Forums The Arts

Piano Videos (Feedback Wanted)

21 posts

Flag Post

I have a few piano videos I put on youtube and felt like showing people. I know they aren’t perfect, but I think they’re good enough (you can tell me if you don’t think they are).

So can you guys watch them (and maybe give constructive criticism or at least tell me if you like them or not)?

My youtube name is Pian0ii0.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pian0ii0?feature=mhee

Thanks

PS. Most of the music is from video games for three reasons:
-They are REALLY easy to find the sheets
-They are generally fun to play
-I know a lot of them, and remember the ones I haven’t even heard since i was much younger

Flag Post

I added a new video of Witchyworld (Banjo-Tooie) in case anyone’s interested.

PS:

I’d really appreciate some feedback.

And I wouldn’t mind doing some requests (although i do prefer playing music from certain series such as legend of zeldas, banjo-kazooies, paper marios).

Flag Post

heard banjo tooie and liked it but maybe you uhm…hammered too much on the scientist?

Flag Post

Yea. I did that a while ago… ik its not great. And I don’t really like that song which never makes me play better. My brother wanted me to learn it. I also sped up a lot in it….

Flag Post

bro i’ll tell you straight up, you got skill. However, as an experienced pianist I’ll give you advice: SLOW DOWN, i saw some of your vids and you started with an even tempo but you slowly sped up. If you like speed try some Scott Joplin with your skill you’re bound to rock at it.

P.S. if you have trouble with note reading just PM me

Flag Post

Yea, I do speed up a lot. i only recently got a teacher. so playing so long self taught got me into several bad habits. You can also see my technique isn’t good

Flag Post

I began self-taught but the first thing I did was learn to read notes this significantly improved my ability to judge speeds. your technique was crude mainly on fingerings like using 5(pinkie) instead of 4(ring).

Flag Post

yea ik. while self teaching myself, i didn’t look at technique at all. i just played to recognize the song. so yea, I have a lot of bad habits like that

Flag Post

what skill level would you say you are? 1-10?

Flag Post

I don’t really know. But based of my videos, I can describe it as kotakeand koume is hard. Witchyworld is pretty average. I’m not great at chord changes (like 3 or 4) notes

Flag Post

Well Chopin is usually a 10, Scott Joplin is a 7-8, Mozart’s Turkish March is a 5, and Beethoven’s Fur Elise is a 4, and 1-3 are Bastien.

If you can play a complex melody with either quick changes, progressions, or just fast those are above 5

Flag Post

I haven’t played enough classical music to compare myself on that, sorry. But you might be able to (vaguely) tell my skill level by my videos.

Flag Post

you are somewhere in a 5, which is pretty good. I started playing lvl 8’s in the beginning (brag not intended). Do you Know how to read notes?

P.S. you should buy a weighed keyboard, because those don’t go clickety-clack when you play

Flag Post

OH and if you want to be presentative when you play: comb your hair and close your mouth.LOL JK
I make all kinds of faces unconsciously when I get into a good song

Flag Post

yea i noticed i do that haha. and i decided not to get a weighted keyboard cause quite frankly i prefer playing unweighted. but the “clickety-clack” noises are kind of bothersome

Flag Post

I’f you every played a real piano you’ll notice it is the same as a weighed piano. playing transportable pianos(your’s) you make more mistakes cause your hands don’t put sufficient force. also it makes your fingers RIPED!

Flag Post

Personally, i think thats simply about preference and what your used to. I could’ve gotten a weighted keyboard but like i said, i prefer unweighted

Flag Post

You’d be surprised to see a grand piano’s difference in pressure when compared with an unweighed keyboard

Flag Post

yea i know it’s different. I have a grand piano (I mean it’s out of time but still…). It’s just what I’m used to playing

Flag Post

I just uploaded a new video of leaving earth from mass effect 3 by Clint mansel.

Flag Post

They’re all pretty good. There’s just a couple times is some of your videos where the time gets glitchy. Practice with a metronome a lot. Once you can lock everything in you can add stylistic movement to your pieces.