, having only one button looks really weird. As you can probably tell, I’m having trouble with handling all this open space.

Flag Post

Well, if one button looks weird, I think that three buttons looks three times as weird. You usually can’t fix a design by adding to it.

Think usability. What does the player want to do? What is going to allow them to find and do that most easily? What is going to be rewarding?

Open space also isn’t a problem on its own, but it’s a problem if it doesn’t help build the kind of solution you’re looking for.

Consider:
• Scaling the ship so large that it falls off the boundaries of the frame a little
• Play Game large, other two small (and your name credit as a small button too)
• Add noise to background, or a gradient blend

Flag Post

I’m continuing to work on my game but here’s some fun doodles I’ve done since my last post.

I fooling around with a protractor and some colored pencils, is it any good?

Here’s a little character for a potential game or animation sometime in the future:

And lastly, I was fooling around with some optical illusions. I think I messed up the eye distance.

ADD IT EDIT:

Startup screen for my game: